Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2013, 11:53 AM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

It was also the Three Trails Hotel at one time.

Interesting because the Three Trails Hotel is listed across the street in 1960 at 517 W Maple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 11:57 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Interesting because the Three Trails Hotel is listed across the street in 1960 at 517 W Maple
Chuckle, looks like I got them mixed up. 1960ish was the time frame I was thinking.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:16 PM

Current day Three Trails Inn at 1107 West College.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:31 PM

Prior to this post office building being constructed at Lexington, Osage, and Maple in 1911, the Independence Post Office was located at 218 West Maple.

Prior to that it was at 123 South Liberty and prior to that it was at 209 West Lexington.

Quite a change in digs for what was previously very small post office working areas.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:

North Main Street home of Frederick Herman Henry Knoepker from 1896 to 1947, founder of the Knoepker mercantile store at 106-108 west Maple.

714 N Main....still looks in good shape with upkeep. Can't say the same for 522 W Maple which is in dire need of a paint job

Old 10-16-2013, 08:29 PM

Sometime before 1914, William Pitt, an Independence city councilman built a three story back yard observatory similar to this one but on a smaller scale. It had a high powered telescope that peered through open doors similar to the photo and had a rotating turret to follow the stars. Pitt was an amateur astronomer.

The observatory was built at his home at 1310 West Short, just a few houses west of Lexington Street.

I am not sure whether the observatory was still there in the fifties but I can recall looking for it.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:

Sometime before 1914, William Pitt, an Independence city councilman built a three story back yard observatory similar to this one but on a smaller scale. It had a high powered telescope that peered through open doors similar to the photo and had a rotating turret to follow the stars. Pitt was an amateur astronomer.

The observatory was built at his home at 1310 West Short, just a few houses west of Lexington Street.

I am not sure whether the observatory was still there in the fifties but I can recall looking for it.
I sure never saw it, in fact never heard of it until now.

Right behind Mrs Cooper's Hobbies

Old 10-16-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I sure never saw it, in fact never heard of it until now.

Right behind Mrs Cooper's Hobbies
This is a depiction of a telescope made by William Pitt at his home after he moved to Kansas City. It was moved to the University of Kansas.

Fig. 3. This drawing, a plan view of the Pitt telescope by Manley J. Hood, who carried out the majority of the mechanical design and construction of the telescope, shows the instrument in its original prime focus configuration. Subsequent photos of the telescope show it after its conversion to a Newtonian reflector under the supervision of the late Professor N. Wyman Storer. (Photograph from The Kansas Engineer [March 1928], p. 15, courtesy of the University of Kansas Archives.)

Originally, Alter and Pitt had hoped to acquire a clear quartz disk of the appropriate size to be used as the primary of the new instrument. Failing in this endeavor, it was decided to achieve the high degree of thermal stability required of telescope mirrors by using a disk made of pyrex. The disk, arriving in Kansas City in January 1928, weighed about 250 pounds, and was 27.5 inches in diameter and 4.5 inches thick; it cost $250. The grinding and polishing of the blank was carried out in Mr Pitt's home in Kansas City-specifically in an emptied swimming pool in the amateur astronomer's basement. For over a year, Pitt and an assistant carried out the grinding, polishing and figuring of the mirror. By February 1929, knife-edge tests conducted by Alter and Pitt indicated that the desired paraboloidal figure had been nearly achieved. Shortly thereafter, the 27-inch mirror was transported to Lawrence for installation at the Observatory. At the time of its installation in 1929, the William Pitt-University of Kansas 27-inch telescope was the first telescope to have its main light-gathering element made of Pyrex, although a 16-inch secondary mirror made of Pyrex was in use at Mt. Wilson at the time.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 10-16-2013 at 10:18 PM..

Old 10-17-2013, 08:01 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:

A childhood chum of mine lived a few houses east of this. I don't recall anything resembling an observatory while hanging out over there. It should have been easily visible from the alley.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
A childhood chum of mine lived a few houses east of this. I don't recall anything resembling an observatory while hanging out over there. It should have been easily visible from the alley.
Here is all I could find from the Jackson County Historical Society

Page 7: "William Pitt, in addition to being one of Kansas City's leading business men, was also an amateur astronomer of considerable distinction. At his home on West Short Street [in Independence] he built an observatory, installing a powerful telescope for his own use and for the enjoyment of others. ..[At his next home at 53rd and Ward Parkways in Kansas City] Pitt built one of the largest reflector telescopes in the Middle West. Eventually the telescope was placed in the University of Kansas, at Lawrence." He moved to New Jersey with his wife in 1940 before dying in 1950. AuthorSue Gentry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City