Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2014, 03:21 PM

2,373 posts, read 2,761,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
This is the site of the only hobby shop I recall.

I loved that place and had forgotten about it until WCHS mentioned it way back when. I had thought it further east on Lexington rather than just a few doors from The Natatorium (which a Google search of brought me to this site!)

I can still picture the inside. Love those old Mom n Pop places of Yesteryear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 03:24 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
Quote:
I took my camera the other day to Independence to take a picture of a site that I remembered that no one has ever talked about. It looks like I should have taken a picture from 23rd Street and 291 back to the West so some perspective would be given between the two stores. Tony is correct, but if you haven't been in town in the last decade or so, you might not remember that Price Chopper was on the NW corner, but moved to where Woolco was. A farm implement dealer when in where the old Price Chopper was. And the DAV store may not be recalled either. Change seems to be eternal. :-)
"Change seems to be eternal." Except when you were a kid and you did not think anything would ever change--at least that is how I was affected, chuckle.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:24 PM

908 posts, read 725,280 times
Default Yes, Disney, it is a small world after all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Indeed, it is ! Larry's younger brother was my age, and our parents bowled together down at Sterling. We moved to Raytown and I went to school there, but my family had the gift and card shop at Alton and 24 Hiway SC, so that's how we met the Pitts family. My Mom however is a WCHS grad, living just a few houses down from the old HS. So I'm a semi outsider here, with my Independence era being mid 50s to mid 60s. After that I started staying home and hanging out with classmates
Well, we have two more things in common. My brother used to work with Mad's father-in-law at the Kroger Store in the Alton Plaza, Then in May of 1961, I went to work for Kroger at the 24 Hiway and River store. I worked there for about 9 months and then went to another grocery store. Later, in 1969, I became the Co-Manager of the Kroger Store at 24 Hiway.

Maybe you were the one taking those boxes back in 1961. LOL!

Old 04-19-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I loved that place and had forgotten about it until WCHS mentioned it way back when. I had thought it further east on Lexington rather than just a few doors from The Natatorium (which a Google search of brought me to this site!)

I can still picture the inside. Love those old Mom n Pop places of Yesteryear.
Amen!

Old 04-19-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
"Change seems to be eternal." Except when you were a kid and you did not think anything would ever change--at least that is how I was affected, chuckle.
Yes, I recall being impatient back in my younger years. Now, I just take joy in every day that comes my way.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Do you remember when Enos Slaughter came in to play for the A's?

I think I remember a station from Del Rio, Texas, and another from Delano, California.

The DJ in Delano had a velvet voice that was a sheer enjoyment to hear.

That may have been after I got a shortwave, am-fm radio but not sure when. I recall hearing a cook on a ship somewhere in the Atlantic calling in his grocery list to a place on shore in Norfolk, VA, chuckle. A 100 pound bag of potatoes was one of his requirements.

This was a portable outfit that was the size of a small suitcase.
Do I remember Enos "Country" Slaughter? Yes, indeed!!

I know I never picked up a California station and, while I heard about the station in Del Rio, I don't think I could ever get it either. The other out of town radio that I recall was KOMA from Oklahoma City.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:48 PM

In the seventh grade, I saw some plans for building a river steamboat in Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, or Mechanix Illustrated I cannot remember which. The plans and the narrative for building the model took up a number of pages in the magazine. I decided I had to build that model.

The model was a working 24 inch model that was way above my expertise (if I had any), although I could not see that. All I had ever accomplished was putting together Revell plastic model airplanes or antique cars.

There was a materials list included in the article so I painstakingly copied the items needed on plain paper. My list took several pages. There were many different thicknesses, widths, and lengths of balsa wood, dowels, etc.

Armed with allowance money, I walked down after junior high one day and went into Mrs. Cooper's shop. She was a very nice and pleasant lady and I had been in her place before but just browsing. I showed her the list and said “I would like this stuff.” I then waited patiently while she read my list. She then looked at me and asked where I got the information and wanted to know if I printed the list. She then very nicely complimented me on my printing. (I was taking an Arts and Crafts course in junior high in which “artistic” printing was one of the subjects taught. I put that training to good use). I told her the list was from a magazine.

She then said that I would have to combine all the measurements and come up with a certain number of sheets, etc., of the standard stock that she had on hand, then I would have to cut each to length. (If she could have filled that list, she would have to have cut all the sheets to length for me.). I was thoroughly deflated and did not want to tell her I did not know how to do that. I left very disappointed and that was the end of that.

In that magazine spread there was an address for a place to get the full size plans by mail. I kept that address and a number of years later while I was stationed in Germany, I sent off for the full size plans. They still had them on file.

That model has never been built, however—and those full size plans on five huge sheets are downstairs in a file cabinet in my basement.

Can anyone remember who taught Arts and Crafts at Independence Junior High School? She was an older, strict, lady. I did not particularly like her but I really enjoyed the work we did. We did everything under the sun, it seems, such as tooled leather work, pottery and kiln work, printed and bound our own books, painting with water colors, and some other stuff. There was a small room down from her classroom on the top floor that held the kiln. In Boy Scouts, we did some lanyard braiding with plastic gimping (?). In this ladies junior high class we had to use real leather gimping, she refused to let anyone use plastic.

Years later, my Dickinson Road sweetie told me she did not take this class, so I guess it was an elective, even though that sounds a little odd for seventh grade back then.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Do I remember Enos "Country" Slaughter? Yes, indeed!!

I know I never picked up a California station and, while I heard about the station in Del Rio, I don't think I could ever get it either. The other out of town radio that I recall was KOMA from Oklahoma City.
The '56 outfield had Enos Slaughter and Elmer Valo, who I always thought was a good player even though he was born in Czechoslovakia. They also had Vic Power at first base. He finished second in '55 in AL batting average. They never could seem to do any better than sixth place, though.

They had a player in the mid fifties named Bill Wilson, I think, who was an outfielder and also a would be pitcher. In one game, the pitcher was in trouble, so the manager called Wilson in from the outfield as his new pitcher. I dont recall exactly but I think he got hammered.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:11 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
How did I get to be a Senior Member? Does this mean I get a discount on the price of the service here? :-)
That designates that the moderators have checked your age!

Old 04-19-2014, 05:13 PM

2,373 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Quote:
Well, we have two more things in common. My brother used to work with Mad's father-in-law at the Kroger Store in the Alton Plaza, Then in May of 1961, I went to work for Kroger at the 24 Hiway and River store. I worked there for about 9 months and then went to another grocery store. Later, in 1969, I became the Co-Manager of the Kroger Store at 24 Hiway.

Maybe you were the one taking those boxes back in 1961. LOL!

Ah, ok then I'm sure we crossed paths in Kroger. I think we've mentioned Jim Pendleton on this thread before. His daughter was my classmate for several years.

I remember the Summer of 1961 very well, and not just Mantle/Maris. It was the first year I played 3&2 baseball. And also befriended a kid in the River neighborhood who I still keep in touch with today.

We also knocked on the back door of Kroger then ran away, so now a half century later, you know who the culprits were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City