Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2015, 08:16 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times

Advertisements

In the past we have discussed street names that were used multiple times in different parts of town. Most of you are familiar with Hayward, which runs west from Lee's Summit Road (formerly Kiger). Back in the late 1950s there was another Hayward. Where was it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
In the past we have discussed street names that were used multiple times in different parts of town. Most of you are familiar with Hayward, which runs west from Lee's Summit Road (formerly Kiger). Back in the late 1950s there was another Hayward. Where was it?
Hayward Avenue is shown on the 1959 map running east off of River one block north of Silver Lane.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:19 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times
Quote:
Hayward Avenue is shown on the 1959 map running east off of River one block north of Silver Lane.

Where's WCHS been? That question was "right up his alley"

Old 11-13-2015, 08:23 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Where's WCHS been? That question was "right up his alley"
I have it on good authority that the long Hayward street was named after Susan and the short Hayward street was named after Louis.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I have it on good authority that the long Hayward street was named after Susan and the short Hayward street was named after Louis.
That warrants an explanation! Who were/are Susan and Louis?

Old 11-13-2015, 01:02 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times
Quote:
That warrants an explanation! Who were/are Susan and Louis?
Famous movie stars................................

Old 11-14-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Famous movie stars................................
Oh them! I think I went to school with one of them.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 732 times
The railroad tracks ran behind what is Sav-a-Lot at Truman and Sterling. The crossover bridge went over Sterling just to the south end of the Burnup Equipment Co. ran NW towards Carlisle School and spurred someplace because the line came out by where B&G Roller Rink was on Northern and went by Crisp Lake over by Rost/Dahmer Chevrolet and continued behind Western Auto and joined up at the Wilson Rd junction. Going back East from Sterling the RR tracks went behind the Trolley Drive In and Milk Jug. From there I cant remember HOW it ran. I vaguely remember it MAY have crossed Truman about where Pollys Soda Pop was .. The majority of remnants of the RR tracks are long gone except in a few spots.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmexan View Post
The railroad tracks ran behind what is Sav-a-Lot at Truman and Sterling. The crossover bridge went over Sterling just to the south end of the Burnup Equipment Co. ran NW towards Carlisle School and spurred someplace because the line came out by where B&G Roller Rink was on Northern and went by Crisp Lake over by Rost/Dahmer Chevrolet and continued behind Western Auto and joined up at the Wilson Rd junction. Going back East from Sterling the RR tracks went behind the Trolley Drive In and Milk Jug. From there I cant remember HOW it ran. I vaguely remember it MAY have crossed Truman about where Pollys Soda Pop was .. The majority of remnants of the RR tracks are long gone except in a few spots.
That was the Independence-Kansas City Air Line RR, which later became part of Kansas City Southern RR. I have a several maps covering that route.

This one is from 1904. Later an additional small section of track was added at Northern forming a triangle. That allowed trains from either end to also go up the spur into Sugar Creek.

There are several locations along that route that the roadbed is still evident, if'n you have a keen eye and know where to look.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:52 AM

37 posts, read 35,412 times
Mad, your rail map reminds me of another question I have been meaning to ask. This concerns the area within a block or two north of the old Air-line depot on the square. In the late 60's (67-69) someone attempted to open a night club of sorts called the Purple Paisley Pomegranate. Yep, not making that up. It was referred to a being a place for "love-ins" as reflective of the times. It was in an ancient, decrepit, free standing building on the east side of, and facing, Osage. I think maybe it was directly across from the bowling alley. We would pass it on our way to Cochran's record shop. Does anyone recall this business? I don't think we ever saw people near it and possibly it never opened. I am curious as to what the building might have originally been used for as it was considerably older looking than anything else on the square. Might it have been part of the old Air-line facilities? The building was eventually torn down and that area became a parking lot. BTW, I also remember our neighborhood's parents trying 1) to figure out exactly what a "love-in" was, and 2) trying to explain it to their pre-teen kids. Great fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City