Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2015, 12:15 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
To help you out I present the plat map showing this very short street. The only portion "built" is the tip of the cul-de-sac for the intersecting street. The N-S portion was never built, and none of the lots on that portion were developed. I know that at least one of our occasional visitors to this thread is familiar with this street.

Perhaps posting both the plat map and an actual view will help someone recognize this area.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 01:34 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
Quote:
Perhaps posting both the plat map and an actual view will help someone recognize this area.

Looks to be the east end of Elm Street east of Lee's Summit. As Paul Harvey might say, "What is the rest of the story?"

Old 05-16-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Looks to be the east end of Elm Street east of Lee's Summit. As Paul Harvey might say, "What is the rest of the story?"
My, what a sharp eye you have! That is indeed the location. Lacy Lane is its name, being shortest is its fame. When Queen City Park was platted Lacy Lane was to run south from the end of Elm to intersect with 17th St. To do so would require considerable expense. I wonder if the designer that did the plat ever visited the site! A bridge would be needed to cross the creek. Not easily visible in this view is the bluff on the south side of the creek, which would have required extensive excavation. At one time there were houses most of the way around the cul-de-sac, lots -03, -02, -01, and -05. Lots -04 and -06 were never built on. The house on lot -05 (and possibly -01) were addressed as Lacy Lane, the rest on Elm. The lots along Lacy Lane are still subdivided, and have several different owners, but none were developed.

The houses around the cul-de-sac were bought by the city between 1997 and 2003 and razed due to frequent flooding. The city remains the owner of those lots. This is how it looked in 1990...

Old 05-16-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
My, what a sharp eye you have! That is indeed the location. Lacy Lane is its name, being shortest is its fame. When Queen City Park was platted Lacy Lane was to run south from the end of Elm to intersect with 17th St. To do so would require considerable expense. I wonder if the designer that did the plat ever visited the site! A bridge would be needed to cross the creek. Not easily visible in this view is the bluff on the south side of the creek, which would have required extensive excavation. At one time there were houses most of the way around the cul-de-sac, lots -03, -02, -01, and -05. Lots -04 and -06 were never built on. The house on lot -05 (and possibly -01) were addressed as Lacy Lane, the rest on Elm. The lots along Lacy Lane are still subdivided, and have several different owners, but none were developed.

The houses around the cul-de-sac were bought by the city between 1997 and 2003 and razed due to frequent flooding. The city remains the owner of those lots. This is how it looked in 1990...

DeLorme Maps has the 1500-1599 S block of Lacy Lane from Truman south to Kansas Street as being 550 feet north of that cul-de-sac on Elm.

Google Maps shows that same street by air as Hillside Drive but does not have ground photos. The street sign at Truman shows it to be Hillside Drive. When approaching that street from Kansas Street, that particular street has a locked gate where Kansas ends.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:01 PM

While roaming around, Delorme Maps shows alphabetical named streets in the southern portion of Independence. As does Google.

A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K. and L streets all appear to be legitimate paved streets. They run in both directions.

L Street ends at the south city limits in that small portion of town that dips south of 40 Highway.

The entire area appears to be made up entirely of mobile homes.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
DeLorme Maps has the 1500-1599 S block of Lacy Lane from Truman south to Kansas Street as being 550 feet north of that cul-de-sac on Elm.

Google Maps shows that same street by air as Hillside Drive but does not have ground photos. The street sign at Truman shows it to be Hillside Drive. When approaching that street from Kansas Street, that particular street has a locked gate where Kansas ends.
That is a private street for the Hillside Apartments. They added the locked gate at the south end due to people using it as a shortcut from Lee's Summit Road to Truman Road.

Quote:
While roaming around, Delorme Maps shows alphabetical named streets in the southern portion of Independence. As does Google.

A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K. and L streets all appear to be legitimate paved streets. They run in both directions.

L Street ends at the south city limits in that small portion of town that dips south of 40 Highway.

The entire area appears to be made up entirely of mobile homes.
Those are private streets within the Highland Manor Trailer Park, 17311 E US 40 Highway.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
You should be able to determine where the bridge was at, at one time.
The Bus Stop café was on the southwest corner of Lynn and Lexington. The building is still there.

Busses parked in a row on Lynn facing south. The café was wide enough to have a counter for service on the east side and a row of benches along the west wall for waiting passengers. An announcer called arriving and departing buses. A least on the route I rode, there were two busses working, which provided every thirty minute service. The drivers would always wave at each other when the two passed along the way.

(Prior to this café, buses converged on the southwest corner of Main and Lexington with riders standing and waiting on the sidewalk with no shelter.)

The more I think about it, the bus I would take home proceeded south along Lynn across the bridge that then crossed the tracks south of Walnut. At Short or Elm Street it would turn east to Noland Road and then proceed south on Noland to 23rd. I remember the side rails on that bridge as being wood painted white. The floor was apparently wood also as the 1916 Sanborn shows it as a frame bridge.

After the bridge was condemned, the bus turned east from Lynn onto Kansas or Walnut to get to Noland.

The bus subsequently turned east on Alton and at Logan turned back north to Hayward and then east again going out of the city limits to Kiger and then heading south to 23rd and then west heading back to town. I don’t recall anyone getting on or off before Logan. This was about 1.5 miles from the Bus Stop café.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:51 AM

Before the Bus Stop Café became the central bus converging point on the square, I took a city bus to the west part of town to attend a birthday party. I was just a little guy, maybe fourth grade, but I was an experienced bus rider, at least on my route.

I got off my bus at Lexington and Main and waited for the west side bus to arrive. Once boarded, I told the driver where I was going because I did not know where I was going and to tell me when my street came up. All I can remember about that route was that we headed west on 23rd Street. It seemed like we had driven forever when I asked him where my stop was.

He had forgotten about me even though I was sitting in the front seat behind him. On his return to the square, he dropped me off and I walked to the birthday house, which was not very far from the stop. I can still remember trudging up to the house number I was looking for while carrying a wrapped birthday gift and upset that I was late to the party.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:34 AM

239 posts, read 257,157 times
Wow, Truman & 24 Highway were my first two thoughts... I'm always wrong on these questions... amazing I was actually on the right page for a change.

Quote:
Under that scenario Truman Road would be the undisputed champ. In my opinion the honor goes to US 24 Highway. Although portions of it carry other names, US 24 is the primary name throughout. In my PD days we always used 24 Highway when referring to any intersection along the entire route. There are portions where individual addresses used the alternate names.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Under that scenario Truman Road would be the undisputed champ. In my opinion the honor goes to US 24 Highway. Although portions of it carry other names, US 24 is the primary name throughout. In my PD days we always used 24 Highway when referring to any intersection along the entire route. There are portions where individual addresses used the alternate names.
How about M-78 Highway?

I have always considered the street all the way into Lake City Arsenal as being 23rd Street. Although at some point it ceases being named 23rd and is named M-78, although it is M-78 all along 23rd.

By the time "23rd" gets to M-7, though, it is on an east-west grid level with 1st Street South.

And to think when roads were first laid out under the Public Land Survey System they were 66 feet wide and one mile apart in each direction and straight north to south and straight east to west in those directions with no exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City