Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 11:57 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
As I look at this area on Google Earth:

Using the Historical Imagery I tried to see if the theater showed up back to 1990, it didn't. The former juco parking lot was reduced to about half its original size, then later paved, along with parking at The Library (so it appears). I think the juco opened in the early to mid 60s, my buddy started out there Almost like living on campus, the short commute from Cottage. That building(s) looked to be used for something else when I drove by. There are only about a dozen duplexes remaining on Cottage, all of them on the east side. I think all still remained on the west side of Union, all the way down to Nickell.
I attended the former higher learning building nights in the summer of '63 taking Child Psychology. At that time, it was an extension campus of the then Central Missouri State College and I might add the Warrensburg school had high hopes of expanding the building and their presence in the Independence area. I took Psychology at the main campus as an elective and thoroughly enjoyed it. This second course was not as enjoyable, though. I decided I was finished with that subject.

Someone else built the building, I think, and CMS leased it, I think. There were day classes and night classes. The building was being used to full capacity. When some of the state legislators heard about this new college campus, they objected, I think, and CMS was forced to give up the campus within just a few years of them opening it. I think that is what happened. Maybe someone else can chime in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 11:57 AM

908 posts, read 724,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
According to the KC Star of Dec 15, 1955, one could buy a 5 foot aluminum stepladder at Bunting Hardware, 111 w Lexington in Independence for $14.95.

That location is now a "vacant" lot across from the courthouse next to the Courthouse Exchange but there appear to be a number of tables and chairs and what looks like a dance floor area there now. I think I have seen colored lights decorating the area also.

At some point Bunting moved over on the Maple side of the courthouse displacing, perhaps, Woolworths but it might have been to the west of that place. The move doubled or tripled their space. I always thought Bunting was home grown, but the main store was in Kansas City.
Wow! That is bringing back a name long from my past.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:03 PM

Default Red Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
Can anyone remember the names of these 2 hardware stores? The first one was on the south-west corner of 23rd & 291. The Dollar tree is located there now. The store that sits street level above and faces north is now a Red Rack thrift store but looks like it used to be a Safeway or some other grocery store.
The grocery store was a United Supers.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Wow! That is bringing back a name long from my past.
I think you are the only one besides me that remembers that hardware. I am not sure how long they remained in business on Maple Street after moving. It could not have been very long, though, as the square just very fast went to being nothing because of the shopping centers and probably because no one wanted to go to the square for a hardware store when they were scattered all about.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:18 PM

Default Loving Memories of old Independence

Quote:
I think you are the only one besides me that remembers that hardware. I am not sure how long they remained in business on Maple Street after moving. It could not have been very long, though, as the square just very fast went to being nothing because of the shopping centers and probably because no one wanted to go to the square for a hardware store when they were scattered all about.

I was probably 5 -10 years-old and my father used to take me to town with him. Bunting, Bundschu's, Antoine's, Katz, the old Post Office, and the Bank of Independence were the places he frequented. I know there was a business or two in the first block east of Main on Maple that he used to visit, but I cannot recall what business it was.

This is why I wish I could find pictures of the business on both sides of East Maple and East Lexington from Main to the old Noland Road.

I loved the architecture of the old Post Office, the Bank of Independence, and Bundschu's. The only problem I had in those days was that my dad seemed to know everyone and would stand and chat for what seemed like hours. It was like he did not know that I had friends waiting for me so we could play on the farm.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
The grocery store was a United Supers.
There was a big Woolco on that side when that center first opened. We had some family friends who lived on 23rd east of Ellison Way that "lost" their house to the building of that center. They had previously lived in a converted chicken house that was a couple hundred feet back from 23rd. They then built a new home and garage on the same property on 23rd but were there for less than ten years, if that long. I saw their home go up and it was a precut factory built home from that town in Michigan that specialized or specializes in homes of that type. All the lumber was cut to size and numbered for nailing together on the job site. The home was shipped in a rail car to Independence. Nothing was assembled at the factory, it was built on site and had all the windows, hardware, cabinets, bathroom fixtures, furnace, everything, in the shipment. All our friend had to do was build the foundation to their specs and begin building. I thought that was so neat.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I was probably 5 -10 years-old and my father used to take me to town with him. Bunting, Bundschu's, Antoine's, Katz, the old Post Office, and the Bank of Independence were the places he frequented. I know there was a business or two in the first block east of Main on Maple that he used to visit, but I cannot recall what business it was.

This is why I wish I could find pictures of the business on both sides of East Maple and East Lexington from Main to the old Noland Road.

I loved the architecture of the old Post Office, the Bank of Independence, and Bundschu's. The only problem I had in those days was that my dad seemed to know everyone and would stand and chat for what seemed like hours. It was like he did not know that I had friends waiting for me so we could play on the farm.
I recall a hobby shop being on east Lexington maybe a couple doors from Noland. I bought a crystal radio set from them, or I might have got it for my birthday. It had only one earphone, though, that I had to hold to my ear--rather than a head set. I had a hard time believing someone could hear people talk through a rock (the crystal). My dad strung an aerial wire from my room to a nearby tree. All I could get, though, was the local KIMO, but it came in loud and clear.

My folks did the talking routine also. My dad had a gift of gab at Milgram's and at the A&P on Liberty Street. He knew everyone around town.

It got worse when I went to visit my grandparents on the farm. They went to town once a week on Saturday nights. They would split up and each do their thing. I would accompany one or the other and it seemed like all I ever did was stand around and listen to them talk to people who were as talkative as they were. But, I guess if I had not seen anyone for a week, I would be talking also.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
There was a big Woolco on that side when that center first opened. We had some family friends who lived on 23rd east of Ellison Way that "lost" their house to the building of that center. They had previously lived in a converted chicken house that was a couple hundred feet back from 23rd. They then built a new home and garage on the same property on 23rd but were there for less than ten years, if that long. I saw their home go up and it was a precut factory built home from that town in Michigan that specialized or specializes in homes of that type. All the lumber was cut to size and numbered for nailing together on the job site. The home was shipped in a rail car to Independence. Nothing was assembled at the factory, it was built on site and had all the windows, hardware, cabinets, bathroom fixtures, furnace, everything, in the shipment. All our friend had to do was build the foundation to their specs and begin building. I thought that was so neat.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:00 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times
Quote:
The photo had to be circa '55, I would think.

I saw where one duplex on Cottage was built in 1953. Since the TL was built in 1957 the date should fall within those paramaters. Once again, WCHS nails it

Old 04-18-2014, 02:02 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times
Quote:
I had a friend that lived on the south end of the duplexes on the east side. I cannot recall if he was on the end or next to the end. His name was Larry Pitts. Same person or different person?
Same family. Larry was Yearbook King at WCHS one year as I recall

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 04-18-2014 at 02:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City