Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2012, 04:41 PM

267 posts, read 619,007 times

Advertisements

Wishing I could have worked from home, but that wouldn't work. Was stuck for 45 minutes on Bannister in part because a bus was blocking 2 of the 3 lanes, plus every other car including mine was stalling. Everyone's car took 4 guys pushing it up the hill, and there were likely 1-2 hour delays behind me. Also got stuck for 15 minutes on College Blvd uphill, luckily there was a flat parking lot I could pull into. A normal 30 minute commute took two hours. Boss got into accident, didn't come in today.

I think I shall get a car with 4WD. My car handled the cold snowy winters before, wondering why it sucked so bad today.

Anyone else have any crazy things happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 04:56 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,983,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
Wishing I could have worked from home, but that wouldn't work. Was stuck for 45 minutes on Bannister in part because a bus was blocking 2 of the 3 lanes, plus every other car including mine was stalling. Everyone's car took 4 guys pushing it up the hill, and there were likely 1-2 hour delays behind me. Also got stuck for 15 minutes on College Blvd uphill, luckily there was a flat parking lot I could pull into. A normal 30 minute commute took two hours. Boss got into accident, didn't come in today.

I think I shall get a car with 4WD. My car handled the cold snowy winters before, wondering why it sucked so bad today.

All is well with me. It's nice to see the snow to welcome us into winter.

Perhaps you need new tires?

Old 12-20-2012, 05:46 PM

26,429 posts, read 46,607,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post

I recommend the prior suggestion on checking your tires. Make sure the PSI is inflated to the recommend standard on the sticker inside your driver side door.

It is likely poor pretreatment of roads given fast drops in temperatures. KC is notorious for underestimating the amount of sand or salt to put on roads in advance of winter precip events that feature quick drops in temperature in a relatively short period of time.

I would not recommend a 4WD. That = bad gas mileage unless you really need it for towing or farm uses.
I WOULD recommend a Subaru. Mine gets a bit over 30mpg with AWD and it goes through snow like a 4 door snowmobile. I went to work today with no problem and we had well over 12 inches of snowfall, but roads were plowed down to an inch or two with the exception of side roads that still had a very high amount of snow. It performed very well overall and I barely slid on the roads at all.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:49 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,808,812 times
Am in Florida at moment but friends say only a couple inches with high winds and some ice. Blizzard sounds a bit dramatic.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:33 PM

26,429 posts, read 46,607,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Am in Florida at moment but friends say only a couple inches with high winds and some ice. Blizzard sounds a bit dramatic.
A blizzard occurred in Madison. (started at 10PM last night and still snowing now) We had a long duration snow event with 12-16 inches with wind gusts of over 40mph. A classic textbook blizzard event, but only the first major storm of the season so far. I checked the medium to longer range models and unfortauntely the dry pattern looks to continue overall for the Central Plains. That is very bad news for agriculture.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:59 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,002,796 times
That wasnt a blizzard. We didnt get an inch. The only reason it was bad was the layer of ice under the snow.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:57 PM

6,820 posts, read 11,553,688 times
Agree it was the ice layer below the not-very-much snow that caused the problems. Walking on my driveway was like taking my life in my hands.

I wasn't real impressed with MDOT's treatment of exit and entrance ramps this time. 152 at Ambassador Dr. (Platte County) was horrible this a.m.

The first snow of the season is always the worst. We'll do better next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: