Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2014, 03:59 PM

908 posts, read 712,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
On this 1934 top map, both streams are labeled Spring Branch.

Well, that appears to be correct. Now, are they labeled correctly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchs61 View Post
Hum.... Might be the old 'hood is not a very nice place these days. Back in the day people would dump off unwanted cats and dogs around there but never bodies. My mother would get upset whenever I would bring an animal home. They usually didn't last very long though, they would get hit by a car. I buried several. Cars traveled pretty fast on Truman.
In the 1950s, South Kiger was only 2 lanes, outside the city limits and traffic was not nearly like it is today. People used to dump cats and dogs off by the creek and I used to take them home. My parents were fine with this as the cats killed mice and the dogs were my buddies. At one time we had 13 cats and 5 dogs.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:05 PM

26 posts, read 21,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
The young lady killed on the bridge on Truman, which was just west of Fransden, was Elizabeth Mann. She lived on Ellison Way. The driver of the car lived on Queen Ridge between Sea and Pacific.

Welcome to the group. I am thinking that I may need to change my moniker here to WCHS-63.

How far were you from Reisinger's Garden?

Let's see 1961? Sparky Arnold, Judy Babb, James Charpie, Mike Coughenour, Bill Craig, Jerry Gates, Patsy Gosney, Larry Haddock, Bob Hinde, Teddy Holsworth, Pam Love, Mike McCart, Richard McKenzie, Steve Mitchell, Butch Morman, Jerry Sackman, Ron Shuler, Fred Warren, and Gerald Webb.

WCHS61, did you know any of these people?
Ok. First I am not under any cushions as noted nor was I traveling for Christmas. I was (and am) just mesmerized by you guys and your detail concerning Spring Branch Creek, North Fork, South Fork, and all the forks. I haven't lived in the Independence area since 1961 when I left for the service in the USAF (avoiding the draft). I did live in KC at the Heart of America trailer court on hyway 40 from 1965 (discharged from USAF in January 1965- missed Vietnam thankfully) until 1968 when I graduated from tech school and moved to the Chicago area. So, other then brief visits with family in KC, my Independence memories stop in 1961. The rest of my life has been spent in Chicago (10 years), Raleigh, NC (about 30), and here in SC for 10.

Anyways, I don't have much to contribute to those discussions but I am learning a lot.

As for the 1961 folks above, yes I know almost all of them. Jerry Gates, Gerald Webb, and I used to get together and play football (tackle) with other guys whose names escape me right now. Gerald is currently living in Dallas with his lovely wife Virginia. I saw him at our 40th reunion in 2001. I dated Bob Hinde's cousin Janet Hinde as a freshman at Willy Chris. We went steady and did not have a harmonious breakup. I always wondered what happened to her.

Reisingers Garden. Was that where they grew strawberries and other assorted vegetables just west of Spring Branch Elementary school? If so, I lived about 2 or 3 miles from there. I remember picking strawberries there for pennies a cup or whatever that small container was called. I didn't go to the SB elementary school, my folks were members of Messiah Lutheran Church in Independence (on main street maybe) and I went to their school for my first 8 years. Then it was on to Willy Chris and a real eye opening experience that was! I went from a graduating class of 8 to a graduating class of just over 500 I believe in 1961.

So, I am paying attention guys and will interject when I have something to contribute but until then, I'll just read and learn.....

Old 12-26-2014, 08:49 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,686,673 times
Quote:

I didn't go to the SB elementary school, my folks were members of Messiah Lutheran Church in Independence (on main street maybe) and I went to their school for my first 8 years. Then it was on to Willy Chris and a real eye opening experience that was! I went from a graduating class of 8 to a graduating class of just over 500 I believe in 1961.
There were 402 in our class of '59.

I think this would be the Lutheran Church and School on south Main Street.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:57 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,686,673 times
Quote:
I dated Bob Hinde's cousin Janet Hinde as a freshman at Willy Chris.
I have not heard the term "Willy Chris" for 55 years, chuckle.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Ok. First I am not under any cushions as noted nor was I traveling for Christmas. I was (and am) just mesmerized by you guys and your detail concerning Spring Branch Creek, North Fork, South Fork, and all the forks. I haven't lived in the Independence area since 1961 when I left for the service in the USAF (avoiding the draft). I did live in KC at the Heart of America trailer court on hyway 40 from 1965 (discharged from USAF in January 1965- missed Vietnam thankfully) until 1968 when I graduated from tech school and moved to the Chicago area. So, other then brief visits with family in KC, my Independence memories stop in 1961. The rest of my life has been spent in Chicago (10 years), Raleigh, NC (about 30), and here in SC for 10.

