Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:48 AM

16 posts, read 51,180 times

Advertisements

I am planning to relocate from Michigan to Kansas City,Kansas as I have heard some great things about Johnson County. I am looking for great schools and upscale area to live in.Any suggestions...overland park, shwanee,olathe...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 12:57 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,501,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schhajlani View Post
I am planning to relocate from Michigan to Kansas City,Kansas as I have heard some great things about Johnson County. I am looking for great schools and upscale area to live in.Any suggestions...overland park, shwanee,olathe...
First of all, don't ever refer to JoCo as KCK, it simply isn't done!

Just teasing you. (Although we are often called snobby) Welcome! I've lived in Johnson County for almost 20 years. Most of the area is very nice and you will find everything from quaint starter homes to multimillion dollar mansions.

There are 4 school districts: Shawnee Mission, Blue Valley, Olathe and Desoto. All have very good reputations with BV and SM being the top two.

We are currently house hunting and I have limited my search to SM East and BV North high school areas because I feel these are the two best high schools for my kids. But you really can't go wrong in either district. We are currently in the Desoto district and like it as well. I don't care for the city of Olathe, but parts of Overland Park and Lenexa are in the Olathe school district, which is okay.

If you can tell me what you are looking for in terms of schools, neighbohood, houses, I might be better able to make a recommendation. There are also nice areas on the Missouri side of the metro. I prefer JoCo, but again it depends on what you're looking for.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:25 PM

Thanks Samantha. I have two kids in elementary school,one is gifted and talented and older one has autism.So looking for great Special Education Services and gifted program for my younger one. It will be difficult to sell this house of mine in Michigan but I am planning to settle in a upscale and family friendly neighborhood.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:27 PM

I have heard that the BV special ed services leave a little to be desired, but I have no experience with that district myself. I also have a friend who moved to the Olathe district and has been very pleased with their special ed services (she has a boy with autism). I would guess that SM schools and Desoto have good programs (I know SM has good gifted/accelerated programs) but hopefully others with more experience will chime in.

You will find upscale and family friendly neighborhoods in any of the districts. If I were you, I would do some checking up on the schools first, then look for a house once you've chosen a district. All of the districts in JoCo have websites with contact information that should get you started.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:31 PM

You may want to ask that this thread be moved to the Kansas City forum near your other one. You will get more responses.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:05 PM

7 posts, read 37,485 times
From my perspective, I disagree with Samantha...sorry! After raising 3 kids in the Blue Valley school district -- one of whom went through many learning disabilities' programs, they are AWEsome. Also, although numbers from different sources can contain different variables (apples to oranges), can be diffficult to discern. My youngest was mainstreamed and eventually came out of the "LD" classes as well as utilizing the "Advanced" programs (sounds like a misnomer!) and graduated very well in his class. Johnson County, overall, offers wonderful 'bedroom communities' for raising a family. I've heard that many singles don't really care for what is offered; however, even that has improved in the past 5 years. No place in Kansas City is very far away because of the wonderful highway systems and boulevards through the city. For sports, entertainment, education...wherever your interests are, JoCo and Metro have it all. You simply can't go wrong. And, as Samantha said, NEVER mix KCK and JoCo or even Missouri counties -- you'll get looks that can maim! [Said somewhat tongue-in-cheek!] Enjoy your search!

Old 04-09-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitchellHomes View Post
From my perspective, I disagree with Samantha...sorry! After raising 3 kids in the Blue Valley school district -- one of whom went through many learning disabilities' programs, they are AWEsome.
Don't apologize! You have actual experience, I only have here-say. Glad to know your experience in BV was a positive one!

Old 04-11-2009, 11:34 PM

328 posts, read 1,396,405 times
Default Where are you from in MI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schhajlani View Post
Where are you from in Michigan? As someone who grew up in Wayne County and lived in Johnson County for 1.5 years, I think I could fill you in a few things, as a native Michigander. If you are from Metro Detroit, this will make sense!

Johnson County is like Oakland County, except more affordable. It is seen as the premiere place to raise a family, is a total suburban atmosphere, and has excellent public schools. It is cheaper then Oakland County, since cost of living in Kansas is less then Michigan. A house that would sell for 600,000 in Bloomfield Hills would only cost 300,000, simply because it is Kansas and a much smaller metro area then Detroit.

Kansas City (the whole metro area) is JUST as segregated and territorial as Detroit. Johnson County is Oakland County, Wyandotte County (where Kansas City, KS) is Wayne County. People in KCK don't like people from JOCO and vice-versa. Also, people in Missouri and Kansas tend not to mix well...there tends to be big border wars between the two (I lived in Kansas and my then boyfriend at the time lived in Missouri, so trust me, we had a lot of talks about this). It also doesn't help that there is an intense rivalry between KU and Mizzou, similar to Michigan vs. Michigan State and Western Michigan vs. Central Michigan.

Would I live in Overland Park again? Absolutely not (as a single gay man, it's not the best option for me, LOL). Is it a great place to raise a family? Absolutely. Affordable (compared to Metro Detroit and my current locale of Chicago), great schools, and all the things that go along with it. You will find, however, that Johnson County is a LOT more religious then people in SE Michigan area, so people will discuss religion/ask about church more then you were used to in MI.

Good luck, enjoy KS!

Last edited by alwaystraveling25; 04-11-2009 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: Made an error

Old 04-12-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaystraveling25 View Post
Where are you from in Michigan? As someone who grew up in Wayne County and lived in Johnson County for 1.5 years, I think I could fill you in a few things, as a native Michigander. If you are from Metro Detroit, this will make sense!

Johnson County is like Oakland County, except more affordable. It is seen as the premiere place to raise a family, is a total suburban atmosphere, and has excellent public schools. It is cheaper then Oakland County, since cost of living in Kansas is less then Michigan. A house that would sell for 600,000 in Bloomfield Hills would only cost 300,000, simply because it is Kansas and a much smaller metro area then Detroit.

Kansas City (the whole metro area) is JUST as segregated and territorial as Detroit. Johnson County is Oakland County, Wyandotte County (where Kansas City, KS) is Wayne County. People in KCK don't like people from JOCO and vice-versa. Also, people in Missouri and Kansas tend not to mix well...there tends to be big border wars between the two (I lived in Kansas and my then boyfriend at the time lived in Missouri, so trust me, we had a lot of talks about this). It also doesn't help that there is an intense rivalry between KU and Mizzou, similar to Michigan vs. Michigan State and Western Michigan vs. Central Michigan.

Would I live in Overland Park again? Absolutely not (as a single gay man, it's not the best option for me, LOL). Is it a great place to raise a family? Absolutely. Affordable (compared to Metro Detroit and my current locale of Chicago), great schools, and all the things that go along with it. You will find, however, that Johnson County is a LOT more religious then people in SE Michigan area, so people will discuss religion/ask about church more then you were used to in MI.

Good luck, enjoy KS!
Good assessment

Old 04-15-2009, 05:12 AM

Thanks alwaystraveling25. The comparsion helps a lot. I am a big fan of oakland county, michigan so JoCo will be great.Also, I will be careful when to open my mouth when I am talking about boundaries.
Great info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City