Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 12:11 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,019 times

Advertisements

Also in 1952 Gillmor Used Cars are listed at 907 WL, same address later for GB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 01:25 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,768,063 times

I came across this vintage postcard displayed on the Jackson County Historical Society web page. There was no detail. This apparently shows what The Auditorium area was originally envisioned to be. Or what it may still be envisioned to be since the LDS building is shown on the corner of River and Walnut. That building was erected in my lifetime but I cannot recall when.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:37 PM

"What was the most popular hair-do of the William Chrisman High School Graduating Class of 1968?"

Here is another question posed on the Jackson County Historical Society web page without an answer but saying the answer is within the Society's archives.

Some of you younger whipper snappers may be able to answer this question. I was in my second of three years in Germany at the time and don't have any idea of the home hair styles during that time.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:13 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
"What was the most popular hair-do of the William Chrisman High School Graduating Class of 1968?"

Here is another question posed on the Jackson County Historical Society web page without an answer but saying the answer is within the Society's archives.

Some of you younger whipper snappers may be able to answer this question. I was in my second of three years in Germany at the time and don't have any idea of the home hair styles during that time.

Maybe the beehive? Or a cut like Judy Carnes had on Laugh In?

For the boys, it was too early in Midwest for "girl's hair" That happened starting in 1970

Old 03-11-2014, 06:52 PM

320 posts, read 309,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Don't forget Latimer Motors which was on the SE corner of Main and Walnut.

Also, the dealer in Fairmount was Ross Chevrolet which later became Dahmer Chevrolet.

Here is a picture of Lund Studebaker. It was on Maple across from the Granada Theater.
This appears to be the location for Allen Motor Co. Owned by Elmer M. Allen back in 1911. Makes me wonder if it was also Blue Valley Studebaker owned by Harry Ek. The building just to the right should be the Missouri Kansas Telephone building Although I don't know if it still would have been at the time of this photo.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
This appears to be the location for Allen Motor Co. Owned by Elmer M. Allen back in 1911. Makes me wonder if it was also Blue Valley Studebaker owned by Harry Ek. The building just to the right should be the Missouri Kansas Telephone building Although I don't know if it still would have been at the time of this photo.
It was also the site of Blue Valley Studebaker, apparently the last Studebaker dealer in Independence. Supposedly the telephone building was the first building in Independence to have an elevator.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:38 PM

320 posts, read 309,970 times
TheSamba.com :: McIntosh Motors, Inc. - Independence, Missouri Has this been seen here? (Click on link)

Old 03-11-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

I came across this vintage postcard displayed on the Jackson County Historical Society web page. There was no detail. This apparently shows what The Auditorium area was originally envisioned to be. Or what it may still be envisioned to be since the LDS building is shown on the corner of River and Walnut. That building was erected in my lifetime but I cannot recall when.
The LDS building was erected in 1971.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:45 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,187 times
Returning to the RR topic recently discussed. The Lexington Branch that ran near the Square and through East Independence opened in 1876 as the Wyandotte, Kansas City & Northwestern Railroad. The Adams Station near present day Truman & Holke was named for a prominent landowner in that area, Peter Adams. Passenger service was available on that line until 1935, at which time all traffic was discontinued and the tracks removed from just east of present day M-291 out to the Lake City junction. By then it was part of the Missouri Pacific RR.

The old line followed the route of present day M-78 from Ranson Road to to just east of the Little Blue River. They reused the RR bridge over the Little Blue for the new road. The spur that ran into the power plant must have been built in the 1950s when the plant was built.

In this view from 1957 you can see the tree line along the original route, and the new spur just north of it.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 986 times
Maywood Theatre close in 1954 or 1955. I lived just down the street. I was 9 years old. Me and my buds rode our bicycles up there when they were gutting the place to put a bowling alley in. There were movie film all over the floor which we took home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City