Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 07:34 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
It definitely isn't that corner, as the old jail has been there since 1859. The fenced yard in the foreground could be the lawn of the courthouse. There is a similar falloff at Lexington & Main that would align with this view. Perhaps the buildings pictured are gone?

If we ask nicely perhaps Dallas would check his earliest Polks' for the address of Alexander's Hardware, hopefully found next door to a grocer. My Pearl Wilcox books don't list an Alexander Hardware. The only Alexander store was in Lake City.

I'm also a bit confused by the photo's caption "Masonic Temple". Perhaps it was upstairs.
NEWS FLASH! It is indeed the Masonic Building, on the SE corner of Main & Lexington. This photo was taken after January 19, 1907, when the building was dedicated; and prior to fall of 1908, because at that time Jesse Martin bought out the stock of W G Alexander Hardware and moved it to 113 W Lexington, where he opened his own store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 07:50 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
Quote:
NEWS FLASH! It is indeed the Masonic Building, on the SE corner of Main & Lexington. This photo was taken after January 19, 1907, when the building was dedicated; and prior to fall of 1908, because at that time Jesse Martin bought out the stock of W G Alexander Hardware and moved it to 113 W Lexington, where he opened his own store.
That would make it where Milgram's grocery later located. The current building at that location houses an office products place according to Google. The building in the photo must have been replaced at some point?

Old 08-02-2013, 08:08 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Quote:
It definitely isn't that corner, as the old jail has been there since 1859. The fenced yard in the foreground could be the lawn of the courthouse. There is a similar falloff at Lexington & Main that would align with this view. Perhaps the buildings pictured are gone?

If we ask nicely perhaps Dallas would check his earliest Polks' for the address of Alexander's Hardware, hopefully found next door to a grocer. My Pearl Wilcox books don't list an Alexander Hardware. The only Alexander store was in Lake City.

I'm also a bit confused by the photo's caption "Masonic Temple". Perhaps it was upstairs.
Ask Nicely and Ye Shall Receive:

HOWEVER . . . this is the now-Portrait Gallery at Main and Kansas, 126 S. Main, also the home of the Masonic Temple in 1932

Old 08-02-2013, 08:26 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Quote:

BTW, by 1932 Jesse and Daisy Martin were officers of Martin-Welch Hardware & Plumbing Co, with location at 214 N. Liberty. Their residence is very near where this previously mystery photo was taken, 131 E. Kansas. It does look like the photo was shot on what would be the grounds of Chicago Title. The building is virtually intact, save for the Main-facing top, which looks to have been lopped off.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:50 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
That would make it where Milgram's grocery later located. The current building at that location houses an office products place according to Google. The building in the photo must have been replaced at some point?
OOPS! Mea Culpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
BTW, by 1932 Jesse and Daisy Martin were officers of Martin-Welch Hardware & Plumbing Co, with location at 214 N. Liberty. Their residence is very near where this previously mystery photo was taken, 131 E. Kansas. It does look like the photo was shot on what would be the grounds of Chicago Title. The building is virtually intact, save for the Main-facing top, which looks to have been lopped off.
You win! I was at the wrong end of the block on the wrong side. In my day that building housed the Eagles Lodge. I didn't realize the Masons had it first.

http://goo.gl/maps/8L0VK

Old 08-02-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
OOPS! Mea Culpa!

You win! I was at the wrong end of the block on the wrong side. In my day that building housed the Eagles Lodge. I didn't realize the Masons had it first.

http://goo.gl/maps/8L0VK
The Eagles (or someone) had a bowling alley in that building that used boy pinsetters the only time I ever went in there.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:35 PM

First National Bank Building. The doorway on the corner, Liberty Street side, was the street entrance to Bogart and Brown or Petey Childers prescriptions. The inside entrance was through the double doors and turn right. The waiting chairs were positioned just below the window. Even to my young perception the area was but a small niche.

And the little black oblong below the window was the night deposit box. It took me a number of years in my childhood to understand what the night deposit was all about. The drop must have went straight to the basement.

That drop box is gone at the current Bank of America.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:32 AM

778 posts, read 1,024,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Help me out here. Where is this? My thinking is that this is the corner of N Main and E Van Horn (Truman Road) looking east and the building is what became Fire Station No. 1. That would make the building next door as the 1859 jail.

But Google shows the fire station as a two story building and the next building does not look a lot like the jail.

Taken in 1912

Taken in 2012

Old 08-03-2013, 01:36 AM

Ad from 1930 Gleam

Old 08-03-2013, 02:04 AM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City