Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 03:17 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times

Advertisements

The Drumm Farm was way out in the country at one time.

I was with a few boys from our Cub Scout pack visiting the Drumm Farm around 1950. We received a guided tour of the dormitories and I recall thinking I was glad I did not live like that. All the residents were off somewhere doing farm chores.

For some reason we Cubs were alone when we went to the barn to meet some of the boys.

It turned out they were not really happy receiving gawking guests who had happy homes. They did not want to be met or be friendly. I suppose they had done this with visitors so many times they were tired of it. These kids were not orphans or troublemakers but were from broken homes.

They were putting up hay as we watched and at least one of the boys was making detrimental remarks about us. However, they got more friendlier when the adults showed up.

The experience gave me another outlook on these boys and I appreciated their situation much more after that.

I dont know what these kids do now since the farm portion is now a golf course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 08:36 PM

Default St. Mary's High School

According to one source, St. Mary’s High School started in 1853.

The 1947 building is still going in the 600 block of north Main Street.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:23 PM

Default Hilltop School

As teenagers, Friday evening was the usual time we would go to the Granada Theater. The Deco Art theater was at the corner of Maple and Spring, three blocks west of the square. We almost always double dated before age 16 when one or other boys’ parents would drive and pick us up. After age 16 it was usually single dating.

On these Friday nights just prior to the movie starting, a female matron would walk down one of the two long aisles followed by a long line of young girls. Another matron took up the rear. After being seated, this procession occupied two or three rows of seating in the center section, rather close to the screen.

This procession happened so frequently on our Friday night dates that we soon came to expect these girls arrival or wondered where they were at if they did not show up.

The girls came to the theater by bus from the Hilltop School for Girls located at the north end of Noland Road, where Noland originates. In those days, that was a remote area. Hilltop was for wayward and troubled girls but on the many Friday nights they attended, there was no noise from any of them and all appeared very well behaved.

Jackson County started the Hilltop School for Girls in 1912. It covered 80 acres and existed at the Noland Road location until around 1970.

The girl’s school moved to Lee’s Summit Road south of Independence near the Truman Medical Center and their old school grounds became a Regional Police Academy, which has since moved elsewhere.

The latest information I have found is that the site is now the home of the Sisters of Saint Francis of the Holy Eucharist.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 06-06-2012 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: needed

Old 06-06-2012, 03:23 PM

Default Jackson Square

At one time the name of Independence Square was Jackson Square, named after Andrew Jackson.

The Independence Power and Light had a power facility named Jackson Square Station (which must have been the old power station where the Sermon Community Center is now) Some web sites still have a reference to Jackson Square.

The official adoption of the name Jackson Square came sometime in the fifties. I don't have any information as to when the name reverted to Independence Square.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:03 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
I was away a few days, now I'll try to play catch-up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Next door north to the Jackson County library on OSAGE was a music shop that I cannot remember the name. The very outgoing lady owner sold hi fis, stereos, sheet music, 45s, etc. She moved to the Blue Ridge Mall when it opened.
I remember Cochran's Music, located on the east side of Osage, north of the library and across from Velvet Freeze. They were mainly a record shop. I don't remember what year they closed, but it was still open after the BR Mall was built.

Turner's Music sold and leased instruments, sold sheet music, and gave lessons. Jenkin's was similar, but I don't recall them having an Independence location, just KC. That will take some research.

Quote:
One block south from the square at Main and Kansas was the city hall, a very small two-story building built in the 1900s.

The police department was in this building as was the city jail—one cell for men and one cell for women.

...first Jackson County Courthouse, the log building. If it was ever open for viewing, I cannot remember it being so.

Needing more room City Hall moved to the vacated Bundshu department store and later to a new larger building at the end of Maple Street one block east of the square.

A new and much larger police department was constructed at Noland and Truman Roads, two blocks from the square.

