Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 10:36 PM

778 posts, read 1,010,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I was thinking Turner music was next to Chrisman-Sawyer bank on Lexington Street. Turner moved in there when a furniture store, maybe Tucker, moved out. I cannot recall where Turner Music was previously.

The library and the music store was on north Osage rather than on north Union, my bad.

Jenkins Music does and does not ring a bell. I just cannot recall.

I do recall that I spoke to the lady several times when on Osage but when she moved to the mall there was always a man in the store. We spoke once about her but I cannot recall that conversation either.

Turner Music had indeed been located on the south side of Lexington, just west of Liberty. The music store you speak of on north Osage, might have been Cochrane's. If so, it moved into Turner music in it's later years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 12:35 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,717,205 times
Default The Lexington photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59
Here is a photo from a web site that states the photo can be used for personal non commercial use.

This scene is the reverse from MRG's 1948 photo of west Lexington Street. This photo appears to be from around the same timeframe and looks west on Lexington, probably taken from the top of the First National Bank building at Liberty and Lexington.

The Memorial Building can be seen at the top. Below it is the marvelous old post office.

In the forefront is the Chrisman-Sawyer Bank before its exterior was modernized. Tucker Furniture is next to it.

Further down the street can be seen the rear of Bostian Cheverolet.

Can anyone make out what the first business at the lower right is?

MAD not sure if it's the pic posted by WCHS (Lex. west view) or the earlier one posted by me, (east view) but I'll take a stab at both:

On the view west, the dark sign has a resemblance to TG&Y. I looked on Google Images and found a similar colored sign for one in Moberly, Mo. Linked:

TG&Y Store, 1966 - Moberly Photo Album - [domain blocked due to spam]

However, there is a horizontal sign out front and it might say "Rexall" So maybe it's Crown Drug Store. WCHS seems to remember that CDS was on The Square before it moved to Alton Plaza, maybe that's it.

On my pic, the east view, the mid to bottom right sign says "Candy & Tobacco" I am almost sure. Can't make out the rest of it but the name is something like 2 initials starting with "M" and the name beginning with "W"

WCHS, Sally, weigh in pls.

Edit: Just found a reference to it in the tobacco lawsuits docs. It is M.S. White Candy & Tobacco Co. 816-252 (CLifton 2) 9616 (I love the internet!) Another doc shows the store having moved to 209 South Main (same phone number) and was owned by a Ted Rossen.

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 07-31-2012 at 01:16 AM..

Old 07-31-2012, 12:44 AM

I might have to amend my guess, looking at the "TG&Y" from the west view, it doesn't look at all like TG&Y. That photo has a canopy, the other pic it doesn't. There looks to be a barber pole between that building and the next one, the one with the white above the store. I'd guess that is the barber shop.

The next store might have an "Rx" sign extending towards the street.

I presume the big white vertical sign on the south side is "Tuckers' and not "Turners" ?

BTW, thanks to Doc and welcome.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:00 AM

Default Turner Music Co.

Just saw this re: the "Mrs. Turner":

Elma Turner

Date of Birth:

Friday, November 19th, 1920
Date of Death:

Monday, December 1st, 2003

Funeral Home:

Speaks Suburban Chapel 18020 E. 39th St.
Independence, Missouri, UNITED STATES

Obituary:

Elma "Sis Turner, 82, a lifelong resident of Independence, MO passed away Monday, December 1, 2003 at Research Medical Center. Services will be 10 am Saturday, December 6th at the First United Methodist of Independence; with interment in Mound Grove Cemetery. Visitation will be Friday from 6:30 to 8:30 pm at Speaks Suburban Chapel. In leiu of flowers, contributions are suggested to the Elma Turner Memorial at First United Methodist Church. Elma was born December 19, 1920 in Independence, MO to John H. Lund and Dora Mae Jobe Lund. She worked behind the scenes with her husband in the family business, Turner Music Company. Elma was a 50 year member of the Independence Young Matrons, and a member of First United Methodist Church for over 40 years. She was preceded in death by her husband Kenneth P. Turner in 1989

The name John Lund sounds very familiar, and I suspect he was the leasing agent who worked for a guy named Wolf(e) who owned both Alton Plaza and 24 Hiway SC. If so, I would have known him via that connection. Also, Mrs. Turner probably was a classmate of my Mother at WCHS.

Edit: Indeed, she was, just saw the yearbook, pics are on the same page. Small world.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:28 AM

Default M.S. White Candy & Tobacco Co.

Proprietor Ambrose Elliott:

Ambrose E. Elliott, proprietor of the Independence Wholesale Candy Company, 211 West Lexington Street, Independence, Missouri, was born in Nelson County, Kentucky, December 2, 1867. He is a son of Benjamin F. and Martha (Curry) Elliott, both of whom are natives of Kentucky.

After attending the public schools in Kansas and Missouri, Ambrose E. Elliott was employed in a grocery store at Stanley, Indian Territory, and later engaged in the lumber business at Joplin, Missouri. He came to Independence in 1900 and started a lumber yard in 1901 on Lexington street. He conducted this business until 1906 when he sold out and purchased an interest in a planing mill in partnership with C. G. Stewart and the firm was afterwards known as Stewart and Elliott Planing Mill Company. After Stewart sold his interest the firm was known as the Independence Planing Mill Company, Mr. Elliott retaining his interest until 1910, at which time the plant was destroyed by fire, but afterwards rebuilt. Shortly after the fire, Mr. Elliott disposed of his planing mill interests and engaged in the real estate business in 1911. He traded his planing mill interest for a moving picture show in Kansas City, located at 1123 Grand avenue and operated this for about three years. He then sold the theatre and purchased another at 107 East Twelfth street which he operated until November 1, 1918. He then sold this theatre and bought the Independence Wholesale Candy Company.

The Independence Wholesale Candy Company was established in 1901 by M. S. White who began business with a one horse wagon, manufactured candy and sold his output on the city streets. As he sold candy, he put the proceeds into more candy and gradually enlarged the business until it embraced jobbing. Mr. Elliott purchased the business in April, 1919.

Mr. Elliott was married in 1895 to Rose J. Bierly of Seligman, Missouri, who has borne him six children: William Rusell Elliott, associated with his father in the business; Gladys, Oneda, Paul, Everett and Wilma. The Elliott family residence is situated at 618 S. Crysler street, Independence, Missouri. Mr. Elliott was a member of the Loyal Order of Moose and was a Shriner and a 32nd degree Mason.

*Source: History of Jackson County, p. 395-396

Edit: 618 S. Crysler. Just on the flip side of the triangle/Y from the Natatorium site

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 07-31-2012 at 01:38 AM..

Old 07-31-2012, 02:59 PM

778 posts, read 1,010,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I dont remember a lot about Wild Woody's other than they sure did not care what the store building or even the fixtures looked like. They concentrated on the cheapest sale price possible. The most I remember is pulling into their parking lot. Someone I know bought a wonderful red car coat there one time though.

This will explain Wild Woody's a little better:

Noland Road, then and now - Independence, MO - The Examiner

Old 07-31-2012, 03:54 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,686,673 times
Thanks, SilverDoc, and welcome aboard.

That article mentions Holiday Inn at US Highway 40 and Noland Road as being a series of small hotel rooms.

Not sure where the author of the article got that specific description, but it was a genuine Holiday Inn. When it opened the room charge was a flabbergasting $5.00 per night.

The opening was sometime in the mid 50s and this Inn was a coup for Independence. Within the city there was nothing else like it--that is all the other motels were small locally owned places that had been in existence for years and all of these seemed to be on Highway 24.

In those early years, this Holiday Inn was a first class operation. I went into the lobby on one occasion in about 1960, or so.

On the lobby wall right next to the check in desk was a large well done printed plaque with the wording that I do not remember word for word but was similar to: "Guests having a local address must have suit cases."

