Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 05:00 PM
sev sev started this thread

14 posts, read 58,832 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I may be moving to the South KCMO area for work (near 71 & 435) and I am interested in some areas that are not too far away and are thought of as 'up and coming ' and improving. Utimately, I would like to buy a fixer for and be able to put some sweat equity into it and make a profit.

My wife and kids will be staying in California, so I am not overly concerned about schools or some crime, as long as they are improving.

I've read about Brookside here and it sounds interesting to me. Would you consider it to be a neighborhood that is improving or declining? Also, any other neighborhoods that I should look into, or streets that I should not look north/south of or east of?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 05:50 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,806,749 times
Sounds like you're basically looking for hoods that are underpriced or hoods that have homes that could be flipped higher if rehabbed. Brookside tends to have homes that are already remodeled but is worth checking into as some may not be. UMKC to W Gregory area next door is something to check out as there are a lot of cute bungalows. Or maybe Waldo (75th/Wornall 1 mile radius), but Waldo doesn't really have a momentum - though they have a Trader Joes nearby and people will actually move in that area because of it.

The housing market isn't expected to return for a while but it seems to have bottomed out and some older areas that are moving forward from the doldrums are W of downtown - 19th/Summit area, Longfellow just E of Crown Center, around 27th/Holmes. Parkville and Riverside just N of downtown might be already relatively hotter as in not an opportunity to flip for higher but there might be some fixer uppers. Maybe even Columbus Park, E of City Market if you want a challenge - not sure how ambitious you're considering.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:00 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,676 times
I would look for any fixer uppers in the 64108, 64111, 64112, 64113, 64114 and certain parts of 64110 zipcodes. If you fixed the house up in any of these zipcodes you could easily rent the house out to college aged people if you didn't want to sell

Old 12-08-2011, 08:09 PM

Thanks, this will help me to start researching.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:10 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
This would be VERY close and it's only 20k (zillow says it's worth 66k and it sold in 2006 for 120k). Not sure how in the world you could wrong here. It would be like buying a mid range car. I wouldn't call this area ghetto, just down on its luck and it may have bottomed out long ago and has nowhere to go but up especially when the bannister mall redevelopment breaks ground, which I think should happen in the next year. Regardless, 20k? You would probably easily make something off this house pretty quickly and something like this would fit your needs (one person, don't care about schools, can deal with "some" crime issues etc). It's not like the houses around it are all 20k, homes go for 90k and up in the area. Only been on market for four days. Somebody will snatch that up quickly. Actually, if I lived in KC still, I would probably go look at that house myself and see just why it's priced so freaking low. That would be a great investment property so long as the house isn't on a sink hole or something.

5404 E 97th St, Kansas City, MO 64137 MLS# 1756897 - Zillow

Last edited by kcmo; 12-09-2011 at 12:25 PM..

Old 12-09-2011, 05:32 PM

82 posts, read 174,521 times
The house on East 97th may be a good deal, but its location is not an "up and coming" neighborhood.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:13 AM

It seems like it would be hard to go wrong with a house for $20K. Considering that if I don't buy a place, I would have to rent, and that would probably be at least $500 month.

Makes you wonder why it is so cheap. I guess if you can buy a property that is that far below the comps, then it does not matter too much if the neighborhood is up and coming.

I'm not sure that it would even be possible to get a $20k mortgage, but if you did get one at 5% interest, that would be $107 month. LOL. I pay more for my 10x12 storage unit.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:21 PM

Recent article on the area Cities moving beyond segregation

Old 12-23-2011, 11:39 AM

27 posts, read 55,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sev View Post
Recent article on the area Cities moving beyond segregation
great article sev, reading this and it helps me a lot. thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City