Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 05:33 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I was direction challenged when I originally wrote that it was west.

Over the past couple years I have reminisced about a tavern that was some where on, i think, Blue Mills Road. I dont recall a name and dont even recall seeing a name on the premises as I was driving by. It was way out by itself and very close to the road. A longish white building as I recall.

Since there were no street signs back then, I would use it as a landmark to assure myself that I was headed in the right direction for Fort Osage, when I took the south route from M-291 and Courtney.

Sometimes I would head north to Atherton and go that route over the old rickety RR bridge to Fort Osage.

But other times, I would head toward Blue Mills Road from Courtney, although I did not know where Blue Mills Road was at the time. I just drove and when I came across the tavern I knew I was on the right track.

Do you know where that tavern might have been?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
This sounds familiar to me. I believe it was on the north side of Blue Mills Road, but I am not sure. I certainly do not recall any name. My wife and I were out there a few months ago, but did not pay close attention and I think we were on and off Blue Mills so we may not have passed it.

I think I know what place you're thinking of. You could take 24 highway east of Indep. to the Twyman/7 highway exit and turn north going past Fort Osage High School to Blue Mills. There was a building just west of Twyman Road on the north side of Blue Mills. I seem to remember a large beer sign hanging from a pole next to the street. I don't recall the name of the tavern, though. Sorry I can't be more helpful.Oh, and the rickety old bridge on Atherton-Sibley road was torn down probably 10-15 yrs ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Missouri and Kansas Telephone Building-1915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

Welcome back Doc! I was wondering where you were hiding.
Just lurking in the shadows, Mad! Haven't really had anything good to contribute.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Did someone mention the DX Station?

Yippee! I can post pictures. Wow! LOL!
Quote:
That is Stan's DX that was on the northeast corner. MAD had previously posted a 1988 photo of it shortly before it was torn down. Stan was John Brown's daugther's husband. He ran the station when it was on the northwest corner, but I don't think it was called Stan's until this new one was built.

He had a huge stack of old tires behind this station that had been taken off cars when the owner bought a new set. I could not afford new tires or a new tire, so when I needed one I went back there and picked out the best one I could find. He charged me $1 for the tire and I don't believe he charged me to put it on my car.

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Marka; 02-15-2014 at 02:25 AM..

Old 02-12-2014, 06:18 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
I just saw where Stan Calvert passed away in 1998 at age 76.

I also noticed that the Kansas City Star had his station address as 15800 Alton.

In the pesky address system used in Independence, C&J across the street had their address at 1536 E Alton.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Anthonie, did you scan the slides of Kiger? Are they on this site?
Quote:
The most popular milk sold in the 1950s in the grocery store where I worked at 23rd and Kiger was Adams milk from the Blue Springs Adams Dairy.

The earliest I can recall is that a half gallon waxed carton sold for 37 cents. We also carried Borden's milk but Adams outsold it by quite a bit.

Later, I went to work at a grocery store in Fairmount and they only carried Foremost milk.

Adams seemed to have been restricted to the eastern Independence area.

I can just barely recall driving by the dairy and it was out in a country area rather remote at the time. I was dismayed when I first heard the company went out of business.

The last time I drove in that area, I was totally turned around.
Quote:
That is now where the Wal-Mart Super Center and Home Depot are.

Actually, part of the old Adams Dairy is still standing at the southwest corner of what is now Adams Dairy Parkway and R.D. Mize. It has been converted into another business of some sort. North across R.D. Mize at old Adams Dairy Road was an old two story house (the Adams family home?) that has since been torn down, and is where the rear of Walmart backs up to R.D. Mize. Walmart and Home Depot are just north on Coronado Drive.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
I think I know what place you're thinking of. You could take 24 highway east of Indep. to the Twyman/7 highway exit and turn north going past Fort Osage High School to Blue Mills. There was a building just west of Twyman Road on the north side of Blue Mills. I seem to remember a large beer sign hanging from a pole next to the street. I don't recall the name of the tavern, though. Sorry I can't be more helpful.Oh, and the rickety old bridge on Atherton-Sibley road was torn down probably 10-15 yrs ago.

I had noticed this footprint before but thought it was too far off the roadway to be the place I was thinking about. Maybe my RAM needs a chksdk. I also remember the drive and parking went to the west side of the building and around to the back. It was gravel and this seems to fit the bill. This footprint is just west of Twyman on the north side of Blue Mills.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:12 PM

908 posts, read 725,280 times
Quote:

I had noticed this footprint before but thought it was too far off the roadway to be the place I was thinking about. Maybe my RAM needs a chksdk. I also remember the drive and parking went to the west side of the building and around to the back. It was gravel and this seems to fit the bill. This footprint is just west of Twyman on the north side of Blue Mills.
You and I are thinking of two totally different places. The one my minds sees is right off the road and has trees around it.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:52 AM

On this side is the DX station with two bays, the hardware, the dime store, and the laundromat. The dime store also had a contract US mail office inside. Mrs Davis was the main sales lady with Mrs Brown doing the management. I dont recall who worked the hardware with John Brown.

On this side the photo says "Shoe Repair" and "Barber Shop" but I believe the shoe repair was originally a beauty shop.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:04 AM

908 posts, read 725,280 times
Quote:
On this side the photo says "Shoe Repair" and "Barber Shop" but I believe the shoe repair was originally a beauty shop.
I used t get my hair cuts at that barber shop. I don't recall whether it was during my teen years or after I got out of the Army.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:19 PM

I gathered this information from some sites on the web. Latimer Motors started at 101 E 24 Highway in 1946. They must have transfered to the 301 S Main site when the Kaiser-Fraser dealer went out. Info on the Truman Library web site says that Latimer made sure that Harry Truman drove his cars. Latimer sold Dodge Plymouth. I saw Harry Truman in '57 driving a '57 Chrysler. The library indicated that Latimer also supplied Chrysler cars to Truman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City