Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:26 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,805,409 times

Advertisements

BTW, here is a site dedicated to KC Foodies...
LTHForum.com • View topic - Kansas City Index
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 11:20 AM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
Strouds - but for Chicken Fried Steak rather than chicken.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:07 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
I will try my best, i will give you a list of more then five, so maybe you can pick one from each category

Top 5 (Expensive- Over 25 a plate)
1. Blue Stem - Westport - James Beard nominated Chef
2. Justus Drugstore - Smithville - Excellent drinks and food
3. Micheal Smith - James Beard Winner
4. Pachamamas - Lawerence - American Eclectic Cuisine
5. Webster House - Crossroads - Nice view of PAC and the antiques inside are nice

Top 5 (Moderate 17-25 a plate)
1. Grunauer - Austrian/German Fare - Freighthouse - Excellent atmophere and food/cocktails
2. Julian - Brookside - Celina Tio who is making a name nationwide, her flagship restaurant, good comfort fare done well
3. Extra Virgin - Crossroads - Michael Smiths Tapas place, will be featured on TV soon
4. Westport Cafe and Bar - Westport - Nice french bistro
5. Potpie - Westport - Comfort Food Fine Dining

Inexpensive/Lunch Place
- El Camino Real - KCK - Authentic Mexican (Not Tex-Mex covered in cheese crap) and Al Pastor that rivals Mexico City
- Vietnam Cafe - Columbus Park - Great Neighborhood, really great food
- Happy Gillis Cafe - Columbus Park - Nice Brunch/Lunch Spot
- LC's BBQ - Blue Parkway KC - Best Burnt Ends and Fries on earth
- Oklahoma Joes - Westwood KS - Good BBQ
- El Pollo Rey -KCK - Best Wood Fired Chicken in Town - similar to the Peruvian Chicken places in DC
- D Bronx - 39th and State Line - Great Pizza
- Grinders - Crossroads - Great Pizza and Atmosphere
- Beer Kitchen - Westport - Awesome Fries and great Burgers
- Westport Flea Market - Great Burgers

Sweets
1. Christopher Elbow Chocolates -Crossroads- Has won many awards
2. Glace Ice Cream - South Plaza - Christopher Elbows Ice Cream Shop, many great flavors, they even do a Beer flavored ice cream (Flavors change all the time)
3. Upper Crust Bakery Inside Prydes - Best Cookie and Pies on Earth (The banana cookie covered in Burnt Sugar Frosting) - Only open Friday and Saturday
Best. List. Ever. OP, you can't go wrong with any of this.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:21 PM

886 posts, read 2,225,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
kassad, have you been to the jack stack downtown (freighthouse)? Just currious as to why you would recommend the metcalf location over the freighthouse. The charm and ambiance of the freighthouse location is much of what makes jack stack so good in my opinion, especially for an out of towner. The Jack Stack on the Plaza is in a neat area, but I would also skip that place for sure and go to the downtown location, so this is not a ks vs mo issue. I Just think the downtown jackstack is much better than the other locations.

I do second Stroud's though!

I took someone who had never been to Jack Stack at the freighthouse there 2 days. He loved it. We walked in and he said he already liked the place just because of the ambiance.

It is great, fun, an excellent location. I love everything about it.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:51 PM

886 posts, read 2,225,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
I liked Strouds 20 years ago but they have really gone down hill I think. You taste the injections in the chicken more than anything else.
I love strouds... the one in the old place north of the river... mmm so good.... i felt their chicken was lacking 2 years ago... went back tho last year and been back 3 times since... very very good

Old 07-15-2011, 08:23 AM

i'll give it another chance sometime but i suspect they are no longer choking their own chickens.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:44 AM

Another place not mentioned is Le Fou Frog. I really dig this place (haven't been in a while, hit it this weekend). A little low brow French spot in a scrappy nondescript building E of City Market. Quirky place, cool people, awesome food.

Le Fou Frog - Greater Downtown - Kansas City, MO

Old 08-01-2011, 09:40 AM

223 posts, read 334,323 times
I'm only going to list a couple, Jardine's Restaurant And Jazz Club is my favorite and I like The Classic Cup on the Plaza.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:46 PM

I've been hanging out at The Drop more often lately. Great variety of contemp bruschetta small plates and other small plates/sandwiches with high quality deli meats. Is one of my favorite lunch places again since it opened - though doable for small bite dinner too, cool place, great lounge cocktail environment. Union Hill/Martini Corner.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:18 AM

My top 5 in KC changes every month...

Got to add Lulu's Thai Noodle Shop to the list (new location near Freighthouse district). I didn't care for the old location but the new location is great - whole new large kitchen, new cooks, much higher quality food, great looking urbane space.

Have been cooking Thai/SE Asian for years and am annoyed with the shortcuts Thai restaurants take (not just in KC, everywhere in the States). They have well prepared laab with healthy amount of herbs/rice powder, shredded mango/papaya salads with right balance of lime/fish sauce/rice vinegar, noodle dishes are above avg, appz are good... the curries are just OK and the rice can be dry if not busy. My favorite Thai in KC now overall even though it leans more fusion than traditional.

Lulu's Thai Noodle Shop & Satay Bar - Crossroads - Kansas City, MO

Vietnam Cafe in Columbus Park (E of City Market) is my fave for SE Asian overall - traditional, very well prepared soups/noodles/appz. They have a tempura shrimp/sweet potato lettuce wrap with great dipping sauce. All dipping sauces are great. Vermicelli dishes and noodle soups are all consistently good with fixings served to the side.

KC has a decent handful of good Vietnamese... I like the noodle bar in Westport too (Sung Son), though more contemporary...
Vietnamese Kansas City

Last edited by xenokc; 08-08-2011 at 09:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City