Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2012, 10:46 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times

Advertisements

In the fifties and sixties, United Supers were “run” by Fleming Foods out of North Kansas City. Fleming furnished all of the case goods needs to each store owner and ran the weekly advertising program charging each store an appropriate amount. They also furnished training guidance and advice on displays and such.

A competitor to Fleming was Associated Grocers which "ran" A-G grocery stores. United Supers and A-G were the major competitors to A&P, Safeway, and Kroger.

My local employment was at C&J United Super, Charlie's United Super, and Cascio's, which was supplied by Associated Grocers.

The Fleming private house brand was either ShurFresh or ShurFine. ShurFresh canned peaches, for example, were cheaper than national brands, like Del-Monte, in the same size can and I think the individual store might have made a larger profit on each private label can.

Fleming eventually had a small distribution warehouse on north Noland Road, apparently where Google Earth shows South City Furniture to be now. I recall making a few trips up there in a truck to pick up some items that were needed fast in the store.

I recall another brand carried was School of the Ozarks. School of the Ozarks labeled canned tomatoes, beans, etc. There was a college or industrial school located somewhere in the Ozarks. Students did not have to pay any tuition for their schooling but they had to work either in the fields or in the canning side and that paid their tuition. I don’t know that this is still going on.

Another item carried that comes to my mind was a forgotten odd brand of peas. This brand had only a two can-wide exposure on the top shelf but the product sold at a good steady rate. I was advised that poor people bought the product. The peas were considerably cheaper than any other brand and if someone slipped up on case ordering, we would run out. One day I read the ingredients on the can and it said something similar to “Excessively mealy, sometimes broken peas, but with the same nutritional value as other canned peas.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

Fleming eventually had a small distribution warehouse on north Noland Road, apparently where Google Earth shows South City Furniture to be now. I recall making a few trips up there in a truck to pick up some items that were needed fast in the store.
On the northeast corner of College and Noland across from the former Fleming distribution warehouse, is Church’s Chicken.

I think that same store has been there for many years and may even be the first franchised fried chicken restaurant to locate in Independence. I believe it came to town before Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:05 AM

778 posts, read 1,023,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I'm back and playing catch up after another hectic work week. Here are more views showing the dangers of this bridge...

Great photos, Mad! Do you have any more of Truman in this time frame, but further east? Keep 'em coming!

Old 10-08-2012, 04:53 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
A McD's at 24 & Vassar? Wow, sure don't remember that esp since in 1962 that was on the commute home from 24/River to Sterling.
You probably know it better as 24 Hiway & Forest. The original McD's building sat to the west of the current one. Vasaar is the street along the west of the property that drops off 24 Hiway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Great photos, Mad! Do you have any more of Truman in this time frame, but further east? Keep 'em coming!
I will be doling them out over time. I don't want to overload your memory lane banks!

Old 10-08-2012, 04:58 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:

I had always wondered what that building used to be. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
I recall another brand carried was School of the Ozarks. School of the Ozarks labeled canned tomatoes, beans, etc. There was a college or industrial school located somewhere in the Ozarks. Students did not have to pay any tuition for their schooling but they had to work either in the fields or in the canning side and that paid their tuition. I don’t know that this is still going on.
It is now College of the Ozarks, and still going strong. It is still a "free" to hard-workers school, and is located just a few miles from Branson. The campus is beautiful, and has a rather interesting musuem. If you ever get a hankerin' to see the Clampett's truck just head on down, they have it on display.

www.cofo.edu

Old 10-08-2012, 06:08 PM

Probably for obvious reasons, not much has been said about the Kansas City Chiefs on this thread. The Chiefs may be losers today but once they once were a powerhouse.

The Chiefs won the Super Bowl in 1970 and on Christmas day 1971, they played Miami, with the winner going to the 1972 Super Bowl. As were the league rules back then to encourage game attendance, the game was blacked out in Kansas City.

With fifteen seconds left in a tied game, Jan Stenerud missed a short field goal and the game went into overtime. In the sixth quarter, Miami won with a field goal.

The game was played at the old Municipal Stadium at 22nd and Brooklyn on a 61 degree day. It became the longest game in NFL history lasting a total of 82 minutes plus in playing time. (Three hours 21 minutes total time).

The game was the first ever Miami win over Kansas City.

The previous record for a game was 77 plus minutes playing time in 1962 with the Dallas Texans (destined to be the KC Chiefs) also involved.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:25 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
[/b]
I had always wondered what that building used to be. Thanks for the info.

It is now College of the Ozarks, and still going strong. It is still a "free" to hard-workers school, and is located just a few miles from Branson. The campus is beautiful, and has a rather interesting musuem. If you ever get a hankerin' to see the Clampett's truck just head on down, they have it on display.

www.cofo.edu
And they just reinstituted the School of the Ozarks for high schoolers.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:35 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times
Quote:
Probably for obvious reasons, not much has been said about the Kansas City Chiefs on this thread. The Chiefs may be losers today but once they once were a powerhouse.

The Chiefs won the Super Bowl in 1970 and on Christmas day 1971, they played Miami, with the winner going to the 1972 Super Bowl. As were the league rules back then to encourage game attendance, the game was blacked out in Kansas City.

With fifteen seconds left in a tied game, Jan Stenerud missed a short field goal and the game went into overtime. In the sixth quarter, Miami won with a field goal.

The game was played at the old Municipal Stadium at 22nd and Brooklyn on a 61 degree day. It became the longest game in NFL history lasting a total of 82 minutes plus in playing time. (Three hours 21 minutes total time).

The game was the first ever Miami win over Kansas City.

The previous record for a game was 77 plus minutes playing time in 1962 with the Dallas Texans (destined to be the KC Chiefs) also involved.
I was at that game. Just unbelievable performance by Ed Podolak of the Chiefs. I can still picture Larry Csonka breaking away for a long run to set up the winning FG by Garo Yepremian. The crowd was stunned JS missed two chip shot FGs that could've won it.

That also marked the last FB game in Municipal Stadium. Arrowhead opened in time for the 72 season. The Royals were still playing in MS in 72, opening at the new stadium for 73.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I was at that game. Just unbelievable performance by Ed Podolak of the Chiefs. I can still picture Larry Csonka breaking away for a long run to set up the winning FG by Garo Yepremian. The crowd was stunned JS missed two chip shot FGs that could've won it.

That also marked the last FB game in Municipal Stadium. Arrowhead opened in time for the 72 season. The Royals were still playing in MS in 72, opening at the new stadium for 73.
I was in Vietnam and missed the game entirely, chuckle. But I was home for a couple Royals games at the new stadium. Never been to a Chiefs game in person. And, no Denver Bronco mania for me. I am a dyed in the wool Chiefs fans. I will root for the Royals, but my attention now is on the Colorado Rockies.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:45 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas
A McD's at 24 & Vassar? Wow, sure don't remember that esp since in 1962 that was on the commute home from 24/River to Sterling.

You probably know it better as 24 Hiway & Forest. The original McD's building sat to the west of the current one. Vasaar is the street along the west of the property that drops off 24 Hiway.

My memory is failing me, the only businesses I recall between City Block and Sterling Lanes are the old Site Oil station and the Mugs Up. I know there were alot more establishments along 24 after reviewing Polk's, but for the life of me, McDonalds nor Starlite Drive In don't ring the bell. I guess we preferred other take-out places on the way home

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City