Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2014, 08:32 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,472,751 times

Advertisements

Another location we discussed recently...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 09:03 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,762,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Another location we discussed recently...
Uh, I have seen that chair before--in several hundred western movies.

I wonder if there is any significance in the lady on the right having her dress hem significantly higher that the other two women. Could be she may be single.

It was at the time of this photo, give or take a couple years, that the cigar store Indian appeared on the sidewalk on Lexington on the south side of the square.

Since MAD has worked for the police department and since he is still a resident of Independence, maybe he should launch a formal investigation and find out what happened to the Indian. Last I heard it was in Lamar Hunt's office.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 03-24-2014 at 09:11 AM..

Old 03-24-2014, 09:29 AM

From 1976 edition of KC Star. According to the ad, the Independence manufacturer started in 1946. I had a Restonic mattress as a kid and never tore the tag off because I did not want to get arrested. I know a local individual who still has a Restonic.

THERE is NO TONIC like RESTONIC. For that good night's sleep every night, RESTONtC ORTHOTONIC, the "Nice to get Home to" mattress, with built-in "Marvelous Middle" provides the extra cushioning and strength in the center . . . deep down comfort. Manufactured in the area . . . Independence, Missouri, for 30 years . . . RESTONIC . . . your prescription for comfort, proper body support and durability, means "lasting comfort." For your nearest RESTONIC dealer, call the factory (816) 252-0224, or write RESTONIC, P.O. Box 225, Independence, Mo.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:35 AM

This is supposed to be a 1979 view of Independence from the top of the courthouse. Someone please explain what corner this is.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Uh, I have seen that chair before--in several hundred western movies.

I wonder if there is any significance in the lady on the right having her dress hem significantly higher that the other two women. Could be she may be single.
She looks young, perhaps she has just had a growth spurt and can't afford a new dress.

Quote:
It was at the time of this photo, give or take a couple years, that the cigar store Indian appeared on the sidewalk on Lexington on the south side of the square.

Since MAD has worked for the police department and since he is still a resident of Independence, maybe he should launch a formal investigation and find out what happened to the Indian. Last I heard it was in Lamar Hunt's office.
I'm reasonably sure that he fell in love with the Indian maid over by the antique store!

Old 03-24-2014, 09:49 AM

Mad,

Do you have any slides of the square after the Urban Renewal effort? I dont have much remembrance of this and I believe I was stationed in Thailand when this all happened. And, apparently, it did not last very long.

It seems to me the streets around the courthouse were closed off, a full covering was put over all the sidewalks on the square, and a shingle hung down in front of each store with the store name. Essentially, it became an outdoor mall.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
This is supposed to be a 1979 view of Independence from the top of the courthouse. Someone please explain what corner this is.
If'n my wetware is working correctly that would be Maple & Main, with the Katz building on the corner.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
If'n my wetware is working correctly that would be Maple & Main, with the Katz building on the corner.
That is what I thought, but then I could not make out anything where Kresgee and Bundschu should be on Main.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Mad,

Do you have any slides of the square after the Urban Renewal effort? I dont have much remembrance of this and I believe I was stationed in Thailand when this all happened. And, apparently, it did not last very long.

It seems to me the streets around the courthouse were closed off, a full covering was put over all the sidewalks on the square, and a shingle hung down in front of each store with the store name. Essentially, it became an outdoor mall.
Of course!
First is Liberty looking north from Lexington. These cars are on display, parked on the pedestrian walkway. Notice the canopy along the building fronts and the retaining wall along the right surrounding the courthouse. That is a fountain on the left.

Both Liberty and Main were closed to vehicles from Lexington to Maple, with a fountain mid-block on each.

Next is looking across the courthouse yard to the south side of the square. Notice that the canopies blocked any view of the store signs from the sidewalk. There were small signs hanging under the canopy for each store.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:26 AM

The April 12, 1948, Atchinson Daily Globe in Atchinson, Kansas, has a photo advertisement of a Restonic Mattress manufactured in Independence, Missouri, with the wording "The finest mattress you can buy" with a price tag of $49.95.

The March 22, 1948, Iola Register, Iola, Kansas, has a similar advertisement.

The elongated former factory building housing Home Comfort Products which did the mattress manufacturing still stands on the south side of east Lexington next to the tracks across from the Municipal Light Plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City