Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 03:01 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
In 1963, the city of Independence conducted a special census at a significant cost for the time. This may have been the only time in city history that this happened.

What was the purpose of this special census?
My sources cite the 1963 special census as the 5th one for Independence. Earlier special censuses were conducted in 1887, 1905, 1907, 1911 and then 1963.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 06:04 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,768,063 times
The Electric Theater on N Main went out around 1948.

The Plaza Theater on W Lexington followed suit in 1952.

The Granada on W Maple closed its doors around 1969, or so.

Around ‘71 or so, I wrote a typed personal letter to Stanley Durwood of Durwood Theaters (now AMC) in Kansas City. His theaters were going great guns and had all the Kansas City Downtown theaters and a number of suburban theaters including the first twin multiplex in the world at the Ward Parkway shopping center, which I attended one time.

In the letter, I mentioned the Independence population of 111,000 plus and the lack of a theater on the square or in Independence in general (the Englewood on Winner Road might have still been open) and asked if his company could locate a theater on the square or in Independence.

I must have impressed someone as I received a response that said “Yes” we can do that and he, or his spokesman, explained they would be interested in opening a twin theater.

The letter went on to explain that they would need a building of x by x feet and asked when and where in town I could supply such a facility.

I was in the Army at the time and left Independence going on to my next assignment without writing back.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
The Electric Theater on N Main went out around 1948.

The Plaza Theater on W Lexington followed suit in 1952.

The Granada on W Maple closed its doors around 1969, or so.

Around ‘71 or so, I wrote a typed personal letter to Stanley Durwood of Durwood Theaters (now AMC) in Kansas City. His theaters were going great guns and had all the Kansas City Downtown theaters and a number of suburban theaters including the first twin multiplex in the world at the Ward Parkway shopping center, which I attended one time.

In the letter, I mentioned the Independence population of 111,000 plus and the lack of a theater on the square or in Independence in general (the Englewood on Winner Road might have still been open) and asked if his company could locate a theater on the square or in Independence.

I must have impressed someone as I received a response that said “Yes” we can do that and he, or his spokesman, explained they would be interested in opening a twin theater.

The letter went on to explain that they would need a building of x by x feet and asked when and where in town I could supply such a facility.

I was in the Army at the time and left Independence going on to my next assignment without writing back.
I believe the theater he opened in response to your plea was the Independence Center Cinema. It sat along 39th in front of Sears, and had 2 screens. One of my cousins was the manager there late 1970s. The fourplex on the Square was built and operated by Mid-America Cinemas, Luva Vaughn's chain.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
In 1963, the city of Independence conducted a special census at a significant cost for the time. This may have been the only time in city history that this happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
My sources cite the 1963 special census as the 5th one for Independence. Earlier special censuses were conducted in 1887, 1905, 1907, 1911 and then 1963.
The special census held in the years I listed was due to the city council believing that there had been a significant change in our population since the last Federal Census. A city could request a special census under that circumstance.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
We did not have "paved" roads in Eden Park subdivision when I was growing up. We had chip and seal roads, which is technically considered paving, although there would be a lot of argument about that from the then local residents. The process involves grading, oiling and chip rocking. Much better than dirt or gravel but no where near asphalt.

Paving of the streets in Eden Park with asphalt came years later.

Does anyone know if there are any dirt roads, any gravel roads, or any chip and seal roads left within the city limits of Independence? Or, within Jackson County for that matter?
It has been a while since I last drove some of the Independence streets in the far eastern and mostly rural portions of town, but I'm pretty sure that all have been asphalted. There may be some gravel roads in rural parts of Jackson County.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:

The 1960 federal census revealed 62,238 people living in Independence.

When the Good Government League swept the city offices in elections in 1962 one of the first items of business was to create a city pension system called for by the newly adopted City Charter.

State law required a population of 65,000 in order for a city to have a pension system. City officials presented an estimated population of 81,039 to the state but the state would not accept the figure.

City fathers then convinced a local state legislator to introduce a bill to lower the population requirement to 40,000. That bill was defeated.

The city then conducted the special 1963 census and came up with an official population of 86,438, more than enough to implement a pension system.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Independence did not operate an electric generating plant until 1901 when bonds were passed for the Dodgion Street plant.

The city had some street lights at the end of the 1880s, presumably using Westinghouse's AC rather than Edison's DC.

Where did the electricity come from?

A private electrical generating plant provided the juice. One source says it was near Walnut and Noland; another says it was near the Short Street train depot (Liberty and Short). 1892 Sanborn maps show it directly east of Noland between Walnut and Kansas.

The generating plant was known as the Gudgell plant, seemingly indicating a fellow named Gudgell owned the place since Gudgell Street is 1.25 miles further south.

In 1901, the city stepped in to “rescue” itself from the private facility because the company was not providing adequate service.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
It has been a while since I last drove some of the Independence streets in the far eastern and mostly rural portions of town, but I'm pretty sure that all have been asphalted. There may be some gravel roads in rural parts of Jackson County.
I was thinking the county may not have had gravel roads in my lifetime. However, now that I think about it, it seems to me that Cement City Road might have been gravel. And, Owens School Road may very well have been gravel. The county did have a chip and seal program like Independence did and they had all the primary farm roads paved in cement courtesy of Harry S Truman.

"Seven Hills" might have been gravel. Silver Doc could help out with that. It is paved with asphalt today. I also do not believe the county redid their chip and seal roads on an annual basis like the city of Independence did.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I believe the theater he opened in response to your plea was the Independence Center Cinema. It sat along 39th in front of Sears, and had 2 screens. One of my cousins was the manager there late 1970s. The fourplex on the Square was built and operated by Mid-America Cinemas, Luva Vaughn's chain.
I attended that theater one time to see the great flop "King Kong Lives." The movie has a 1.6 rating on Rotten Tomatoes. There was even a Mrs Kong. Dino DE Laurentiis spent $10 m trying to capitalize on his '76 King Kong movie that was a hit.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
I attended that theater one time to see the great flop "King Kong Lives." The movie has a 1.6 rating on Rotten Tomatoes. There was even a Mrs Kong. Dino DE Laurentiis spent $10 m trying to capitalize on his '76 King Kong movie that was a hit.
I viewed quite a few movies there, as the theater manager was allowed to give free admittance to relatives. Well, almost free, we were required to spend money at the concession stand, the real profit center of any theater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City