Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 07:05 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,769,103 times

Advertisements

Good going MRG.

I still cannot picture that particular spot on M-291 in my mind. The widened M-291 went just to the east of that spot and the bridge is gone and the road closed--from Courtney anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 08:03 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Good going MRG.

I still cannot picture that particular spot on M-291 in my mind. The widened M-291 went just to the east of that spot and the bridge is gone and the road closed--from Courtney anyway.
Perhaps this will help.

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

This view was taken just across the street from the previous one, still looking south.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!

For extra credit answer these questions:

Where does M-291 cross Mill Creek?

Name the 5 parks the creek traverses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
@ Courtney Rd

NOT Mill Creek Park
Mill Creek originates from one of the old springs of Independence, long since covered over. It emerges from a tube in the SE corner of McCoy Park at College & Spring. It then meanders through Slover Park (just west of the Truman Library), Mill Creek Park, the River Bluff Nature Preserve, and then empties into the Mighty Mo at the eastern end of La Benite Park.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:50 AM

This view I can identify with. At this intersection location, there were once several business buildings. It was a busy corner. This would have been back in the US 71 By Pass days. By the late fifties, this area had began to die out.

M-291 to Courtney Road and then north to Atherton Road was my favorite way to go to Fort Osage. I enjoyed going the back way rather than the easy way along US 24 to Buckner and then a short jog north. Nowadays, the Courtney-Atherton way is blocked because the rickety wood bridge over the tracks east of Atherton was torn out several years ago.

One can still use Courtney Road to get to Fort Osage, though, by hitting Blue Mills road.

This view I still have a hard time mentally fitting M-291 into.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
This view I can identify with. At this intersection location, there were once several business buildings. It was a busy corner. This would have been back in the US 71 By Pass days. By the late fifties, this area had began to die out.

M-291 to Courtney Road and then north to Atherton Road was my favorite way to go to Fort Osage. I enjoyed going the back way rather than the easy way along US 24 to Buckner and then a short jog north. Nowadays, the Courtney-Atherton way is blocked because the rickety wood bridge over the tracks east of Atherton was torn out several years ago.

One can still use Courtney Road to get to Fort Osage, though, by hitting Blue Mills road.

This view I still have a hard time mentally fitting M-291 into.
The second view was taken standing next to the billboard in the first view.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Somewhere on the Courtney road to Blue Mills road to Sibley route, there was a lone tavern sitting on the north side of the road. It seemed to be way out in the middle of nowhere, although I think the owners lived behind it. I always wondered how it could do any business being in such a desolate area.

It also seemed out of place because the long side wall of the building, as I recall, was right along side the ditch paralleling the roadway. There was a very small gravel parking lot. Last time I drove Blue Mills road, a couple years ago, the area was not so desolate and I could not find that place. However, I had no sense of exactly where it was.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:22 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,611 times
Quote:
Somewhere on the Courtney road to Blue Mills road to Sibley route, there was a lone tavern sitting on the north side of the road. It seemed to be way out in the middle of nowhere, although I think the owners lived behind it. I always wondered how it could do any business being in such a desolate area.

It also seemed out of place because the long side wall of the building, as I recall, was right along side the ditch paralleling the roadway. There was a very small gravel parking lot. Last time I drove Blue Mills road, a couple years ago, the area was not so desolate and I could not find that place. However, I had no sense of exactly where it was.

Couldn't find that (not that I expected to since it was out of the City Limits, but a perusal of "Taverns" circa 1957 shows 16 of 28 establishments having "(PO KCMO) or (PO Sugar Creek)" after their addresses. Truman, Winner, US 24, N. Sterling. No doubt many a thirsty gentleman from Standard Oil or Sheffield stopping by after work

Old 01-13-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Couldn't find that (not that I expected to since it was out of the City Limits, but a perusal of "Taverns" circa 1957 shows 16 of 28 establishments having "(PO KCMO) or (PO Sugar Creek)" after their addresses. Truman, Winner, US 24, N. Sterling. No doubt many a thirsty gentleman from Standard Oil or Sheffield stopping by after work
Many of the wilder taverns were located outside of town, to take advantage of looser laws in the county coupled with fewer officers to enforce them. Before the 1960 annexation Fairmount and Mount Washington were rather rough places to get a drink. It took the city many years after annexation to clean them up. Even in my PD days in the 1970s there were still many a rough club down that way. Most are long gone.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I took an aerial cruise along the entire route hoping to find a foot print on the north side without any luck. I did find one footprint, but it was too far off the road to be what I recall.

I really did not know that area back then since there were no street signs and I did not know the name of the roads and I would have to use landmarks. When going the Atherton way, I knew i was on the right track when I got to Sunshine Lakes (maybe Shady Lakes was the name) and later the rickety wood bridge over the tracks confirmed where I was.

Taking Courtney to Blue Mills to Sibley, I knew I was on the right road when I passed that tavern.

Taking these routes was more adventurous that going down US 24 to Buckner.

The civilization of that area especially long Blue Mills has probably jumped five or six fold since my days treking to Fort Osage. I noticed more than a few residences in that area have swimming pools, including a few in ground, chuckle.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:49 AM

The above public square formed the basis for laying out Independence Square.

Independence was one of the first of 57 county seats in the state of Missouri to be laid out following what came to be known as the Shelbyville plan. This plan was first introduced by the town of Shelbyville, Tennessee, in 1810.

The current day Shelbyville, population 20,000, is shown above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City