Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 12:49 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,419,300 times

Advertisements

Could "The Point" have been on North River in Sugar Creek? There is a parking area there on the bluff overlooking the Missouri River.

As promised long ago I have started scanning some of my old photos of Independence. These were shot in the early to mid-70s. Here are a few to start you off...

First is the Andrew Jackson statue when it was at the east end of the courthouse. President Truman's statue is there now, Andy moved to the west end. The Bundschu Building is in the background.

The shops are along Lexington, on the south side of the courhouse. The bench is on the courthouse terrace.

Some new cars displayed on the pedestrian walkway on Liberty, looking north from Lexington. The imposing corner building is the old Bank of Independence. At that time it was King Optical.

I'll post more in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 09:22 PM

152 posts, read 762,443 times
HAZEL, no, I didn,t get the post about your computer friend. Just that she might get one for Christmas. Please re-enter your info. Thanks. I haven,t been able to get to the library as much lately, but will definitely get here as much as I can. My son may buy a conputer soon, then maybe I'll be able to borrow his once in a while. Glad you're still in touch.

ANTHONIE, Sure like the photographs! Was the old Independence Laundry still there when you took those pix? It was a cpl blocksW. of the square. I'd love to see a pic of that bldg with the name in big colored letters on the S. side of the bldg. if you have it. My Dad worked at Bostian Chevrolet on W. Maple. Do you have a pic of that?

Yes, No. River (in Sugar Creek) strikes me right re The Point. I know that's it. It was never a long drive from Indep. Thank you. It puts my heart at ease to "find" these old places. When I was back in '04 I found sev other places I remembered from my childhood and couldn't place their whereabouts in my mind. Very gratifying. I still don't know though where Mrs. Lentell's house was. She had a kindergarten in her home before they had them in the schools and I attended two years cause I was very shy and my Mom wanted me better prepared for 1st grade. She had a big house S/W of square not far from that huge mansion. Sorry can't remember name of Mansion. Maybe someday I can go to the Records Office and look it up. Do you have a pic of the Granada Theater? It may have disappeared by the 70s. More later . . . Thanks so much.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:49 PM

Thanks Sally. The Indep Laundry was still there in the early 70s. My paper route covered the Square, and I usually carried my camera in case I saw something I wanted to shoot. Unfortunately I don't think I have the laundry, the Granada, nor Bostian Chevrolet in those days. The Chevrolet building is still there, as is the Laundry.

I can probably find Mrs. Lentell's house, if you can tell me the approximate year. The Geneaology Library has city directories for almost every year back to 1960, and sporadically between 1898 and 1959. The mansion you may be thinking of SW of the Square could be the Swope Mansion. It was west of Pleasant and south of Walnut (where the RLDS Campus and RV Park are now). Due south of the Square is the Bingham/Waggoner Estate, which has been restored and is open for tours.

I'll be scanning more photos soon, so keep watching for them. For now I'll leave you with this...

The old Selsa Road bridge over the Little Blue River (just north of I-70). Today this is the Little Blue Parkway with a modern four-lane concrete bridge.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:33 PM

152 posts, read 762,443 times
Dear MAD, you're a peach. I think the mansion I was thinking of IS the Baingham-Waggoner one.Rt across the street from it where the street dead ends is a structure with a raised sidewalk alongside with a railing and when I was in kindergarten with Ms. Lentell, she'd often take us for walks down there. We' d stand up next to the rail and look down the a lower level and there'd be a train down there. Fascinating. I found this "landmark" in '04 and was so excited. I tend to think the Lentell home was on the same street (don't recall the name of street} uphill but it could have been on one street over.

