U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 06:57 PM

83 posts, read 383,988 times

Advertisements

Unreal....first, there's the $4.00 A DAY rental car arena fee, then another fee for construction at the airport, THEN another tax, and finally....the sales tax. You pay tax on groceries, high tax on dining out (seems to be about almost 9% from my calculations from my receipts), 3 different tax rates depending on what county you shop in (Platte, Jackson, Clay).

NOW, I get the first KC cell phone bill, and theres:

Kansas City City Sales Tax
Kansas City City License Tax Surcharge
Jackson County Sales Tax

WTH is this???? There are more taxes on goods and services in Kansas City than ANYWHERE I've EVER lived??? Can someone explain all of this, or at least provide a listing of what all the tax rates are??? I've found the MO tax is only 4.25%, does KCMO tack on all the rest of this crap? It's ridiculous!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 09:53 PM

543 posts, read 2,211,606 times
Yes the cities tack on all the extras. The tax rate dropped on groceries a few years ago. We make a major purchase we know which city to buy in due to the tax rates. We register our vehicles at the lake at my dad's address to avoid the high personal property tax on newer vehicles in Jackson County.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:46 PM

430 posts, read 1,218,211 times
I'm hearing what your saying about the rental car "taxes and fees", that is one of my biggest problems/beefs coming into KC airport....the taxes and fees are as much as the rental car for the entire week! I never found any way around them either. Our particular flights never get in before 5:00 p.m. so the "off airport" rental sites are closed.....it's a bummer for us, but the airfare is so cheap out of Tucson with Express Jet that we tolerate it....hopefully only 2 more trips out there before we move and DRIVE out!! LOL....

Old 08-09-2007, 11:21 AM

12,282 posts, read 12,391,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMo View Post
Yes the cities tack on all the extras. The tax rate dropped on groceries a few years ago. We make a major purchase we know which city to buy in due to the tax rates. We register our vehicles at the lake at my dad's address to avoid the high personal property tax on newer vehicles in Jackson County.
So what you are saying is that you want all that Jackson County offers but you don't want to pay for it.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:49 PM

83 posts, read 383,988 times
More interesting info:

So, now I've come to understand if you buy goods/services in certain AREAS of KCMO AND Kansas.....extra tax on TOP of the state, city and county tax you're already paying. This are the "District" taxes. Cases in point:

The Plaza-.5%
Westport-.5%
Zona Rosa-1.0%
KCI-1.0%

In addition, if you purchase food (dining out, a hot dog, etc) ANYWHERE in KCMO you pay ANOTHER 2.0% on top of that!!!! The tax on dinner in say...Zona Rosa, is 10.975%!!!!!!!

I don't mind being taxed, but having a different tax rate in every part of the city is ridiculous. How do you native KCer's stand for this?

Old 08-14-2007, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 8,955 times
LOL, I am amused by the comment Versatile left. All that jackson county has to offer. After doing online research Jackson county doesnt really offer anything more than most other counties/cities do, they just charge too much for it. AND, Kansas City has far too few places that its actually SAFE to go to. You would think with all that tax money they could afford to clean the city up. I think the real problem with KC is that all that money goes to stuffing too many peoples pockets. And its probably people like versatile who vote for taxes when they come up on the ballets, ridiculous taxes. Personally I chose to live on the outskirts of the KC area. Lees Summit to be exact. No ridiculous taxes, not too much crime, clean quiet city, and close enough to everywhere else in the city that nothing is really out of your way. At least not when you consider the money you save not living IN KC.

Last edited by jackrabbit; 08-14-2007 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: Used wrong word

Old 08-16-2007, 12:16 PM

6,044 posts, read 23,226,282 times
Having just moved here from New Jersey, I don't think it's the sales tax is that big of a deal. If the tax on a $50 dinner bill was 7% (NJ's rate), you'd pay $3.50 in taxes; at 10.975% in Zona Rosa, the tax comes to $5.49. Just an extra $2, shouldn't break anyone's bank (and if it is, then you shouldn't be eating out). At most of the places I've been eating at, the total tax has been coming to about 7.5%, just a half of a percentage more than I was paying in NJ. But I've generally been eating out in the 'burbs, not the city itself. If you don't want to pay these taxes, then you can shop/eat/obtain services in a town/county where the rates are lower. The overall tax burden here is quite reasonable compared to many other parts of the country. Real estate taxes here are incredibly low (IMO), and assuming you own a home, you can't avoid those like you can a sales tax.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:47 PM

24 posts, read 34,938 times
Moving here from NJ myself I can tell you the taxes are OUT OF CONTROL in Missouri. Someone's got their hand in the cookie jar. Where does all of the tax money go? Not to our streets or schools. This would never fly in NJ!!! Too many sheeple live here. Lemmings at best...

Old 08-26-2007, 12:48 AM

2,134 posts, read 4,269,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city-man View Post
Moving here from NJ myself I can tell you the taxes are OUT OF CONTROL in Missouri. Someone's got their hand in the cookie jar. Where does all of the tax money go? Not to our streets or schools. This would never fly in NJ!!! Too many sheeple live here. Lemmings at best...
Well all I can say to that is, don't ever, ever, ever decide to relocate to the People's Republic of California. And for what it's worth, I would invite you to check out the libertarian Cato Institute's 2006 Fiscal Policy Report Card on America's governors. See if you can guess which governor was the only one to earn a grade of A for pursuing lower taxes, lower spending, and overall fiscal responsibility. Fiscal Policy Report Card on America's Governors: 2006

OK, so there's always room for improvement. But you can thank your lucky stars you aren't living here in California if wasteful state spending and ridiculous taxes are concerns--and they should be. Compared to the Left Coast Gulch, Missouri looks like the Promised Land.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:44 AM

24 posts, read 34,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
Well all I can say to that is, don't ever, ever, ever decide to relocate to the People's Republic of California. And for what it's worth, I would invite you to check out the libertarian Cato Institute's 2006 Fiscal Policy Report Card on America's governors. See if you can guess which governor was the only one to earn a grade of A for pursuing lower taxes, lower spending, and overall fiscal responsibility. Fiscal Policy Report Card on America's Governors: 2006

OK, so there's always room for improvement. But you can thank your lucky stars you aren't living here in California if wasteful state spending and ridiculous taxes are concerns--and they should be. Compared to the Left Coast Gulch, Missouri looks like the Promised Land.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

northbayeric,

It sounds like Cali is a lot worse than KC. Notice I said KC. Not Missouri. I don't know how bad the rest of the state is. How about St. Louis? Anyone? You should get out of California and check out the Midwest. Chicago maybe? I left NJ for the same reasons. KC is worse than NJ in some ways and better in others.

Regards...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City