U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 10:41 AM

13,724 posts, read 16,779,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Strouds is so nasty, the chicken has no flavor and the sides low grade cafeteria food, i will come up with a great list, hold tight
I agree. Until about a month ago, we last had Strouds in 1994 (I remember the year because it was the night my cat disappeared, never to return). It was okay in 1994, but nothing special. After all those years we decided about a month ago to give it another try. I WANTED to like it. But it was VERY overpriced and bland. We won't be going back. I hate to say it, but KFC, Church's, and Popeye's are all better than Strouds.

I agree with Jack Stack. I've only been to the one at 95th and Metcalf so can't comment on the freighthouse location. For Chinese, Bo Lings or Dragon Inn. I personally prefer Dragon Inn, but there are more locations of Bo Lings (Kansas and Missouri), and it's usually voted the best Chinese in KC.

J. Gilbert's in Overland Park has good steaks. We actually prefer Houston's on the Plaza but since that's a chain, may not be what the OP is looking for. Used to like Hereford House but have been disappointed the last few times.

For subs - Jimmy John's!

Last edited by luzianne; 08-08-2011 at 10:49 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 01:11 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,409,187 times
Hmm... this is a thread about where to send foodies.

On steaks, if someone just wants a steak prepared more than medium then they may as well go to any 'steakhouse'. If I were suggesting a steak to a foodie, it wouldn't be a place that calls itself a steakhouse. They tend to be poor cuts, salty and poor texture, not always but too often. They move so many steaks, it's often an assembly line of mediocre. A finer dining place with only one steak on the menu will much likely get you a truly good piece of meat that is prepared carefully. Again, those who aren't particular will disagree but this is a thread about 'foodies'. That said, of 'steak' places I'd go with Pierpont's. There are many 'dining' places that offer only one or two quality cuts like Bluestem, Justus, Reiger, Room 39, etc. , 'steakhouses' can't really touch these yet they may charge just as much. There is one B&G place I can think of that has good steaks... McCoy's in Westport. About the same or better than Houston's and other 'steakhouseses' for less $$.

Put another way, if you're going to pay high prices for a steak and sides, go to a dining place that has steaks, not a 'popular' steakhouse. If you want to pay less, you'll likely get a better steak or equal at a local B&G than a 'steakhouse'. Steakhouses tend to be a marketing gimmick of mediocre or are overly priced for what you get - granted, not all.

/overlyparticularfoodie

Old 08-08-2011, 01:16 PM

11,037 posts, read 20,884,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
For subs - Jimmy John's!

Old 08-08-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
You don't like Jimmy John's? I guess maybe Grinders would be a better recommendation for someone coming from out of town. But I do like Jimmy John's and I like Planet Sub too.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Put another way, if you're going to pay high prices for a steak and sides, go to a dining place that has steaks, not a 'popular' steakhouse. If you want to pay less, you'll likely get a better steak or equal at a local B&G than a 'steakhouse'. Steakhouses tend to be a marketing gimmick of mediocre or are overly priced for what you get - granted, not all.

/overlyparticularfoodie
So where would you suggest getting a steak? Sometimes places (J. Gilbert's) are popular because they are GOOD.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:15 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,196,995 times
J Gilberts is actually a chain, they are owned by the same people who own Houlihans.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
J Gilberts is actually a chain, they are owned by the same people who own Houlihans.
I didn't know that! I don't care much for Houlihan's!

Old 08-08-2011, 04:18 PM

BTW, here is the new KC site dedicated to foodies. I posted the older one earlier. The guy who runs it moved here from Chicago and was involved with a very popular site there. He's opened a site for KC foodies and brings in people from around the world to do private foodie fests. The site gets into some deeper crevices of KC that I didn't know about, like places that serve El Salvadoran soda to the nuances of Korean food to deepest rabbit hole places on the NE Side.

LTHForumKC.com • Index page

Old 08-10-2011, 11:24 AM

11,037 posts, read 20,884,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
You don't like Jimmy John's? I guess maybe Grinders would be a better recommendation for someone coming from out of town. But I do like Jimmy John's and I like Planet Sub too.
No, not really.

I do like Planet Sub though I'm not a huge fan of toasted subs which seems to be the fad now.

My favorite chain is by far mr goodcents. I wish we had those out here.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:56 AM

Inside Food & Bevs does a rundown on KC eats...

EAT HERE NOW – KANSAS CITY | Inside F&B
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City