Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2011, 07:49 AM

5 posts, read 9,886 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are moving to KC soon. Working at St Lukes main hospital downtown. Where should we live? Parkville, Overland Park etc? We have a young baby so we want to be sure we are in a great school district. We also don't want the commute to be much over 20-25 minutes. Any thoughts or suggestions? We are probably looking in the 700K range for home pricing. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 08:02 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,473,144 times
I'd live in Fairway or Mission Hills, great homes in that area and a very close commute. I would also consider Brookside or the Country Club plaza, you can buy homes for much less then 700k, you could then send your baby to Pembroke Hills or some other great Private school in the area. I also think a lot of the doctors at this particular st lukes live in all these area i have mentioned.

I would also consider BriarCliff up near Parkville.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:28 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,695,397 times
I agree with everything brew just said, with the caveat that you have to like old homes (which I do!)

You really can't go wrong with Brookside -- it's insanely family friendly, is walkable, safe, clean and the housing stock is gorgeous, but as mentioned, because it's in the Kansas City school district, you'll need to look at private school options. There's also a magnet school right in Brookside called Border Star Montessori that a lot of folks send their kids to -- you'll have plenty of time to look into the details if that's something that interests you.

An example of a few homes well below your budget in Brookside:

Real Estate (http://www.mlsfinder.com/moks_hl/kw_139/index.cfm?action=listing_detail&property_id=173093 6&searchkey=409ffdb3-db87-1814-807d-bdd529352e65&npp=8&sr=1 - broken link)

Real Estate (http://www.mlsfinder.com/moks_hl/kw_139/index.cfm?action=listing_detail&property_id=172675 1&searchkey=409ffdb3-db87-1814-807d-bdd529352e65&npp=8&sr=1 - broken link)

Real Estate (http://www.mlsfinder.com/moks_hl/kw_139/index.cfm?action=listing_detail&property_id=173290 7&searchkey=409ffdb3-db87-1814-807d-bdd529352e65&npp=8&sr=9 - broken link)

Old 10-26-2011, 08:35 AM

5 posts, read 9,886 times
Thanks for the advice. I would say we'd want a newer home that needs very little work. We've done the older home route and don't really want to do it again.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:44 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,973,358 times
I would agree with all these. If you want a new home, I would look at Leawood near 435 and Mission like Mission Farms, that would be new construction very close to the plaza (where St Lukes is) via State Line Road and Ward Parkway. Briarcliff would be good too for high end new construction, but the commute may be less predictable with having to cross the river and get through downtown/midtown. Don't overlook Brookside-Fairway though, you will find some modern infill/teardowns in those areas.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:03 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,323,324 times
I live in Prairie Village and used to work at Saint Luke's. It's a quick drive through Mission Hills (Tomahawk) to Ward Parkway, then down Ward Parkway through the Plaza and you're there. $700,000 range for home - I'd look in the area around Franklin Park, Town and Country Estates or homes between Somerset and Nall/83rd and 87th Terrace-ish.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:40 AM

29,981 posts, read 43,017,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugal View Post
Hi, we are moving to KC soon. Working at St Lukes main hospital downtown. Where should we live? Parkville, Overland Park etc? We have a young baby so we want to be sure we are in a great school district. We also don't want the commute to be much over 20-25 minutes. Any thoughts or suggestions? We are probably looking in the 700K range for home pricing. Thanks!
St. Lukes main hospital is on the North edge of the Plaza (Approx 41st & Wornall), not downtown. A great school district with a short commute would place on the Kansas side of the state line in Prairie Village, Mission Hills, Westwood Hills, and Fairway. The school district is Shawnee Mission.

You can get a significant amount of house for $700K in those areas and very nice for $350K and up. Feel free to send me a PM if you would like a referral to a highly qualified Realtor for those areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugal View Post
Thanks for the advice. I would say we'd want a newer home that needs very little work. We've done the older home route and don't really want to do it again.
There are some newer homes in the area where older homes have been torn down and replaced. In that price range the most have likely been well maintained and newer homes are often of lesser quality when it comes to the materials and builders out South. Check out Leawood as well for newer homes but try to stay East of Nall and North of 135th for your desired commute time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City