Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 01:11 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
That's not what you said though before. You said KC has nothing in common with ANY of the Midwest, which is a blatant lie. I already agreed that KC's weather is not like that of the Upper Midwest, but the Lower Midwest does have four very distinct seasons. Summers in the Upper Midwest are about the same degree of severity as winters in the lower Midwest. I don't care about the daytime angles/etc. You also seem to be trying to discount the Lower Midwest as even being part of the Midwest. The Lower Midwest is just as much a part of the Midwest as the Upper Midwest. In addition, winters in the Upper Midwest tend to be much more severe than even the Central Midwest. I agree that KC's winters are not the same as a place like Des Moines or Omaha, but they are definitely not what I would call mild like the South. More on the moderate side. At the same token, Des Moines and Omaha's winters aren't the same as Cleveland or Minneapolis. KC is culturally, linguistically, and demographically a Midwestern city.
Yeah, I wish we didn't have 4 distinct seasons. I could do without winter. But alas, we do. KC is about to get clobbered again! Cancelled a soccer tournament my son was supposed to play in this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 05:57 PM

155 posts, read 278,736 times
I am no longer in Kansas City and am so glad after hearing about this storm.
where I live on the Ozarks we are getting rain

Im keeping you all in my thoughts. stay safe and warm.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:22 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
But not as close to that periphery as Cleveland, Detroit and Cincinnati...
All are near the periphery so that would be obvious. The city that most closely resembles KC out of those three is Cincinnati for obvious reasons.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:45 AM

886 posts, read 2,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Yeah, there are four seasons in KC, but they ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT than the REAL MIDWEST.

They even have different names that are more "sunbelty/southern" like: Binter, Bring, Bummer and Ball. Seriously.

THERE ARE NO SIMLIARITIES between weather in Kansas City and the regions immediately abutting it. No matter what the Koppen Climate Classifications would lead you to believe:

PLEASE BELIEVE ME!!!!!!
I've lived in KC forever... I've never once heard Binter, Bring, Bummer, and Ball? WTF.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:47 AM

886 posts, read 2,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
What's funny to me (I'm a teacher) is that all the state line area school districts called a snow day the night before, before a shred of snow had even fallen.

Where I'm from (upper midwest, MUCH more regular snowfall of substance), you typically do NOT call a snow day unless it is actively snowing, and they really typically don't get called the night before based on the weight of predictions alone. But, then, those regions are more practiced at removal. Not that it was a bad thing to have school cancelled today, but it's so foreign to me, still, after five years here, to be somewhere where snow days area called preemptively.
This is also interesting to me, I was in NYC when there was a blizzard there early Feb. They cancelled everything nearly 48 befores the Blizzard. My flight was postponed for 3 days over 30 hours before any snow fell.... so... depends the area? But NYC I thought was cancelling things WAY to soon.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:47 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I believe that post (quoted in #34) was made to sarcastically chide somebody.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:52 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
This is also interesting to me, I was in NYC when there was a blizzard there early Feb. They cancelled everything nearly 48 befores the Blizzard. My flight was postponed for 3 days over 30 hours before any snow fell.... so... depends the area? But NYC I thought was cancelling things WAY to soon.
They did the same thing in NYC when I was there for Christmas of, I believe, 2010...the year of the huge blizzard that started the day after Christmas and paralyzed the city.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:36 AM

654 posts, read 630,160 times
Yeah, but the weather should be fine from here on out. KC warms up nicely in the spring, unlike the eastern part of the Midwest that has to deal with the cold wind that comes off the Great Lakes and Hudson Bay which don't really warm up until June. KC should have pretty nice weather from about now until the end of June, which is when the oppressive heat will start up.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:47 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
Yeah, but the weather should be fine from here on out. KC warms up nicely in the spring, unlike the eastern part of the Midwest that has to deal with the cold wind that comes off the Great Lakes and Hudson Bay which don't really warm up until June. KC should have pretty nice weather from about now until the end of June, which is when the oppressive heat will start up.
Whoa.....plenty of time for one more snow!! Fortunately, our March snows are the heavy, wet ones and are gone in a day or so.

Back in the days when I had snow tires on my car, I NEVER took them off before March 20th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City