Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:57 PM

43 posts, read 295,465 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My husband just got a job offer in Kansas City. We have never been there before but are planning a trip soon. We are wanting to move to a small town near Kansas City that has that small town Mayberry feeling.
Also we are planning on ranching later on when we save enough money. What are land prices like around KC? Is there lots of ranching around the area? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 01:30 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgal0919 View Post
Hi everyone. My husband just got a job offer in Kansas City. We have never been there before but are planning a trip soon. We are wanting to move to a small town near Kansas City that has that small town Mayberry feeling.
Also we are planning on ranching later on when we save enough money. What are land prices like around KC? Is there lots of ranching around the area? thanks
Well, first of all property values are generally higher than TX, especially in areas of JOCO. However, you mention that you wanted a small town. Some small towns exist that are close to the metro, but they also tend to be rapidly growing. Some small towns that have under 10,000 people that I would recommend would be: Platte City, Smithville, Pecuilar, and Lexington.
If you want to go over to the KS side I would recommend Lansing, De Soto, or Stilwell.
Rural land prices have risen rapdily lately, and the cost of land will be quite high close to the KC metro area.
If you want cheaper land you could probably find it up in Atchison or Doniphan counties in NE Kansas. Those areas are more rural, and will not see a big surge in population or speculative increases in land values. Also, the climate there is probably the best in the entire state in terms of farming. A few ranches are common, but larger ranch sizes tend to be found more commonly in areas of central and western Kansas.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:35 PM

I forgot to add..he will be working close to where 70 and 435 meet if he decides to take the job. So any small towns within 30 minutes of there.

Is KC a nice place to live in your opinion?

Old 04-07-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I forgot to add..he will be working close to where 70 and 435 meet if he decides to take the job. So any small towns within 30 minutes of there.

Based on that location you definitely should look into the east side of Independence, Blue Springs, or Grain Valley. If you prefer smaller towns you probably would not like to be in the higher density section of KC, MO. Other towns nearby that would be good to look into include Liberty, Gladstone, or Smithville.
KC, MO is getting a little better in terms of the variety of urban ammenities offered. The Kansas City Power and Light District is an up and coming area. The Plaza area is popular as well if you want urban living.
Overall, the Kansas City metro area is EXTREMELY spread out and very suburban overall. It has more of a "western" feel compared with St. Louis. People tend to be laid back and friendly overall.
Avoid eastern portions of KC, MO.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:

Is it in KS or MO in terms of the Interstate location? 70 and 435 meet in both KS and MO.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Is it in KS or MO in terms of the Interstate location? 70 and 435 meet in both KS and MO.
It is on the side near Bonner springs

Old 04-07-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
It is on the side near Bonner springs
The smaller towns in that area would be Lansing, Tonganoxie, De Soto, and Bonner Springs. All of these towns are smaller and in that general vicinity. All four of those towns are located near Interstates or right near them.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:55 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Your not going to get a "Mayberry feeling" in Blue Springs or Lee's Summit or Gladstone or Liberty. Those are all close in, medium sized suburbs. You probably won't even get it in Grain Valley as that town is quickly turning into a built up suburb. Smithville is possible but not sure there is much "ranching" going on up there. It's more of a lake area.

I know nothing about rural living, but I would say if you want to have a lot of land, ranching etc, you would probably be best to go west out by Bonner Springs or Lansing in Kansas were there is a lot of open land and the land is generally cheaper. Edwardsville, Bonner Springs and especially Tonganoxie are pretty "Mayberry feeling" IMO. If you want the MO side, I would try Oak Grove or Odessa but you will have to go further out of the city. It also depends on which 435/70 as plains10 mentioned. There is one in KS and MO.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:40 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,949 times
Please clarify what you mean by ranching. It will sure help us to know where to send you. Do you mean a coule of cows or do you mean 100 cows or do you mean horses?

Old 04-09-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Please clarify what you mean by ranching. It will sure help us to know where to send you. Do you mean a coule of cows or do you mean 100 cows or do you mean horses?
By ranching I mean having a couple of cows at first. Our goal is to have a working ranch eventually with many cattle but right now we are just looking for some land to get started on. We would love to have 20 acres or more but we have not even been to the area to see what land is like there. I heard it is a beautiful place. We are taking a trip next week to talk to some realtors. I was looking on realtor.com and noticed some of the homes in KC are really cheap--not sure if this is due to the neighborhood or what. I cannot find any land around tonganoxie for anything other than 1-2 acres for 50k and I cannot find any realtor websites that have farm as a search option.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City