Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2015, 07:05 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,762,917 times

Advertisements

It is little known fact that the Granada Theater closed for a short time in the early fifties. It was probably 1953 that this occurred--but the theater actually closed with the intent of opening back up as soon as it could.

Why did the Granada Theater close its doors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 07:26 AM

2,371 posts, read 2,758,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
It is little known fact that the Granada Theater closed for a short time in the early fifties. It was probably 1953 that this occurred--but the theater actually closed with the intent of opening back up as soon as it could.

To protest the end of the Truman Administration?

To expand in anticipation of greater tourism/attendance at the theater?

To build the cry area?

Old 01-24-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
To protest the end of the Truman Administration?

To expand in anticipation of greater tourism/attendance at the theater?

To build the cry area?
I don't know whether the owners were Democrats or Republicans.

The cry area was included in the original 1940 reconstruction and seat expansion.

However, during the early '50s closure there was activity that upon re-opening probably drew an expansion of attendance, at least initially.

The Granada closed during this time due to the force of one studio.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:05 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,472,751 times
Quote:

Was it to install new projectors and a wider screen?

Old 01-24-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Was it to install new projectors and a wider screen?
Essentially, yes, but I dont believe new projectors but rather new lenses on the projectors.

The Granada Theater closed due to the force of one studio: 20th Century Fox.

20th Century ignored the 3D craze that was going on during the early fifties and instead developed CinemaScope, a wide screen process—and the public demanded to see it

The Granada closed for installation of a new wider screen to show the process. Additionally, stereo sound was installed. The shutdown was only a few days, perhaps Monday through Thursday.

In so doing the theater was also able to show the other studios’ eventual rip offs:-RegalScope, Techniscope, SuperScope, Panavision, Megascope, VistaVision, and maybe some others.
But it never was able to show CinemaScope 55, CinemaScope 70, or Cinerama.

Prior to installation of the wide screen, the Granada had moving curtains that would always cover the screen until show time. The curtain would open at the start of the advertisements and close just before the feature started and then open again as the feature rolled. Space was tight and I am thinking that the new screen could not accommodate moving curtains and just had stationary narrow curtains on each side of the new wider screen.

At the time, I did not know the Englewood existed, so I don’t know about that theater but I think it always had moving curtains even for wide screen and, I think, the Englewood curtains moved up and down whereas the previously moving curtains at the Granada moved sideways.

I don’t believe the Maywood converted to wide screen but converted, instead, to bowling. I never attended the Byam but it closed in ’60, maybe without ever going to widescreen.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:28 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Default Ernie Banks has died

Just read the sad news that Ernie Banks has passed away.

Chicago Cubs legend Ernie Banks has died at 83 | Fox News

I didn't realize that he played for the KC Monarchs before going up to the Cubs. When I was a kid in Chicago in the late 50s, we ate, drank, and slept baseball and Ernie Banks was everybody's hero. "There it goes! That ball is out on Waveland Avenue!!"

I posted this here because I figured this thread's regulars might be the only ones remembering when he played.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

I didn't realize that he played for the KC Monarchs before going up to the Cubs. When I was a kid in Chicago in the late 50s, we ate, drank, and slept baseball and Ernie Banks was everybody's hero. "There it goes! That ball is out on Waveland Avenue!!"

I posted this here because I figured this thread's regulars might be the only ones remembering when he played.
I certainly do remember him and you are right, he was everybody's hero but I dont remember him playing for the Monarchs either.

I do recall, as a young preteen, watching the KC TV sports program announcers give the scores for the Kansas City Monarchs who played in the same stadium that the Blues played in. I wondered who they were but never asked anyone. It was sometime before I learned they were an all black team.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:11 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
I certainly do remember him and you are right, he was everybody's hero but I dont remember him playing for the Monarchs either.

I do recall, as a young preteen, watching the KC TV sports program announcers give the scores for the Kansas City Monarchs who played in the same stadium that the Blues played in. I wondered who they were but never asked anyone. It was sometime before I learned they were an all black team.
Just did some more reading and learned that Jackie Robinson, Satchel Paige, and Elston Howard also came to the big leagues from the Monarchs. A fascinating time in KC history and adding to the feeling I've always had about the old Municipal Stadium site being hallowed ground.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:44 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,758,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

I had forgotten the KC connection and didn't realize he was born in Dallas until I read his obit.

I'm sure I have one of his baseball cards somewhere. I will Google Image and see which cards I might recognize.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:03 AM

How times have changed.

The Korean War broke out on June 25, 1950.

I recall seeing snippets of a few days old film of GIs fighting that was shown on the NBC John Cameron Swayze Camel News Caravan Monday thru Friday on WDAF TV locally at 6:30 pm.

Camel cigarettes were provided free to the men fighting in Korea, according to the announcer on the Swayze program. Camel sponsored the entire news program, but it was only fifteen minutes long.

Swayze later became a spokesman for Timex watches: “They take a lickin’ and keep on tickin’.”

McCoy grade school at 1010 S Pearl, now home of the Music/Arts Institute, and other Independence schools took an active role in supporting the war in Korea and the schools encouraged kids and families to support the war.

How did the kids and familes provide this support?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City