U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 8,139 times

Advertisements

There is a good chance I will be moving to Kansas City in the next 6 months and will be working downtown. I am a 29 year old single female. I was in the river market area this last weekend and fell in love with it. I have spent quite a bit of time looking at lofts online, and they all seem to be income restricted, with some placed being all income restricted. It is my understanding that the maximum is around $29,000. I will be making in the low to mid 30,000s. So that disqualifies me from income restricted, but yet isn't that much more to where I can afford over $800 a month. There seems to be nothing out there for those of us just above the maximum. My max is around $700 a month (maybe a little more if it included parking or internet/cable) I'm fine with a studio as long as the layout is good. Obviously safety is important to me, especially parking at night and going into the building. I also love to run, and would like to feel safe running during the day. The only lofts I could find were the City Hall Lofts, which are outside the area I have been in. Can anyone tell me about the area, and if they know anything about those lofts? Why are they so much cheaper? Maybe they are income restricted and I just don't know.
Also any other lofts/condos in the area that people would recommend that I could get for around $700 a month market rate would be appreciated! I live in the downtown area in my current city and am very used to being close to work and really want to find somewhere similar to that in KC.
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 07:04 PM

4 posts, read 10,927 times
I live in the River Market in a non-income restricted building. Love it down here, and there are plenty of options that aren't income restricted. Mine is 1200 square feet, 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom for $900/mo. Call Old Town Lofts, they own the majority of the buildings down here. 816-474-LOFT. Or if you want I can give you the direct email of someone in the office that can work with you that way if that's easier. Let me know, if you want the email I'll direct message it to you, don't want to just float it on a public board.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:09 PM

4 posts, read 10,927 times
Also, I run 3 days a week around here. There's a pier that overlooks the river that has some stairs that leads down to a brand new paved running trail that runs along the river. Also Scott's Fitness is located in the Market, about 30 bucks a month. Granted I'm a 28 year old guy, but my fiance lives in the Richards and Connover building and runs around the area as well. I'm not sure why it's cheaper, but anywhere else you look you should expect to pay around a dollar a square foot minimum in the downtown area.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:29 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,589,734 times
Here's a list of downtown lofts...

http://216.119.82.16/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/2010-Housing-Data-Sheet-3rd-Quarter1.pdf (broken link)

Old 07-27-2011, 09:16 PM

2 posts, read 8,139 times
Thank you to both of you, that list is very helpful!

Old 07-30-2011, 10:45 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,589,734 times
if you don't find what you want in river market (it's in demand now), also check out the 'freighthouse' lofts area between union station and crossroads. some condos are also temp leased out but most are probably over $800/month.

nearly 100 old buildings have been converted to residential downtown. there are a lot of cool spaces of many forms to choose from.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:51 AM

227 posts, read 318,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Here's a list of downtown lofts...

http://216.119.82.16/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/2010-Housing-Data-Sheet-3rd-Quarter1.pdf (broken link)
Thanks for that list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City