Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 04:36 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,768,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
Mr. Boten is a Democrat, and one of Jackson County’s public spirited citizens. In 1912 Mr. Boten ran one of the first gas tractors in Jackson County, using it for his thrashing. His farm work is now carried on with a Fordson tractor.

The above paragraph was taken from the 1920 History of Jackson County. I am guessing that the mention of the Fordson Tractor is the answer or partial answer to the question.
No, not the answer for the name of the company.

But, the company's product would not have been possible without the Fordson tractor, at least in their beginning. The Fordson did not pull or push anything but was necessary to the operation.

Fordson tractors were manufactured by Henry Ford and they eventually became just Ford tractors.

The "son" on the end of "Ford" forming Fordson stood for Henry Ford and sons.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 07-27-2014 at 04:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 04:51 PM

As we all know, Independence is the beginning of three trails, that is, the Santa Fe Trail, the Oregon Trail, and the California Trail.

But, sometimes Independence is given credit for being the beginning of a fourth trail.

I first saw references to Independence and this trail in the fifties but, just today, I found only one or two mentions on line as to that fact.

Nevertheless, my question is what was the name of the fourth trail?

Old 07-27-2014, 07:04 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Mad, add some more from the game.

What major manufacturing company moved from Wichita, Kansas, to Independence?

The company had a working agreement with the Fordson manufacturing company.

Then, two years after moving the company threatened to move back to Kansas.

As a condition for not moving, the company asked for reduced power rates from the city, which was granted.

The company asked for an adjustment in their shipping rates and a switch track from the railroad, which was granted.

The company asked for the purchase of $75,000 in preferred stock by the citizens of Independence.

The Independence Chamber of Commerce could only rally the sale of $63,400 in stock but the company was okay with that.

Four years later the company went into receivership but did eventually manage to recover but then eventually left Independence.
Are you alluding to Allis-Chalmers?

Old 07-27-2014, 07:06 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,187 times
Quote:
As we all know, Independence is the beginning of three trails, that is, the Santa Fe Trail, the Oregon Trail, and the California Trail.

But, sometimes Independence is given credit for being the beginning of a fourth trail.

I first saw references to Independence and this trail in the fifties but, just today, I found only one or two mentions on line as to that fact.

M--m-m, I'll have to think about that!

Old 07-27-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Are you alluding to Allis-Chalmers?
Not exactly.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:09 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,019 times
Quote:

The Mormon Trail

Old 07-27-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
The Mormon Trail
No, that went through Iowa, I believe, and Iowa is where the RLDS leaning folks dropped out from the LDS on the trek from Illinois and then eventually went south to Independence from where the LDS originally came and went.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:28 PM

320 posts, read 309,970 times
Quote:
Mad, add some more from the game.

What major manufacturing company moved from Wichita, Kansas, to Independence?

The company had a working agreement with the Fordson manufacturing company.

Then, two years after moving the company threatened to move back to Kansas.

As a condition for not moving, the company asked for reduced power rates from the city, which was granted.

The company asked for an adjustment in their shipping rates and a switch track from the railroad, which was granted.

The company asked for the purchase of $75,000 in preferred stock by the citizens of Independence.

The Independence Chamber of Commerce could only rally the sale of $63,400 in stock but the company was okay with that.

Four years later the company went into receivership but did eventually manage to recover but then eventually left Independence.
Some of what I can find partly jibes with the above, so I'm guessing Gleaner which eventually became part of Allis-Chalmers.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
Some of what I can find partly jibes with the above, so I'm guessing Gleaner which eventually became part of Allis-Chalmers.
Right on.

Here is a photo of an original Gleaner combine sitting in a New Zealand museum.

Note the Fordson tractor which carried the combine that was built around the tractor. It was the first and for a long time the only self propelled combine on the market due to the tractor.

The tractor is in its original gray color surrounded by the galvanized combine parts.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:51 PM

320 posts, read 309,970 times
Quote:

Another wild guess tonight, The Great Osage Trail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City