Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 07:58 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smh69 View Post
I'm thinking that picture was taken sometime in the late 30's to early 40's. This is based on the vintage of the cars that predominantly show in picture. Most are mid to late 30's vintage.
Also, I do not think Blatz beer was ever brewed in KC. I believe it was just a Milwaukee brew.

I don't know Jack about autos/years, but those cars did look to me like Bonnie and Clyde era stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 08:06 PM

44 posts, read 52,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I don't know Jack about autos/years, but those cars did look to me like Bonnie and Clyde era stuff.
Clyde did like his V8 Fords. I believe that is what he was driving the night of the big "shoot em up" at the Red Crown Tavern/lodge in Platte City, very near the current day KCI airport. Buck, his brother died a few days later in Iowa from wounds received during the escape.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:20 AM

778 posts, read 1,023,867 times
Quote:
I'm thinking that picture was taken sometime in the late 30's to early 40's. This is based on the vintage of the cars that predominantly show in picture. Most are mid to late 30's vintage.
Also, I do not think Blatz beer was ever brewed in KC. I believe it was just a Milwaukee brew.

Valentin Blatz Brewing Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Missouri Valley Special Collections : Item Viewer

Looking north across Missouri River towards Harlem during flood-1881

Last edited by SilverDoc; 09-26-2013 at 07:31 AM..

Old 09-26-2013, 08:13 AM

44 posts, read 52,427 times
Look's like Blatz was made in KC for a while. I was familiar with Muehlbach, Geotz and Imperial, but thought the Blatz was only sold in town, and not actually brewed here. After a little research, I found that there were over 2 dozen local breweries at one time or another. I think prohibition caused the demise of many as well as later consolidation. Here is a link if anyone is interested. The old Imperial building is still standing down on Southwest Boulevard, not too far from Boulevard Brewing. It is right across the street from Margarita's Mexican restaurant.
KCRag Forum - View topic - Significant Breweries in Kansas City History

Old 09-26-2013, 08:17 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times

Old 09-26-2013, 12:05 PM

Battery C Armory, Missouri National Guard at 103-107 S Osage, 1916 Sanborn Maps.

Truman's Battery was "D," which originally was a Kansas City unit.

I dont recall an armory on Osage but have a vague recollection as to when the Armory, or at least a new brick building, was opened on Crysler Street.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:50 PM

778 posts, read 1,023,867 times
Quote:
Look's like Blatz was made in KC for a while. I was familiar with Muehlbach, Geotz and Imperial, but thought the Blatz was only sold in town, and not actually brewed here. After a little research, I found that there were over 2 dozen local breweries at one time or another. I think prohibition caused the demise of many as well as later consolidation. Here is a link if anyone is interested. The old Imperial building is still standing down on Southwest Boulevard, not too far from Boulevard Brewing. It is right across the street from Margarita's Mexican restaurant.
KCRag Forum - View topic - Significant Breweries in Kansas City History

Imperial Brewery- Then and now

Old 09-27-2013, 07:54 AM

I posted the below on another thread. I have just noticed on a map that 15th Street continues for one block in the east part of town between Queen Ridge Way and Ellison Way about 800 feet west of M-291.

"As I was growing up, my mother always referred to Truman Road as 15th Street. Apparently a good many people thought Truman Road in Independence was a renamed 15th Street—as it was in Kansas City.

"When I started driving in ’57, I discovered that 15th Street in Independence was about three or four blocks south of Truman Road. In fact, Walnut becomes 15th Street as one drives west.

"The Independence 15th Street is not contiguous through the west part of town but seems to be in grid line with Kansas City’s former 15th Street (Truman Road).

"When Kansas City renamed their 15th Street to Truman Road in the late 40s, I think many folks thought that what became Truman Road in Independence was also formerly called 15th Street.

"But in Independence what became Truman Road in the late 40s was called Van Horn Road and that road curved into Kansas City’s former 15th Street at some point.

"I also heard a lot of adults talking about Spring Branch Road. I never could figure out where that was. Later I found out that Spring Branch, which started at Noland Road heading east to M-7 in line with Van Horn Road was also designated Truman Road."

Old 09-27-2013, 08:07 AM

Independence Avenue (Highway 24) in 1916 ended at Liberty. The street took up again at Noland and seems to have gone as far east as Emery Street.

It looks like Roosevelt Park in the upper left hand side of the map later became Slover Park, which later became the site for the Truman Library. I think I mentioned once before that Truman at first wanted his library to be on the site of The Campus, but Robert Weatherford the library site coordinator could not get the RLDS and LDS churches to agree with each other.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:51 AM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
I have to admit, in all my globetrotting years I never heard of Harlem, Missouri
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City