Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 09:32 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,686,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Nope, Santa Fe is a bit newer than that.

We have a winner! Although it is one of the oldest, it is also one of the least known of the city parks.

I believe that both French Acres and Woodlawn were community property for the subdivisions they are in.
You've left me in the dust here.

I took a look at that Woodlawn "park" at Hocker and Sea and believe that is where temporary veterans housing was hauled in around the '48 or '49 time frame. I was not supposed to go that way to McCoy School but did anyway when I cut through what was formerly known as the hollow at Sea and Leslie, since filled in. Pearl was the next street west after Hocker and was where I turned south to McCoy school a block away.

But, I also think some of the temporary housing might have been further east along Sea.

I don't know how long the really cheapie temporary housing was there but they were all gone when I drove down Sea Street after getting my drivers license in '57.

I took a look at the city park list and they do list a Woodlawn Park. But it is entirely open land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 08:23 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,419,668 times
Y'all did fairly well with that last question, so let's try another!

In 1960 Independence had only two of them, although in earlier years there were more. One of them has been demolished, the other's building still stands, but is not used.

Today Independence has only two (or three, if you count the part-time one), but they are not the same ones as we had in 1960.

What purpose did these buildings serve?

Old 01-22-2015, 10:40 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,717,205 times
Quote:
Y'all did fairly well with that last question, so let's try another!

In 1960 Independence had only two of them, although in earlier years there were more. One of them has been demolished, the other's building still stands, but is not used.

Today Independence has only two (or three, if you count the part-time one), but they are not the same ones as we had in 1960.

What purpose did these buildings serve?

Jails

Old 01-22-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Jails
Nope, the buildings in question are actually enjoyed by those who visit.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Nope, the buildings in question are actually enjoyed by those who visit.
More accurately- people pay to get in, hoping that they enjoy what they find inside.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
More accurately- people pay to get in, hoping that they enjoy what they find inside.
Indoor Movie Theaters

Old 01-23-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Indoor Movie Theaters
In 1960 we had only the Granada and Englewood Theaters. Today we have the Pharaoh and the AMC 20, along with the part-time Twin Drive-In.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:09 PM

At one time in the mid-fifties and earlier, the Granada would have uniformed (at least the coat, tie, and jacket) ushers with a flashlight who would show you to your seats after the movie had started. It was dark in the auditorium especially when your eyes first adjusted from coming out of a brightly lit lobby. Back in 1940 when the rebuilt Granada opened, they were probably in full uniform.

The usher was always a young male and he would light the aisle with the flashlight and then shine the flashlight on two or three empty seats until you were seated. Once seated he would go back to the lobby.

Gradually, the uniform disappeared and then there would be a “civilian” usher only if you asked.

I dont ever remember an usher at the Englewood.

I thought it was the neatest thing when new theaters started appearing with miniature lighting in a long string down the length of both sides of the aisle. Everyone, it seems, avoided stepping on those lights fearful of breaking them but you could step on them and they would not break. And they were not LEDs, either.

Then came reclining seats at the Durwood theaters. Then came the cup holder in the arm that was invented by Stanley Durwood.

Also, it seems to me that both the Granada and Englewood both prohibited soft drinks in the auditorium. You could eat all the candy and popcorn you wanted from the refreshment stand but if you wanted a drink you had to go to the lobby to the water fountain.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:32 PM

The feature film at the Granada did not start right at 7:00 pm when the lights came down and the curtain opened. There were a number of preliminary events that came first that some people did not seem to care for and would arrived late.

First there were local advertisements—some were moving pictures, some were stills. I specifically remember Bostian Chevrolet, Independence Laundry and Dry Cleaning, and the right next door Galen Boyer Pontiac and Cadillac.

After the advertisements, the news reel came on and lasted maybe ten minutes. At the Granada it was Movietone News from 20th Century Fox. The Englewood had Pathe News from what studio I cannot recall, maybe RKO.

Then came previews of coming attractions.

Then a cartoon. I always hated when a Walt Disney cartoon was shown because it was tame compared Warner Brothers’ Bugs Bunny and pals. Did not care for Paramount’s Woody Woodpecker either.

Then there was a “selected short subject” like a travel log or Columbia’s Three Stooges. Those guys always got the crowd to clapping and yelling when it came on. They actually made at least one 3D short.

Finally, at 7:30 to 7:40 came the main feature.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:51 PM

I was stationed in Germany when the movie studios quit making newsreels. By this time, the TV News just outdid them.

Where I was at, we had Armed Forces Radio but no there was Armed Forces TV at that time. The only visual connection to the homeland was the movie newsreels. It was a big disappointment to learn there would be no more.

We went to the post theater most every time a movie changed. Sometimes we watched the same news over and over because the newsreels did not turn over that fast.

Thirty-five cents admission, unless it was a big budget movie and then it was fifty cents. When Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey was shown it cost the unheard of price of $1. The place was packed.

One time right after I arrived, I heard through the grapevine there was going to be a practice alert that evening. Assuming the rumor was going to happen, I decided to go to the movie and use the excuse that I was at the movies and did not know about it. About half way through the film, the film stopped, the houselights came on and a lighted sign above the screen said “ALERT IN PROGRESS” or some such. I had never noticed that the sign was there before.

The theater would not resume playing that night--even dependents (wives and children) had to evacuate the theater.

I went home changed into combat gear and reported to my station as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City