Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 09:09 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,686,673 times

Advertisements

The Cook was the same Powell Cook who had his grocery in the 200 west block of Maple.

Sermon was Roger T Sermon who was mayor for 26 or 27 years until he died in 1950.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 12:14 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,717,205 times
I saw that ad in a Polk's and couldn't help but notice there was a ""Bogurt" (sic) and "Brown" Looks like they might have bought that location from Petey.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:57 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,419,668 times
It's time for a mystery. This isn't the one I planned, just something to hold you over. What is the identity of this structure? Your only clue is that somewhere in the last 380 pages we have discussed it.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
It's time for a mystery. This isn't the one I planned, just something to hold you over. What is the identity of this structure? Your only clue is that somewhere in the last 380 pages we have discussed it.
Just a guess but looks like the Methodist Church at Maple and Spring before it was redone, below. It is difficult telling because there is no "one-way sign" in the original........

Last edited by WCHS'59; 07-25-2013 at 08:59 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy664 View Post
Preserve those memories, Sally.

Oakley Sunglasses

Sadly, we have not heard from Sally since about August 2012.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Something that strikes me in this photo is the storm drain. I dont know why but it just does. In my old neighborhood on Harkless Street, the street has been paved since I left but there are no underground storm drains. There is all open ditches or the water drains along the side of the pavement that has no curbing to the nearest open ditch.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 07-25-2013 at 10:11 PM..

Old 07-26-2013, 12:10 AM

778 posts, read 1,010,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I was born in Ft. Sill.

Was that your dog tag when you were born? chuckle.
[/quote]

This was the badge that was bolted to my Dad's license plate to gain access to the base. I have just within the last several months or so, found a picture of the army hospital that I was born in. Never been back to see the place. I was told the hospital was either torn down, or repurposed.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post

This was the badge that was bolted to my Dad's license plate to gain access to the base. I have just within the last several months or so, found a picture of the army hospital that I was born in. Never been back to see the place. I was told the hospital was either torn down, or repurposed.[/quote]

They have just in the past two years or so quit requiring ID on automobiles to enter DoD posts. DoD decals on the upper driver windshield to include the post or base was the last requirement. At other times in the past there has been a DoD decal required on the front driver bumper.

There is now a 100% personal ID check and if you dont have one they send you to the main gate to state your business and get a temporary pass.

Personal IDs are electronically checked and I guess someone felt that was more secure than IDing automobiles by eye. I have not been around during going to work time so dont know if this slows things up or not.

I would be curious as to whether Lake City workers operate under the same premise. It is an Army post, more or less.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post

This was the badge that was bolted to my Dad's license plate to gain access to the base. I have just within the last several months or so, found a picture of the army hospital that I was born in. Never been back to see the place. I was told the hospital was either torn down, or repurposed.[/quote]
Reynolds Army Community Hospital - Fort Sill, Oklahoma

Here is a history of that hospital. If you click on "Home" it shows the current facility.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:00 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,419,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Just a guess but looks like the Methodist Church at Maple and Spring before it was redone, below. It is difficult telling because there is no "one-way sign" in the original........
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post
I'm still processing the info about the funeral home.... Is this the one that's being mentioned?
It is indeed the Methodist Church. Did you notice the funeral home in the background?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City