Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 03:05 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,717,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
In the Fall of 1963, the building behind Truman Library was called the Residence Center and was part of Central Missouri State College. I went there for one semester that Fall.

My bad. It was part of CMSC, not a juco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 03:09 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,686,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I recall a hobby shop being on east Lexington maybe a couple doors from Noland. I bought a crystal radio set from them, or I might have got it for my birthday. It had only one earphone, though, that I had to hold to my ear--rather than a head set. I had a hard time believing someone could hear people talk through a rock (the crystal). My dad strung an aerial wire from my room to a nearby tree. All I could get, though, was the local KIMO, but it came in loud and clear.
This is a reasonable rendition of what my crystal radio set looked like, although I had a small crystal rock less than one-half inch in diameter near the coil. There was no power source and the radio was sort of sound powered like a tin can telephone setup. Station tuning was accomplished by moving that rod back and forth across the copper coil. There was no volume control for the head phone which would have attached to one of the clips. This was shoestring crystal radio at the entry level. The wiring for the head phone was covered with rubber and then cloth.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post

In that summer of '63, I was sitting in this night class on the front row next to a very good looking young lady who appeared to be rather innocent. I was watching the professor but heard an audible gasp from her. I looked over and her eyes were fixed firmly on her note pad as though she could not look anywhere else. I then looked around and everyone else had their eyes on their note pads. No one was paying any eye attention to the professor. I felt that something was out of the ordinary but could not figure out what.

I then turned my attention back to the professor. It took several minutes but I finally noticed that his trousers were totally unzipped. Now, I am embarrassed along with everyone else. He even sat on the edge of his desk and his trousers popped as wide open as they could. At some point he became aware of what the problem was and went to the black board and began writing, then stopped and very quickly zipped up. By the time he turned around, his face was as red as a beet--however, everyone was now relieved. I believe when the class was over, every one of us beat it out of there and no one stuck around to talk with him.

Eleven years later at what is now Missouri State University, a stern but shapely and good looking cougar professor was teaching auditing, a course that I was auditing as a refresher. It was a very cold winter morning and unexpectedly cold in the classroom. She had, shall we say, a couple buttons that were, naturally, covered but very visibly noticeable at her blouse. It was very distracting. I was on the back row with my coat on and noticed most everyone had their eyes glued to their note pads. The professor was seemingly flustered and aware of the problem also but there was nothing she could do about it. She wore a sweater the next day.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
It eventually did become a juco, I think. By the time you were coming around, it probably was. And, didnt it eventually move out to around Bridger Junior High School? And I think it adopted another name. Metropolitan Junior College and then Blue River Junior College?

Now that building is a special high school or training academy belonging to the Independence School District, I think.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:00 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,717,205 times
Quote:
It eventually did become a juco, I think. By the time you were coming around, it probably was. And, didnt it eventually move out to around Bridger Junior High School? And I think it adopted another name. Metropolitan Junior College and then Blue River Junior College?

Now that building is a special high school or training academy belonging to the Independence School District, I think.
Once you and others called it CMSC it jogged the memory that you are correct. I really don't remember anything about it post-1968. I did drive by it in August and noted it was no longer a college.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:34 PM

320 posts, read 305,114 times
Quote:

It is called an academy and I believe it is an alternative school for disciplinary challenged students.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:23 AM

908 posts, read 712,149 times
Quote:
Same family. Larry was Yearbook King at WCHS one year as I recall
It is such a small world. First, we used to live in Plano and second, we both knew Larry. He and I were in same graduating class of WCHS in 1963 and yes, he was the model for the male in the yearbook. He came to our 50th class reunion last September and we had a chance to catch up on old times.

Did you also graduate from Chrisman? If yes, what year?

Old 04-19-2014, 10:38 AM

908 posts, read 712,149 times
Quote:
I recall a hobby shop being on east Lexington maybe a couple doors from Noland.
This is the site of the only hobby shop I recall.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
This is the site of the only hobby shop I recall.
Mrs Cooper's Hobby Shop. She was down on the western end of Lexington--on the portion that was once called Electric Street before any of us were around, chuckle.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:12 AM

Based on this 1916 Sanborn map, Mrs Cooper's house would be the second yellow structure south of the green structure on Short and Electric. Those houses south of her place became the site for Safeway and maybe something else. Her address was 1312 but on this map it has 1200 addresses. Maybe the city was practicing for what has become one of the biggest address messes in the state of Missouri, and maybe the U.S.

I have often wondered why that stretch of Lexington was called Electric, when the other end of Lexington was what went by the Electric plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City