Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 08:14 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,765,093 times

Advertisements

Back to the Pictorial Shopper of September 1947.

The Maywood Theater is advertised as being "Air Conditioned."

The Plaza Theater is advertised as being "Air Conditioned."

The Granada Theater is advertised as being "Cooled by Refrigeration."

I wonder what the difference is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
And Sept 1947 would have been appropriate. Less than two months after marrying my Dad.
Uh, you were just a gleam in your dad's eye, I suppose.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:14 PM

320 posts, read 309,818 times
someone else's remembrances I clipped several years ago. Seems to mirror those memories that have been shared here. I presume Raymond Necessary is connected to Necessary Road in eastern Independence?

Last edited by Major Tom 58; 03-09-2014 at 12:30 PM..

Old 03-09-2014, 01:44 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
For what year 2012? I don't see it on the 60s photo . . .or are my eyes deceiving me?

In 1960 the first westside address n. of Truman was Liberty Apts. 306 N Liberty. With apts 101 - 304 thus three stories. The first eastside was 315 Tindall Apts the Tindalls plus 6 units.
I just checked the Polk's for 1961-70. The Apartments were listed and occupied in 1969, the address disappeared in the 1970 edition.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:10 PM

In 1937 - 1941 William Chrisman High School did not have a cafeteria says Mary Jo Spake the writer of the article.

In 1956 - 1957, my last school year at the old building, it still did not have a cafeteria. At lunch, my gang of four raced each other up Maple Street to the square each day (thinking nothing of it and we were never sore or tired for the effort) and ate at Brown’s Café wolfing down a hamburger and curly q fries each day. I don’t recall eating anywhere else but there were times I would bring my lunch, especially when the World Series was on TV in the auditorium.

After leaving Brown’s, we went into Katz Drug Store looking at all the unique stuff they had on sale and watching the dropouts play pinball. Then we leisurely walked back to school on Lexington Street sometimes stopping in at the Moody Motors used car lot to take a quick look at what we hoped we could drive in another year when we would get our license. I can still recall a '55 DeSoto that looked so cool.

DeSoto was gone from the automobile scene by 1961. Even Groucho Marx could not save it.

Crown Drug was on the northwest corner of Main and Maple. It later became Goldman's Jewelry. It is now the Clinton Drug Store old time soda place. Woolworth's was directly across from the courthouse entry doors on Maple Street.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
someone else's remembrances I clipped several years ago. Seems to mirror those memories that have been shared here. I presume Raymond Necessary is connected to Necessary Road in eastern Independence?
One site says that C. Raymond Necessary was on the Arizona when it went down. A person who appears to be his grandfather, Wesley Necessary, is mentioned on that site as being in the 1880 Jackson County census. But no
mention of Necessary Road.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 03-09-2014 at 02:56 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 04:48 AM

320 posts, read 309,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
One site says that C. Raymond Necessary was on the Arizona when it went down. A person who appears to be his grandfather, Wesley Necessary, is mentioned on that site as being in the 1880 Jackson County census. But no
mention of Necessary Road.
I found another site showing his father being a family survivor, Bryan Necessary at 307 1/2 Pleasant street. Still nothing to tie the family name to the roadway. Incidentally, because of construction of the Little Blue Pkwy, Necessary road is only a short outer road now. It serves as an entrance to the Pop Warner football fields and a parking area to get onto the biking trail that follows the Little Blue River.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:35 AM

In September 1947, the Pictorial Shopper was published and distributed each Friday morning to Independence, Evanston, Fairland Heights, Maywood, Fairmount, Sugar Creek, Hayden Heights, Raytown, Sterling Heights, Crysler Meadows, Blue Ridge, Golden Acres, Beverly Hills.

No mention of Englewood.

The city limits of Independence at the time was generally 23rd/Aberdeen on the south, Forest/River on the west, Leslie/Strode on the east, and Jones on the north.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:51 AM

Pictorial Shopper, September 1947

Washing machines given 2-day service, radios one day service, refrigerators repaired in your home or our shop. All other home appliances repaired. Call for the service truck. Guaranteed work. Fast Service. Robinson’s Electrical Shop, 127 E Lexington. CL 2871.

127 E Lexington is the home of Allin’s Taxidermy.

Has been as long as I can remember so this Robinson fellow, maybe back from the war, apparently did not last long.

The building goes back quite a way from Lexington. Apparently they do archery sales also.

Never have I been in there although the owner still appears to still be a fellow ’59 graduate whose family operated the place when I was in junior and senior high.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:39 AM

"What car dealership used to be on the corner of Lexington and Walnut?"

I cut and pasted this question from the Jackson County Historical Society web page. They don't give an answer but advise one can find the information in their archives.

I don't recall a car dealer on that corner but MRG Dallas mentioned Galen Boyer Pontiac-Cadillac being on Lexington for used cars or maybe the entire Boyer dealership prior to them being on Maple Street next to the Granada Theater.

Rodekopf Nash was on Lexington at one time also. I seem to recall a Packard dealer on Lexington, also.

And which corner would be interesting. Maybe it would have to be where the UN Peace Plaza is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City