Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 08:21 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,762,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally36 View Post
Hello Folks. I started this account of sally36 for my mother as a way to connect with folks from her hometown and state. My mother started this thread a few years ago as I was teaching her how to use the Internet.

I recognize many of your call names as being constant participators in this thread as well as folks that she talked about often as she enjoyed this conversation and reminiscence so dearly of her hometown.

She may have mentioned on here that she was ill and hospitalized. I did help her post some comments while she was indeed in the hospital. I posted as she dictated while in the hospital on a few occasions. Those would be her final posts.

I know many of you may be wondering why the sudden disappearance and I know that she would want me to explain as she became quite fond of this thread and you folks.

My Mom was diagnosed with Stage 4 Renal cancer in the Fall of 2012. It was quite advanced and the symptoms were an onslaught. This is still very hard for me to write as it’s been a very difficult time. She passed away in February of 2013. It has been extremely difficult for me as I adore her very much and its taken me a while to be able to come on here to touch base with you all.

It just blesses my heart to see this thread with over 8,000 comments and thriving at the top of the Forum!! She would be SO TICKLED to know this. I can tell you, as her son, and having a very close relationship with her, that her growing up years and tie to Independence, Missouri was an everyday constant adoration and passion for "Home". While she raised her children in California and spent more than 50 of her 76 years in CA, she will always tell anyone that IndepMO is Home.

I got the chance to take her back to visit old friends and family as well as see the area multiple times. It blessed me to see where she grew up, hear all the stories, see her home on South Main and share that joy with her. She just lit up coming back to Independence. I'm a strong family person, so this meant a lot to me as well to visit there and see where she comes from. I can tell you from my travels all around the Midwest, the Jackson County Courthouse is by far my favorite courthouse!! I very much hope to make it back to the area to visit again. I do love Missouri and its people and have fondness in my heart for Independence.

Thank you all for your continued participation in this thread and I'm so glad it has been a pleasant experience for you as much as it was for her. Unfortunately, she didn't live to see its enduring success these past years but I have. And I can tell you that the time she spent on this thread, she treasured and talked about so often. Your interactions meant so much to her!

In memory of sally36

Thank you so much for this information. I know that all of us appreciate hearing from you and we all appreciate what she started and we will contribute for many years to come.

Who would ever have thought that what your mother started with those nostalgic questions would turn out so well.

There is one area that we have not settled, though, chuckle. That is when did one-way driving start around Independence Square. I guessed 1949, which was way to early. I don't think your mother recalled that the streets were one-way back then. I think she graduated in '53 and she probably left town before seeing those streets re-designated.

One day someone will come up with a date, chuckle.

Again, thank you for this information. Perhaps in a couple years or so, there will be 1,000,000 views of this great thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 08:36 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,472,751 times
Quote:
Hello Folks. I started this account of sally36 for my mother as a way to connect with folks from her hometown and state. My mother started this thread a few years ago as I was teaching her how to use the Internet.

I recognize many of your call names as being constant participators in this thread as well as folks that she talked about often as she enjoyed this conversation and reminiscence so dearly of her hometown.

She may have mentioned on here that she was ill and hospitalized. I did help her post some comments while she was indeed in the hospital. I posted as she dictated while in the hospital on a few occasions. Those would be her final posts.

I know many of you may be wondering why the sudden disappearance and I know that she would want me to explain as she became quite fond of this thread and you folks.

My Mom was diagnosed with Stage 4 Renal cancer in the Fall of 2012. It was quite advanced and the symptoms were an onslaught. This is still very hard for me to write as it’s been a very difficult time. She passed away in February of 2013. It has been extremely difficult for me as I adore her very much and its taken me a while to be able to come on here to touch base with you all.

It just blesses my heart to see this thread with over 8,000 comments and thriving at the top of the Forum!! She would be SO TICKLED to know this. I can tell you, as her son, and having a very close relationship with her, that her growing up years and tie to Independence, Missouri was an everyday constant adoration and passion for "Home". While she raised her children in California and spent more than 50 of her 76 years in CA, she will always tell anyone that IndepMO is Home.

I got the chance to take her back to visit old friends and family as well as see the area multiple times. It blessed me to see where she grew up, hear all the stories, see her home on South Main and share that joy with her. She just lit up coming back to Independence. I'm a strong family person, so this meant a lot to me as well to visit there and see where she comes from. I can tell you from my travels all around the Midwest, the Jackson County Courthouse is by far my favorite courthouse!! I very much hope to make it back to the area to visit again. I do love Missouri and its people and have fondness in my heart for Independence.

Thank you all for your continued participation in this thread and I'm so glad it has been a pleasant experience for you as much as it was for her. Unfortunately, she didn't live to see its enduring success these past years but I have. And I can tell you that the time she spent on this thread, she treasured and talked about so often. Your interactions meant so much to her!

In memory of sally36
Thank you Sally's Son, for helping Sally with her final posts, and for letting us know the rest of the story. She is greatly missed here, and we will strive to keep her memory alive by keeping this thread alive.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:50 AM

Having promised to strive to keep Sally's thread alive I now present today's challenge photo.

