Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2015, 08:45 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times

Advertisements

"MRG, can you locate on Lynn where the bridge use to be? It was a frame lumber bridge and was taken out some time in the very early 50s"

I'm not sure of your question . . .are you asking if I take a walk along Google Streetview I might be able to see this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 10:53 PM

239 posts, read 257,157 times
Only 7 craft tents?!?! Kidding. It sounds like it's changed a lot over the years. I'll never forget my first time going to Santa Caligon.. It was in 2002. It had to be 100 degrees the day I went.. it was so hot. A friend of mine lived off Baker Drive, and we walked... What a terrible day for a walk!! lol. I needed 2 drinks on the way home! I had no idea I'd eventually live in the area (about 3 years later).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
The 1974 version of SCG was vastly different from the modern versions. It actually had an emphasis upon the trail days, and more than just in name. There were shootouts, old west characters, an Indian camp, wagon train encampment, medicine man, and only three craft tents.

The 2014 version featured 7 craft tents, a good percentage of which were corporate vendors rather than the former weekend crafts folk. Nary a old-timer was to be found.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:25 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
"MRG, can you locate on Lynn where the bridge use to be? It was a frame lumber bridge and was taken out some time in the very early 50s"

I'm not sure of your question . . .are you asking if I take a walk along Google Streetview I might be able to see this?
You should be able to determine where the bridge was at, at one time.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:58 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
From this map it shows that the town of East Independence was to be many times larger than the layout is today.

Today:
It is likely that some (many?) of those streets were platted and planned but never built. It is also possible that a few were intentional "mistakes" by the cartographer to detect copyright infringement.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:11 AM

What street within the city limits of Independence would be a candidate for the shortest street in all the city?

A short segment of a longer street would not qualify.

Short Street would not qualify.

I found one, Parker Court, that I measured with Delorme Maps as being .06 (six-one hundredths) of a mile long.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
What street within the city limits of Independence would be a candidate for the shortest street in all the city?

A short segment of a longer street would not qualify.

Short Street would not qualify.

I found one, Parker Court, that I measured with Delorme Maps as being .06 (six-one hundredths) of a mile long.
There is a prominently placed street that is only 375 +/- feet long. However, I know of another little known out-of-the-way public street that is only about 175 feet long. Did you have something shorter in mind?

Old 05-14-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
There is a prominently placed street that is only 375 +/- feet long. However, I know of another little known out-of-the-way public street that is only about 175 feet long. Did you have something shorter in mind?
No, I am on a quest to find the shortest bonafide street in Independence, where ever it might be.

Not sure why, "short" just came to my mind this morning.

Probably because I was thinking of the Roe River in Montana that I visited at one time in the past and is advertised as the shortest river in the world, chuckle. That river is 201 foot long.

So where is that 175 foot street?

.06 of a mile comes up to 317 feet for Parker Court. I dont know what the error rate might be in my measurements, though.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
No, I am on a quest to find the shortest bonafide street in Independence, where ever it might be.

Not sure why, "short" just came to my mind this morning.

Probably because I was thinking of the Roe River in Montana that I visited at one time in the past and is advertised as the shortest river in the world, chuckle. That river is 201 foot long.

So where is that 175 foot street?

.06 of a mile comes up to 317 feet for Parker Court. I dont know what the error rate might be in my measurements, though.
Higashimurayama Dr comes in at 350-375 feet, depending where on the curve you end it to start Maple. H... Dr is the N-S street by City Hall.

But coming in at roughly 175 feet (according to Google Maps) is Aaron Lane. It runs east off Crisp just south of Truman Road. However, Google places it too far south, and has a crook in it. The street actually runs immediately behind the business on the corner of Truman and Crisp. Bing Maps and Mapquest place it correctly, but don't have the measure tool.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Higashimurayama Dr comes in at 350-375 feet, depending where on the curve you end it to start Maple. H... Dr is the N-S street by City Hall.

But coming in at roughly 175 feet (according to Google Maps) is Aaron Lane. It runs east off Crisp just south of Truman Road. However, Google places it too far south, and has a crook in it. The street actually runs immediately behind the business on the corner of Truman and Crisp. Bing Maps and Mapquest place it correctly, but don't have the measure tool.

The aerial on Google does place it south of where it is but if you go down to ground level, it is in the right place, has a street sign, etc., but the Google camera car did not bother to photo it at ground level. There are three houses on the south side. I came up with 105 feet on one measurement and 113 feet on another measurement with Delorme Maps but it seems longer.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
The aerial on Google does place it south of where it is but if you go down to ground level, it is in the right place, has a street sign, etc., but the Google camera car did not bother to photo it at ground level. There are three houses on the south side. I came up with 105 feet on one measurement and 113 feet on another measurement with Delorme Maps but it seems longer.
While dining on a delectable dinner dished up by my devoted darling I recollected another extremely short street in our fair city. This one is so short that most people could drive on it and never see it. However, since it is located at the dead-end of another street it doesn't get much traffic. No signs mark its existence, unless you know someone that used to live on it you would never find it. You can't know someone living there now, because the only house on this street was razed some years ago. If you are generous with the tape measure it would be 60 feet long.

Bing Maps doesn't know it exists, but Google does.
My 1988 Polk's does have a listing for it. Where is this rather shy street hiding, and what is its name?

P.S. Editing to add this clarification: This is what I believe to be the shortest street as built. However, as platted it is several hundred feet long. The rest of the street was never built, and probably never will be.

Last edited by Mad Anthonie; 05-14-2015 at 05:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City