So now you're going to date me' huh? If I tell you the year You'll know for sure I am no spring chicken. Ha. I believe I would have been in Ms. Lentell's class in l940 and l941. Or '42. There. I said it. So kind of you to look it up!! Thank you. Up in the old Penney's bldg. there was a flea market in '04 when I was there. I believe it was run by a Mr. Plowman. Not sure. He had scillions of photographs of Old Independence and there was one of the Indep. Laundry showing the large, artsy lettering on the side and I WANTED it but he had $20.00 on it and wouldn't come down. I had already pretty much shot my wad on that trip but really regret not buying it. My Mom used to work at the Laundry before I was born and we'd go up there with our sheetful of wash quite often when was little.

(In our big kitchen, she'd lay a sheet on the floor and in the center we'd drop all the dirty clothes and bedding. Then she would stand on one corner with me on the opposite corner and we'd bring them up and tie them in the middle. Then go to the other two corners and do the same. Exciting stuff for a small fry! Then we'd lug it uptown . . . . )

Can't wait to see more of your pix. If you ever go out to the Point pls take a pic or two for me !!
(Unless you're too busy with other activities. Tee hee.) TTYL Sally

Old 02-03-2012, 06:55 PM

Do you remember the first name of Mrs. Lentell or her husband? There are several listed in town currently. One of them is on Linden, which is just south of the Bingham/Waggoner Estate.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:38 PM

971 posts, read 1,443,983 times
Hi Sally, Hazel and Mad,
You guys are having way too much fun not to join in.

My wife, one year old and I moved from Joplin to Armour & Troost in KC in 1956. Lived there awhile and moved to Independence 1957. Were living in an apartment complex north of the square when the five tronado's went through Grandview and one went over Independence. We went back to Joplin the next year. I drove to KC every day to 9th & Grand to work at the Railto Bldg to work for Sinclair Refining Co. Didn't take me long to decide I wasn't a city dude. Came back to SW Missouri in 59 and been here west of Branson ever since.

Last I heard, I have a former student who builds carriages and gives carriage rides from the square around the area of Independence. If he is still doing it, his name is Ralph. Think I have figured out that Sally is in Calif. but Hazel or Mad might bump into him on the square.

I'll see if this posts and be back for more conversation.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:39 PM

971 posts, read 1,443,983 times
In 1955 my girl friend and I was getting married, my grandfather's sister lived in Independence and had recently died so he offered her furnature to us. We hauled it to Joplin only to haul it back to KC the next year. If we had only known................

On my retirement 15 years ago, I made contact with a genealogy cousin, Cindy J. who had lived in Independence all her life and shared info on my maternal G grandfather who moved from Mena, Ark. to live next door to the Truman's in 1901. Cindy's husband was a tour guide/guard for the Truman home. He is probably retired now. I haven't heard for Cindy for awhile. My G grandfather went west in 1905 and died while on the trip and is buried somewhere in New Mexico.

When we lived in Independence, I didn't realize I was crossing paths with my G grandfather. It is a small world after all.

Saw Sally36 on a thread in my neck of the woods.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:39 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,922,996 times
I found a few decent photos of the Square:

Old Photos: Independence Missouri | Kansas City With The Russian Accent

I was actually looking for historical photos of Englewood. I'm curious if Englewood (or Fairmount for that matter) had any major stores. Maywood is interesting as well, though it seems much less significant.

Do any of you realize there's an old trolley car in somebody's backyard just southwest of the Square? It's behind a large house on Procter Pl, just south of where Lexington merges into Winner and can be seen here:

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

Old 02-06-2012, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the links, you have provided hours of diversion for me and My Beloved!

Before moving to North Delaware I lived in Fairmount. We had a Western Auto Store, Standard State Bank, Jerry's Restaurant, Browning (?) Chevrolet, a drugstore, and the grocery store. All of those buildings still stand.

Maywood had a theater, which was a bowling alley in my childhood, along with a grocery and the B&B Drug Store.

Englewood had the theater, Ben Franklin, Petey Childer's Pharmacy, a bakery, restaurant, etc.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:53 PM

A few more from my collection...

A snowy day in the 70s

Inside the boy's gym at the old William Chrisman High School

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City