Times were a lot different back then.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Proprietor Ambrose Elliott:

Ambrose E. Elliott, proprietor of the Independence Wholesale Candy Company, 211 West Lexington Street, Independence, Missouri, was born in Nelson County, Kentucky, December 2, 1867. He is a son of Benjamin F. and Martha (Curry) Elliott, both of whom are natives of Kentucky.

After attending the public schools in Kansas and Missouri, Ambrose E. Elliott was employed in a grocery store at Stanley, Indian Territory, and later engaged in the lumber business at Joplin, Missouri. He came to Independence in 1900 and started a lumber yard in 1901 on Lexington street. He conducted this business until 1906 when he sold out and purchased an interest in a planing mill in partnership with C. G. Stewart and the firm was afterwards known as Stewart and Elliott Planing Mill Company. After Stewart sold his interest the firm was known as the Independence Planing Mill Company, Mr. Elliott retaining his interest until 1910, at which time the plant was destroyed by fire, but afterwards rebuilt. Shortly after the fire, Mr. Elliott disposed of his planing mill interests and engaged in the real estate business in 1911. He traded his planing mill interest for a moving picture show in Kansas City, located at 1123 Grand avenue and operated this for about three years. He then sold the theatre and purchased another at 107 East Twelfth street which he operated until November 1, 1918. He then sold this theatre and bought the Independence Wholesale Candy Company.

The Independence Wholesale Candy Company was established in 1901 by M. S. White who began business with a one horse wagon, manufactured candy and sold his output on the city streets. As he sold candy, he put the proceeds into more candy and gradually enlarged the business until it embraced jobbing. Mr. Elliott purchased the business in April, 1919.

Mr. Elliott was married in 1895 to Rose J. Bierly of Seligman, Missouri, who has borne him six children: William Rusell Elliott, associated with his father in the business; Gladys, Oneda, Paul, Everett and Wilma. The Elliott family residence is situated at 618 S. Crysler street, Independence, Missouri. Mr. Elliott was a member of the Loyal Order of Moose and was a Shriner and a 32nd degree Mason.

*Source: History of Jackson County, p. 395-396

Edit: 618 S. Crysler. Just on the flip side of the triangle/Y from the Natatorium site
MRG,

I recall MS White Candy and Tobacco company having a servicing account at long gone C&J United Super at 23rd and Kiger (now 23rd and Lee's Summit) when I worked there in the late 50s. They had a truck that came around on a regular basis and restocked whatever the store need. I want to say they sold C&J merchandise that was more along the tobacco line rather than the candy line.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
I have photos of Field's Furniture that I need to post. and the "junk yard" you refer to was called Marcus Scrap Yard, if I'm not mistaken.
Looking forward to seeing those photos.

Fields was on the northeast corner of Truman and Noland Road.

I really think Fields had to relocate slightly because the widening of Noland Road needed the front part of their store.

After rebuilding they were still on the northeast corner of the same intersection.

I don't think I ever learned the name of the junk yard but their business required them to have a large crane of some type that towered over the landscape and was used to move junk from one place to another. I cannot recall whether the crane had a magnetic end or a claw end.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
I've thought that for a long time. My Great-grandfather had his real estate office (Butcher Real Estate) 111 E. Lexington. Sometime before that, it was in the office that were above Katz Drug Store. He had been in real estate since 1905. I should have, but never did sit down with him to talk about the square. His son, my Great-Uncle, was for a time his salesman and sold my folks their home (the one I grew up in, and live in today) in 1955. My Great-Uncle also helped open and worked at the Firestone at S. Main and Kansas. Between the two, I could have had access to tons of history.
My uncle worked at that Firestone store. He was transferred from the Independence, Mo, Firestone store to the Independence, Ks, Firestone store.

My parents bought their first television from that Main Street Firestone store in 1949. It was a Firestone brand TV that had a 7 inch screen and was built into a wood portable console that was several times larger than the screen.

It was extremely heavy and was sold as a table model.
It was also somewhat of a dud since it needed repair, it seemed, frequently. Joe Johnson was a local TV repairman and he made all the repairs. He picked it up and delivered but repairs seemed to take a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City