Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2013, 01:53 PM

44 posts, read 52,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
It appears there is one or more recording or distribution companies, including Cavern Custom records, in the underground area.
I believe the underground recording studio was Cavern Studios/Pierce Records in the late 60's. There was sign at the entrance to the caves that was there up into the 70's as best I recall. I had a classmate that did some recording there. This is also where the "Classmen", did their recordings on Pearce Records. They did "Julie, Julie" and "Graduation Goodbye" there in '69. I do not remember everyone in the group, however Drew and Doug Dimmel were mainstays. They were Van Horn graduates. Drew went on to Channel 9 as an announcer. Unfortunately, he contracted Parkinson's disease, which I'm sure led to his retirement.

Last edited by smh69; 10-30-2013 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:

An Independence dairy but licensed by the city of Kansas City Heath Department.

(Forum formatting appears to have returned.)
Showegerdt's Dairy Farm was located just West of 35th and Noland. The large dairy barn is still there as is the Showengerdt home which is just West of the Barn. Back in the mid 60's, the barn was the "Red Barn Hardware" store. It lasted up into the late 70's or early 80's. Originally the barn was yellow, but was painted red when hardware store started. It was started by Len LeCluyse and Bill Schwarz(Len's brother in law).
At one time there was another smaller milking barn on the East side of the current barn. It was torn down in the late 60's.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:39 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smh69 View Post
Showegerdt's Dairy Farm was located just West of 35th and Noland. The large dairy barn is still there as is the Showengerdt home which is just West of the Barn. Back in the mid 60's, the barn was the "Red Barn Hardware" store. It lasted up into the late 70's or early 80's. Originally the barn was yellow, but was painted red when hardware store started. It was started by Len LeCluyse and Bill Schwarz(Len's brother in law).
At one time there was another smaller milking barn on the East side of the current barn. It was torn down in the late 60's.
Thanks, that is quite interesting.

For a while in the early sixties, I lived on 35th Street at Brentwood and did not know that, chuckle.

I vaguely remember a Red Barn Hardware but don't think I was ever in there. I found the barn on Google.

Earlier, in high school, I do remember driving with my Dickinson Road sweetie on a narrow chip and seal road that was to become 35th Street. I always turned east from Noland though, rather than west. There was nothing along that road but cornfields.

It is still curious as to why the KC Health Department would be the license-or.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I believe the underground recording studio was Cavern Studios/Pierce Records in the late 60's. There was sign at the entrance to the caves that was there up into the 70's as best I recall. I had a classmate that did some recording there. This is also where the "Classmen", did their recordings on Pearce Records. They did "Julie, Julie" and "Graduation Goodbye" there in '69. I do not remember everyone in the group, however Drew and Doug Dimmel were mainstays. They were Van Horn graduates. Drew went on to Channel 9 as an announcer. Unfortunately, he contracted Parkinson's disease, which I'm sure led to his retirement.
Somewhere on the web when searching the Truman Road address, there was a Pierce at that location that popped up. Pierce was listed as a division of Mercury Records. Mercury at one time was a big recording company.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:36 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,962 times
Quote:
After leaving Ch. 9 Dimmel worked in local radio behind the scenes. I met him on a professional basis then, and amazed him by recalling having met him some twenty years earlier when I did a service call at his home. I remembered the white piano he had in the family room. I'm not sure if he is still working.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,182 times
Default Love the history....another question...

Quote:
I also seem to recall that Dynamite Mary's was on Cement City Road. Never was there, only heard about it.
Looking for more info on Dynamite Mary's and also, was there something called Pleasuretski's???

Old 10-30-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lughead View Post
Looking for more info on Dynamite Mary's and also, was there something called Pleasuretski's???
I was in ninth grade citizenship class in 1955-56 and remember the teacher mentioning Dynamite Mary's as being a bad rough place to be. I cannot recall what was being discussed in class that would have prompted him to mention it. However, I had heard rumors prior to that time. He only mentioned that it was on Cement City Road. At that time, I had no idea where Cement City Road was, only that it was near the Missouri River.

In high school in 1958 when exploring the county with my Dickinson Road sweetie, I remember driving by the place and "discovering" where it was at. There were no street signs back then so I surmised I was on Cement City Road. I only saw it that one time and it was pretty run down.

At the time, the establishment was in Jackson County. Today, it would be in Sugar Creek.

I think Mad Anthonie might have mentioned Dynamite Mary's one time on here.

I have never heard of Pleasuretski's.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lughead View Post
Dynamite Mary's tavern/bar was just 1/2 mile or so West of current day 291(old 71 Bypass). It is my understanding that sometime in the mid to late 50's it changed to the "Pleasurette". I was also told that the Pleasurette catered to the African American population, while I'm sure the Dynamite Mary's was probably a "white only" establishment. All this was before me, but comes from a reliable friend who worked at Standard Oil during the 40's and 50's. I have heard many a gruesome tale about Dynamite Mary's from many Standard Oil employee's. It was a rough place.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:40 PM

2,373 posts, read 2,760,889 times
Quote:
Dynamite Mary's tavern/bar was just 1/2 mile or so West of current day 291(old 71 Bypass). It is my understanding that sometime in the mid to late 50's it changed to the "Pleasurette". I was also told that the Pleasurette catered to the African American population, while I'm sure the Dynamite Mary's was probably a "white only" establishment. All this was before me, but comes from a reliable friend who worked at Standard Oil during the 40's and 50's. I have heard many a gruesome tale about Dynamite Mary's from many Standard Oil employee's. It was a rough place.

So what was the notoriety of these places? Just biker type dives/taverns out in the sticks or were they reportedly places of ill repute?

Old 10-31-2013, 07:36 PM

Based on what I have heard, it was just a dive, catering to hard drinkers, that was off the beaten path. Probably was a little bit of everything there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City