This one has a twist! It is a view from 1957, your assignment is to discover the twist and identify the location. You also need to tell me why it is significant.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Having promised to strive to keep Sally's thread alive I now present today's challenge photo.

This one has a twist! It is a view from 1957, your assignment is to discover the twist and identify the location. You also need to tell me why it is significant.

Okay, I get the hint that you need a hint. That hint is "90 degrees off".

Old 03-18-2015, 04:36 PM

320 posts, read 309,780 times
Quote:
Brownie points to you for digging through 800 pages to check this out! If no one answers by morning you may reveal your findings.
Now I can't find the original post and answer, but I believe it was the east side of 291 just south o 23rd. The house was an office of some kind and to the left where the light pole is , the edge of the parking lot of the former Drug Emporium. At least I think that's what I read.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
Now I can't find the original post and answer, but I believe it was the east side of 291 just south o 23rd. The house was an office of some kind and to the left where the light pole is , the edge of the parking lot of the former Drug Emporium. At least I think that's what I read.
Yup, the east side of M-291 just south of 23rd.

Now try to newest quiz!

Old 03-18-2015, 06:59 PM

320 posts, read 309,780 times
Quote:

I can give you one out of three.......location! Well, general location anyway. But I'll study on this some more. Am I the only one silly enough to work through these "mysteries"?

Old 03-18-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
I can give you one out of three.......location! Well, general location anyway. But I'll study on this some more. Am I the only one silly enough to work through these "mysteries"?
The view is looking east toward Noland Road along Woodlawn cemetery. South Boulevard is in the right of the picture, which one could say goes in a 90 degree angle from Noland but I dont have a clue as to what is meant by a twist. My granddad would more than occasionally take a chaw of a twist.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:18 AM

152 posts, read 766,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Thank you so much for this information. I know that all of us appreciate hearing from you and we all appreciate what she started and we will contribute for many years to come.

Who would ever have thought that what your mother started with those nostalgic questions would turn out so well.

There is one area that we have not settled, though, chuckle. That is when did one-way driving start around Independence Square. I guessed 1949, which was way to early. I don't think your mother recalled that the streets were one-way back then. I think she graduated in '53 and she probably left town before seeing those streets re-designated.

One day someone will come up with a date, chuckle.

Again, thank you for this information. Perhaps in a couple years or so, there will be 1,000,000 views of this great thread.
Yes, I've been meaning to get on here much earlier and let you all know what happened but as you can imagine it has been a very difficult and trying time.

I remember well, setting up her account and "showing her the ropes" on City-Data.

I know its been hard for her living away from Independence all these years. She really loved her hometown. So when I found out about City-Data, and started using, I thought it would be a great way for her to reconnect with hometown folks and such. I don't think she or I ever imagined how epic this thread would become and the joys it has brought to others lives that have yielded fruit for several years!!

I know the last time she posted was when she was first hospitalized as the disease was advancing rapidly. While in the hospital, I got online with her and typed as she dictated posts. After that, things got too advanced in her health. I know how active she was in the thread and then to suddenly vanish must've left y'all scratching your heads. I know when checking her account I saw several PM's and reputation comments etc.

I can assure you this thread was a tremendous source of joy in her final year or two. For that, I am overjoyed.

To WCHS'59: Mom graduated in 1954 actually. She did leave town that Summer. She was back to visit in '56 and then again a few times in the 60s. I'm in touch with a few of her High school friends, but many of them left Independence too so they may not know when the streets around the square changed.

To Mad Anthonie: thank you...I too hope this thread endures for years and years. It really blesses me to see it's success and the happiness, reconnections, new connections and nostalgia its brought to so many of you about your beloved Hometown.

Thank you for keeping it going in her honor and memory to all of you.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Yes, I've been meaning to get on here much earlier and let you all know what happened but as you can imagine it has been a very difficult and trying time.

I remember well, setting up her account and "showing her the ropes" on City-Data.

I know its been hard for her living away from Independence all these years. She really loved her hometown. So when I found out about City-Data, and started using, I thought it would be a great way for her to reconnect with hometown folks and such. I don't think she or I ever imagined how epic this thread would become and the joys it has brought to others lives that have yielded fruit for several years!!

I know the last time she posted was when she was first hospitalized as the disease was advancing rapidly. While in the hospital, I got online with her and typed as she dictated posts. After that, things got too advanced in her health. I know how active she was in the thread and then to suddenly vanish must've left y'all scratching your heads. I know when checking her account I saw several PM's and reputation comments etc.

I can assure you this thread was a tremendous source of joy in her final year or two. For that, I am overjoyed.

To WCHS'59: Mom graduated in 1954 actually. She did leave town that Summer. She was back to visit in '56 and then again a few times in the 60s. I'm in touch with a few of her High school friends, but many of them left Independence too so they may not know when the streets around the square changed.

To Mad Anthonie: thank you...I too hope this thread endures for years and years. It really blesses me to see it's success and the happiness, reconnections, new connections and nostalgia its brought to so many of you about your beloved Hometown.

Thank you for keeping it going in her honor and memory to all of you.

In May 1954 I finished seventh grade at Independence Junior High School--one block east of William Chrisman on Maple Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City