Anyways, I don't have much to contribute to those discussions but I am learning a lot.

As for the 1961 folks above, yes I know almost all of them. Jerry Gates, Gerald Webb, and I used to get together and play football (tackle) with other guys whose names escape me right now. Gerald is currently living in Dallas with his lovely wife Virginia. I saw him at our 40th reunion in 2001. I dated Bob Hinde's cousin Janet Hinde as a freshman at Willy Chris. We went steady and did not have a harmonious breakup. I always wondered what happened to her.

Reisingers Garden. Was that where they grew strawberries and other assorted vegetables just west of Spring Branch Elementary school? If so, I lived about 2 or 3 miles from there. I remember picking strawberries there for pennies a cup or whatever that small container was called. I didn't go to the SB elementary school, my folks were members of Messiah Lutheran Church in Independence (on main street maybe) and I went to their school for my first 8 years. Then it was on to Willy Chris and a real eye opening experience that was! I went from a graduating class of 8 to a graduating class of just over 500 I believe in 1961.

So, I am paying attention guys and will interject when I have something to contribute but until then, I'll just read and learn.....
Hmmmm. I also played some tackle football with Gerald Webb and his brother. We played at Hidden Valley Park, which was west of Crysler around 30h St. He actually lives in Frisco, TX, which is a north Dallas burb. I last saw Gerald about two years ago at a reception for his son who had just gotten married. Jerry Gates did not live too far from me. While I did not play football with him, we did play at Tom Holzbaur's house which was just east of Gates' house.

By any chance would you have known a young man by the name of Russell Koester. He graduated from Chrisman in 1964. He lived across the street from me when I grew up and he attended Messiah Lutheran too.

Reisinger's Gardens was on the south side of Truman and would have been a quarter mile or less from you house.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
There were 402 in our class of '59.

I think this would be the Lutheran Church and School on south Main Street.
When I started there in 1949 there was a school house next to a church with a big (it was big to a 6 year old) playground in back with swings and such and big enough for soft ball games. Sometime in the mid 50's the school house was demolished and and the basement for the new church built. We went to school in that basement until I graduated in '57. Some time later the church got the money to build what you see now. Oh, and the playground pretty much disappeared with the basement. I haven't been there since a visit in the late eighties so I don't know what kind of a playground the kids may have now.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Hmmmm. I also played some tackle football with Gerald Webb and his brother. We played at Hidden Valley Park, which was west of Crysler around 30h St. He actually lives in Frisco, TX, which is a north Dallas burb. I last saw Gerald about two years ago at a reception for his son who had just gotten married. Jerry Gates did not live too far from me. While I did not play football with him, we did play at Tom Holzbaur's house which was just east of Gates' house.

By any chance would you have known a young man by the name of Russell Koester. He graduated from Chrisman in 1964. He lived across the street from me when I grew up and he attended Messiah Lutheran too.

Reisinger's Gardens was on the south side of Truman and would have been a quarter mile or less from you house.
We played football in Jerry Gates back yard. Or at least it was in his neighborhood. The house had a long kinda downhill back yard with nothing behind it. He lived just up the hill from me in a development off of 23rd street as best I remember. We also played on a field just off of Noland road just north of hyway 40 about 2 or 3 miles. Can't remember the road name the field was on. There was another field we played on too but I can't remember where, maybe the field you're talking about.

I did not know Russell. He would have been 3 years behind me and in a different classroom. When I started at Messiah we had all 8 grades in the one school house. When I left in '57 there were 3 grades to a classroom so I probably wouldn't have had much contact with him.

I may be mistaken, but it seems like where the railroad tracks crossed Truman was a about a quarter mile east of me and Reisinger's was a ways down the road from the tracks as I recall. I lived only about a half a mile east of the bridge over 291. But my memory is not what it used to be.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:58 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,419,668 times
Quote:
When I started there in 1949 there was a school house next to a church with a big (it was big to a 6 year old) playground in back with swings and such and big enough for soft ball games. Sometime in the mid 50's the school house was demolished and and the basement for the new church built. We went to school in that basement until I graduated in '57. Some time later the church got the money to build what you see now. Oh, and the playground pretty much disappeared with the basement. I haven't been there since a visit in the late eighties so I don't know what kind of a playground the kids may have now.
It has grown more since you left. The church purchased several of the neighboring houses, and built a large gym, along with several outdoor play areas. You can see it all here...

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

Old 12-27-2014, 10:24 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,419,668 times
In today's Examiner, in the 50 years ago column, it mentions an apartment complex being built on the old Mason farm. It was three miles east of town. Your assignment is to tell me where the Mason farm was located (nearest street intersection) OR give me the name of the apartment complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City