Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 12:35 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,685,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Ironically, just looked him up the other day when a friend sent an email that said "gone fishin'"

KCMO Ch. 5 was The Sportsman's Friend . . .so I suspect this is a trick question

Who was his big local sponsor on TSF?
Not a trick question but I erred when I said Harold Ensley died at 102 in Overland Park. He was 92.

Ford was the sponsor for "The Sportsman's Friend."

KCMO TV channel 5 was, indeed, where Harold Ensley started "The Sportsman's Friend" in 1953. That show went national in 1973 via syndication and did not leave the air until 2000.

But, where, what station, did Harold Ensley's "The Fisherman's Friend" broadcast prior to 1953? He was almost 40 when this show started and prior to that time was a preacher who liked fishing very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
klds?
No. But here is a huge hint that will allow you to phonetically determine the station where Harold Ensley broadcast "The Fisherman's Friend."

Although he was not familiar with the station, a famous Indian companion of the masked rider of the plains would utter the answer in the first two syllables of a longer saying.

If one were to hear only those first two syllables as a reference to the station and lived in the KC area in the early fifties they would recognize the call letters.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:28 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,418,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
No. But here is a huge hint that will allow you to phonetically determine the station where Harold Ensley broadcast "The Fisherman's Friend."

Although he was not familiar with the station, a famous Indian companion of the masked rider of the plains would utter the answer in the first two syllables of a longer saying.

If one were to hear only those first two syllables as a reference to the station and lived in the KC area in the early fifties they would recognize the call letters.
That was my next guess! Rather than an Indian name the call letters stood for something a bit closer to home. Well, actually they stood for home...

Old 07-09-2015, 01:38 PM

60 posts, read 55,812 times
Quote:

KIMO-AM is where he started the show in the late 40's. I have mentioned before that my subdivision I grew up was named KIMO Court with their broadcast tower at the end of my street. I think the station was at the Blue Ridge Mall for awhile.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev 2732 View Post
KIMO-AM is where he started the show in the late 40's. I have mentioned before that my subdivision I grew up was named KIMO Court with their broadcast tower at the end of my street. I think the station was at the Blue Ridge Mall for awhile.

From the beginning of the TV program in 1953, I never did like his TV show probably because I was not much of a hunter or a fisherman. However, my dad was both and I would sort of look in while he was watching the program—there being only one small TV in the house.

Prior to the television program, the Fisherman’s Friend broadcast live from 1951 to 1953 on “KeeMo,” KIMO radio, Independence. It might very well have been earlier than '51 as my source was working from recollection.

At KeeMo, Ensley worked with such DJ notables as Little Herbie Hoeflicker and Balin’ Wire Bob Strack……………………..

Old 07-09-2015, 02:19 PM

For bonus points who can tell me what very popular TV show Harold made a guest appearance on, as an actor, not as himself?

Old 07-09-2015, 02:34 PM

60 posts, read 55,812 times
Quote:
For bonus points who can tell me what very popular TV show Harold made a guest appearance on, as an actor, not as himself?
For a no expense paid coupon at Hi-Boy, I will say Beverly Hillbillies.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Gunsmoke is the only show he is credited with by IMdb but wikipedia credits him with Beverly Hillbillies, also.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev 2732 View Post
For a no expense paid coupon at Hi-Boy, I will say Beverly Hillbillies.
Quote:
Gunsmoke is the only show he is credited with by IMdb but wikipedia credits him with Beverly Hillbillies, also.
You both get to pay your own way at HiBoy's! I was going on the IMDB entry showing a guest shot on Gunsmoke. Since Wikipedia is an open reference I would question that entry without supporting sources. However, since Paul Henning, creator of Beverly Hillbillies, was also a local legend it is conceivable that Harold showed up there also.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:57 PM

A July 13, 2003, issue of the Lawrence (Kansas) Journal-World carries an article from the Wichita Eagle, which says that Ensley's fishing trips with cast members of Gunsmoke and the Beverly Hillbillies earned him a spot on both shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City