Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 12,106 times

Advertisements

I thought my rental car bill was a mistake and had AE begin and investigation. Looked at bill again and realized taxes and fees at the airport came to 59% !!!!! This made a $95 bill $161. I'll take the MOTRAN next time.... Are the taxes and fees the same in St Louis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 09:27 PM

30 posts, read 162,286 times
Re:ONAVTX
Welcome to KC! This tax was a big deal a few years ago when KC wanted to put it on the books. The City wanted money to pay for something, the Sprint arena I think, and pushed this tax as " we can have outsiders pay our bills because only outsiders rent cars." The rental car companies tried to fight it as an unfair tax on their buisness and lost big time. The locals rent their cars in Kansas and avoid the tax.

Last edited by oldfred; 11-06-2007 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: add reference

Old 11-07-2007, 12:26 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,991 times
No, the car rental taxes, while still high, are cheaper in St. Louis than in KC. Hopefully there can be a movement to review the KC car rental taxes and lower them so that the car rental companies near the KC Airport aren't at such an unfair disadvantage. Maybe I'll need to make this a crusade once we get moved back to St. Joe!

Old 11-07-2007, 01:36 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit View Post
LOL, I am amused by the comment Versatile left. All that jackson county has to offer. After doing online research Jackson county doesnt really offer anything more than most other counties/cities do, they just charge too much for it. AND, Kansas City has far too few places that its actually SAFE to go to. You would think with all that tax money they could afford to clean the city up. I think the real problem with KC is that all that money goes to stuffing too many peoples pockets. And its probably people like versatile who vote for taxes when they come up on the ballets, ridiculous taxes. Personally I chose to live on the outskirts of the KC area. Lees Summit to be exact. No ridiculous taxes, not too much crime, clean quiet city, and close enough to everywhere else in the city that nothing is really out of your way. At least not when you consider the money you save not living IN KC.
Kansas City provides Western MO, Eastern Ks, and some of Neb and Iowa with an International airport.

How in the world could you possibly know how i vote! Do you vote? I doubt it! (Hey aren't i being just like you?) The doubt it part anyway. Such a generalization gets us no where. I pay taxes too and hate to pay ridiculous stuff as well.

Don't like what you see? Then be sure to vote.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:44 PM

17 posts, read 85,519 times
Kansas Citians will pass any tax that they think will affect others more than themselves. Hence the high taxes on car rentals, hotels, certain entertainment districts and most notably, the KC employment tax. If you live or even just work part time in KC, you pay a 1% employment tax to KC. I don't live OR work in KC and they still try to send me a tax bill every year because my wife works downtown.

Forget 'no taxation without representation' in KC. It's all about sticking it to the outsiders around here.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:58 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
No, the car rental taxes, while still high, are cheaper in St. Louis than in KC. Hopefully there can be a movement to review the KC car rental taxes and lower them so that the car rental companies near the KC Airport aren't at such an unfair disadvantage. Maybe I'll need to make this a crusade once we get moved back to St. Joe!
Maybe St. Louis can't get away with charging as much for rentals cars. If you're staying downtown you can basically take the MetroLink, MetroBus, or if absolutely necessary, a cab around town. The MetroLink is onlt $2 each way. And the MetroLink runs down by the St. Louis Downtown Airport, so I don't know that you would need a rental car. I'm not sure how much a rental car in St. Louis is.

Apparently you can get off the plane, get on a MetroBus and connect to a MetroLink train. St. Louis Downtown Airport Metro Connections

Apparently a one-way ride on the MetroBus costs $1.75 Fare Chart (http://www.metrostlouis.org/Fares/FareChart.asp - broken link)
MetroLink one way costs $2.00 You can also buy a pass for a day for $4.50

Old 02-12-2008, 09:04 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
STLCards- Not sure why you mention St. Louis Downtown Airport- no one flies out of there. It's the emptiest airport I've ever seen. It's Lambert that's the major airport, btu yes, they too have the metrolink.

I do have to say- you guys have very low property taxes in all of Missouri, so that money has to get made up somewhere. Not to stand on my soapbox for too long, but I think we all know who that helps and who that punishes.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:47 AM

5 posts, read 12,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
So what you are saying is that you want all that Jackson County offers but you don't want to pay for it.
And what exactly would those things be? Maybe you mean the football team that hasn't been to the superbowl in over 40 years, Or the baseball team that hasn't been to the world series in over 20? I live in jackson county and all i've ever seen are a bunch of crackhead neighborhoods and decrepit old buildings with grafitti all over them. Hell, I had to go to jury duty once, and I couldn't even find the courthouse until I got out and looked on foot because they don't even bother to polish the sign on the courthouse. -what they have to offer....HAH!

Old 07-15-2009, 08:53 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamcg1979 View Post
And what exactly would those things be? Maybe you mean the football team that hasn't been to the superbowl in over 40 years, Or the baseball team that hasn't been to the world series in over 20? I live in jackson county and all i've ever seen are a bunch of crackhead neighborhoods and decrepit old buildings with grafitti all over them. Hell, I had to go to jury duty once, and I couldn't even find the courthouse until I got out and looked on foot because they don't even bother to polish the sign on the courthouse. -what they have to offer....HAH!
I see you joined very recently. Troll if you want. I just added you to my ignore list!
P.S. We polish our courthouse signs on a daily basis!

Old 07-15-2009, 10:40 AM

22 posts, read 54,666 times
Ugh, so when I move here from Arizona I am going to be burdended with what looks like 20%+ more taxes. It is going to be odd paying tax on groceries...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City