Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 10:08 AM

5 posts, read 12,645 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Kansas City this coming June from PA. I really don't know anyone from KC and this will be my first move away from home. I just wanted to gather a list from either people that have lived in KC awhile or have recently moved to KC not knowing anyone as well. What clubs/organizations did you join, how did you meet a majority of your friends. Is there any recommendations you could provide that could assist me in getting more comfortable in KC. I am single, 22 years old and bringing nothing but myself to the city. Thank you everyone in advance for your continued help on this website!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 10:16 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
I would start attending a church with an active young adult ministry. It's an excellent way to meet nice people. Even if you are not seriously religious, many, if not most, of their activities will be non-church oriented.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:17 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,804,424 times
^That was a big assumption that almost comes across as proselytizing. KC is actually below US average with religious identity. The OP is asking responses from those who have recently moved here.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:27 AM

I'm basing my suggestion on what I did when I moved to Oklahoma City and literally did not know one person there. I got involved with a church down there and met really nice people.

OP asked for suggestions. I gave one. They can consider it or not as they see fit.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:47 AM

Fair enough. Maybe the poster should describe interests.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:41 AM

5 posts, read 12,645 times
I appreciate the suggestions and am open to any and all, religious or not. I really enjoy going out on the weekends to bars and night clubs. Also am really into recreational sports teams. I am definitely interested in skiing but i'm not sure how much skiing will be going on during the summer time. Thank you everyone!

Old 03-07-2012, 11:48 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
I'd look at both Meetup.com and Kansas City Sport & Social Club - Kansas City's leader in adult recreational sports - Home

FWIW, I've formed most of my social group around work happy hours.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:00 PM

You'll be making weekend trips to CO for skiing but if you need a winter quick fix, there is a slope up in Westin MO (Snow Creek) that uses a snow machine when needed - isn't much but can get your fix.

Do you mean organized sports to join or groups who get together, like disc golf or something. Is easy enough to google 'kansas city whateversport' for gatherings and organized sports.

I think the bar areas were covered in your other thread. Here's a restaurant thread...
//www.city-data.com/forum/kansa...laces-eat.html

If you want to get involved with the City, there's an initiative in KCMO to get young professionals involved.

Can start with this...
KCMOmentum by MindMixer

I've gotten involved with several community committees over the years but most was through a person I knew who has connections - ranging from a shelter for battered/homeless women to Jazz Ambassadors to a transit committee. I can provide her contact info as she loves to hook up young professionals with community activities - she's hooked into pretty much anything seeking volunteers and is closely tied to movers/shakers in town. PM me if interested in specifically getting involved with some community activity.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:23 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Snow Creek is not bad at all. It's comparable to the close stuff to DC and Philly which also make most of their own snow.

Colorado is amazing compared to anything out east and it's doable on a long weekend. We used to go to CO at least twice a year (summer / winter) while in KC.

KC also has a very active mountain biking community and some of the best single track trails in the midwest.

ERTA - Earn Your Dirt!

KC also has an active disc golf community with some great courses.

KCFDC Forum - Index

You will meet lots of active people in both of those activities.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:52 PM

If you are into skiing, you will definitely want to check out the KC Ski Club:

Kansas City Ski Club

Lots of trips and plenty of socializing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: