Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 06:27 AM

11 posts, read 10,761 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am sure this is a repeated question but still will ask :-)

I am in IT and there is a possibility that I might have to move to Kansas City. I will be working in Pershing road near Union station.

I and my wife are in the 30 - 35 yrs age range and we have a little boy who is 1 yr old. We are from India and moved to the US 4 yrs back.

I am trying to find out the best suburb to live and need your help.
Minneapolis is very safe and I am not getting that feeling reading through the forums about KC so want to be pretty sure when I am choosing the place to live

I am looking for a very safe neighborhood which also has big shopping malls nearby. I am not too much worried about the school district now since I am not buying a house and my son is just 1 yrs old.
A green well maintained neighborhood will be nice.
I can go upto $1000 for a 2 bedroom apartment and I can drive 15 - 20 mins to office.

Any suggestion and recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 08:09 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,465,079 times
There are a few Indian folks in the Overland Park area, a couple places in Overland Park even have an indian market. Overland Park would be comparable to like mix between a Bloomington and Eden Prairie.

North Overland Park is older but it will most likely get you to work in 15-20 minutes while South Overland Park will be a little longer, there is no traffic here, so that will be a great relief to you.

I would defintely start looking in Overland Park and even in Mission since the commute will be closer from there.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
It does sound like Overland Park, KS area is going to be where you're most comfortable. Safe and shopping malls are among its selling points. Various parts of the northland, too.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:41 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
I'd forget Overland Park, KS and consider North Kansas City in the area around Zona Rosa shopping area (Barry Road & I-29). You'll have a fairly quick commute downtown, access to good hospitals, close to the airport. If you are still in KC when your son is of school age Parkville, MO has great schools. Really, there is no reason to live in Overland Park unless you are utilizing the schools, IMO.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:46 PM

31 posts, read 63,100 times
Where in the Minneapolis area do you live? I am moving to Kansas City in a few weeks for a job (I am just out of college, so my "wants" and "needs" are a bit different than yours) from the Lake Minnetonka area, west of Minneapolis.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:20 AM

Thanks everyone for the reply - really helps!!
I am exactly looking for a place like Eden Prairie and was happy to see that mentioned in the reply.
I am currently living right on 169 & Cedar lake road crossing, comes under Minnetonka but actually it is in the border of St Louis Park, Minnetonka & Hopkins.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I'd forget Overland Park, KS and consider North Kansas City in the area around Zona Rosa shopping area (Barry Road & I-29). You'll have a fairly quick commute downtown, access to good hospitals, close to the airport. If you are still in KC when your son is of school age Parkville, MO has great schools. Really, there is no reason to live in Overland Park unless you are utilizing the schools, IMO.

I did look into that area and found it to be interesting.
I also liked the Overland Park area. Thanks.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Any suggestions on the rental places?
Apartment or a rental townhouse works for me
Again safety is my main concern since my wife and son will be alone when I go for work

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-19-2011, 11:11 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
I am not familiar with the rental market up there when it comes to specific complexes and rates. Much of the area is newer development. There is a somewhat high density of apartments, duplexes, townhomes etc..., in that area. To the best of my knowledge safety is not a problem up there in general. As with any area, be aware of your surroundings and look for suspicious activity.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:31 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,045,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabujeyaseelan View Post
Any suggestions on the rental places?
Apartment or a rental townhouse works for me
Again safety is my main concern since my wife and son will be alone when I go for work

Thanks in advance!
Most apartment/townhouse complexes in Overland Park, and really all of Johnson County, are safe. I've lived in northern (older) Johnson County for years without issue. There is a glut of apartments around 75th and Quivira that have had some problems, or at least they seemed to have a lot of shady characters when I lived nearby several years ago. If you choose Mission, don't move into the Falls Apartments.

I really can't help you with Platte and Clay counties in Missouri (north of downtown), but they will be closing Hwy. 169 (Broadway Extension) this week, and again next spring for long term repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City