I suspect both of these "new" buildings are over crowded.
When I started working at the IPD around 1973 it was spread out. Records, dispatch, the jail, and some command staff shared the old city hall with the Municipal Court. The youth unit was located in the log courthouse. Recovered and/or confiscated property was in the stone building behind the log courthouse. Patrol, detectives, traffic unit, and the lab shared the Annex. That building is still standing, currently a law office at Kansas & Liberty (SE corner). When we moved to the new building the third floor was unfinished. Later the Health Department moved in until the new city hall was built, at which time the PD took over the entire building. Now the PD has some units in a small building on Truman Road just east of Hocker.

You forgot that City Hall was also located in the 400 block of South Main for some years, just before the move to the Bundschu Building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
We would ride our bikes to where River Rd. split and look down at the Mighty Mo, but not venturing to go down the split road to river level, which looks like Wayne City Road. From up high it looked like there were cement plant(s) along the banks. A Google Satellite view looks to have either cement plants and/or grain elevators at that spot and nearby Look also around Courtney Rd.
As kids we made the same bike ride, but would follow the high road. We lifted our bikes over the gate and peddled down old River Road all the way to 71-Bypass. There is a loop road off the closed section that goes back to a cemetery. We also found a major sinkhole toward the western end.

Quote:
According to one source, St. Mary’s High School started in 1853.

The 1947 building is still going in the 600 block of north Main Street.
Within a few years St. Marys and O'Hare High Schools will merge and move into a new building in Lee's Summit, near the LS airport.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

I remember Cochran's Music, located on the east side of Osage, north of the library and across from Velvet Freeze. They were mainly a record shop. I don't remember what year they closed, but it was still open after the BR Mall was built.

Cochran's Music was the store I was thinking of. I purchased my first console stereo outfit from her. I never bought a HiFi.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:

When I started working at the IPD around 1973 it was spread out. Records, dispatch, the jail, and some command staff shared the old city hall with the Municipal Court. The youth unit was located in the log courthouse. Recovered and/or confiscated property was in the stone building behind the log courthouse. Patrol, detectives, traffic unit, and the lab shared the Annex. That building is still standing, currently a law office at Kansas & Liberty (SE corner). When we moved to the new building the third floor was unfinished. Later the Health Department moved in until the new city hall was built, at which time the PD took over the entire building. Now the PD has some units in a small building on Truman Road just east of Hocker.
I think it was 1961. I had purchased a 62 state sticker (late) for my license plate but had left it on the table at my parents house. I headed for homecoming at what is now University of Central Missouri. Almost immediately, an Independence policeman stopped me on Noland for having an expired license plate. I pointed out that I had the new sticker at home and I was only a mile away and I could get it pretty quickly and put it on the plate. Of course he said "no" and then I started arguing with him. Finally, he said you are under arrest and hauled me off in his patrol car to Kansas and Main. I had only couple dollars on me and could not post bond so the police clerk began typing up my personal effects, etc. I was headed to jail. Someone had seen the confrontation on Noland and called my father. He came in just as I was giving my personal effects up and he gave the Police Chief, (Henry Williams, I think) who happened to be there, $10 to let me go until court. This was the first and only time in my life that I was arrested. I never understood whether that was a "payment" or what but I saw the chief take the money and put it in his pocket. And at this point I just wanted to get away from going to jail.
I later appeared in court and think I paid a $20 fine. Since that time I have made it a point to put that sticker on the tag as soon as I get home.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 06-06-2012 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: needed

Old 06-06-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
You forgot that City Hall was also located in the 400 block of South Main for some years, just before the move to the Bundschu Building.
I guess I was not aware of that. The only place I remember City Hall being was at Kansas and Main, then Bundschu and then Maple Street.

But when they moved to Bundschu I was probably in Germany.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:35 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Quote:

Cochran's Music was the store I was thinking of. I purchased my first console stereo outfit from her. I never bought a HiFi.
Now that I hear the name (long forgotten) I'm thinking that was the place I bought This Diamond Ring (Gary Lewis & Playboys) and the year was 1965, so the BR Mall had been open several years. Yet all this time I thought it was Jenkins

Old 06-06-2012, 09:36 PM

Default Photos

Mad, have you found some more photos?

What you have posted are great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City