Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2015, 09:20 AM

239 posts, read 257,157 times

Advertisements

It's here!!! Parking suggestion - The Sunshine Center (or what used to be) parking lot is free and often has open spots.

I am about to view the video from 1947. I don't remember seeing it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Technically you would have been correct!

My Beloved and I will probably mosey up for a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 12:01 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
This one may be a bit tougher than usual. Keep in mind recent topics...

What do these three blocks photographed in 1957 have in common today? (Hint-the third one has twice as much of ____________ as the first two.)

To make things a bit easier here are all three in their geographic context...

Old 09-05-2015, 09:28 PM

320 posts, read 309,943 times
Quote:
This one may be a bit tougher than usual. Keep in mind recent topics...

What do these three blocks photographed in 1957 have in common today? (Hint-the third one has twice as much of ____________ as the first two.)

To make things a bit easier here are all three in their geographic context...

Well, I think I'm looking between Liberty and Osage with Truman Rd. at the top. The obvious contrast that I see although it may not be the obvious you're after, is the reduced number of buildings and increased number of parking lots. That is especially true of photo #3.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
Well, I think I'm looking between Liberty and Osage with Truman Rd. at the top. The obvious contrast that I see although it may not be the obvious you're after, is the reduced number of buildings and increased number of parking lots. That is especially true of photo #3.
So far you are correct. The first two blocks have been half-paved over, the third is now completely a parking lot.

Now tie those lots into a very current context for another shared trait of those blocks.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:05 AM

2,373 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Quote:
That is the Sugar Creek Municipal Pool, and the large parking lot across Kentucky that served for both it and the ball fields just south of there.

Great memories of those entertainment venues

As I drove thru there in Aug 2013 I couldn't help but think of the contrast, 50 years back. Lots of noise from the pool, cars parked everywhere, a game or practice on the ball field. Some of the most memorable games played on that diamond . . . and one not so memorable

Old 09-06-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
...and one not so memorable
Do tell! We love a good story.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:50 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
In the oldest days, the big ones never quite made it here, advancing from the east but missing local territory by one-hundred miles or so.

However, several varieties of smaller cousins live in Independence and Jackson County although they have thinned out from advancing civilization.

Two giant subspecies live in Missouri and one of these subspecies is found only in Missouri and one other state. These two relatives of the Jackson County varieties are underwater dudes having both lungs and gills but they use neither to breathe.

They are four-legged animals. They have a tail but do not swim--walking under water with front legs having four toes and hind legs having five toes.

Sexual reproduction is performed externally to the male and female body. They are solitary animals usually living for life in the same place.

The Missouri Department of Conservation says that early settlers thought these animals might be creatures from hell, and thus gave them what became their official name.

In addition to slimy skin, they have beady eyes.

They grow up to thirty inches in length, up to almost six pounds, and live up to thirty years.

What is the name of this creature from hell?

Old 09-06-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
In the oldest days, the big ones never quite made it here, advancing from the east but missing local territory by one-hundred miles or so.

However, several varieties of smaller cousins live in Independence and Jackson County although they have thinned out from advancing civilization.

Two giant subspecies live in Missouri and one of these subspecies is found only in Missouri and one other state. These two relatives of the Jackson County varieties are underwater dudes having both lungs and gills but they use neither to breathe.

They are four-legged animals. They have a tail but do not swim--walking under water with front legs having four toes and hind legs having five toes.

Sexual reproduction is performed externally to the male and female body. They are solitary animals usually living for life in the same place.

The Missouri Department of Conservation says that early settlers thought these animals might be creatures from hell, and thus gave them what became their official name.

They grow up to thirty inches in length, up to almost six pounds, and live up to thirty years.

Ooh, ooh, I know, I know!!! An IRS auditor!

Old 09-06-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

Or perhaps I should have let someone else give a better answer, something such as hellbender salamander!

From Wikipedia:

The origin of the name "hellbender" is unclear. The Missouri Department of Conservation says:
The name 'hellbender' probably comes from the animal's odd look. Perhaps it was named by settlers who thought "it was a creature from hell where it's bent on returning." Another rendition says the undulating skin of a hellbender reminded observers of "horrible tortures of the infernal regions." In reality, it's a harmless aquatic salamander.
Vernacular names include "snot otter", "devil dog", "mud-devil", "grampus", "Allegheny alligator", "mud dog", "water dog", and "leverian water newt".

Old 09-06-2015, 06:48 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
Quote:
Or perhaps I should have let someone else give a better answer, something such as hellbender salamander!

From Wikipedia:

The origin of the name "hellbender" is unclear. The Missouri Department of Conservation says:
The name 'hellbender' probably comes from the animal's odd look. Perhaps it was named by settlers who thought "it was a creature from hell where it's bent on returning." Another rendition says the undulating skin of a hellbender reminded observers of "horrible tortures of the infernal regions." In reality, it's a harmless aquatic salamander.
Vernacular names include "snot otter", "devil dog", "mud-devil", "grampus", "Allegheny alligator", "mud dog", "water dog", and "leverian water newt".

Hellbender is correct.

They are unofficially called “snot otters” because they are so slimy. Other names given to them are “devil dog,” “mud-devil,” “grampus,” Allegheny alligator,” “mud dog,” and “water dog.”

They breathe through their skin.

The subspecies making it almost to Jackson County was the Eastern Hellbender. The Ozark Hellbender is in danger of disappearing in that area of the state.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 09-06-2015 at 07:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City