Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 15,774 times

Advertisements

My military husband and I will be moving from the East coast to the Ft. Leavenworth area this summer for one year of ILE. I have never even been anywhere in the Midwest, so I have no idea what to expect. What are the best areas, towns, subdivisions, etc. to live in?

We don’t have any kids, so school district is not important. We do have two large dogs, so apartment living would not be that great. Currently, we live in a new construction 2400 sq ft. home with hardwood, granite countertops, etc., and would like something similar or a little smaller. An old house with character would be ok, too, if it’s in a safe area.

We’re both originally from big cities, so we want to be able to stay within a reasonable drive to Kansas City but close enough for a short commute to Fort Leavenworth. Maybe this is too much to ask, but is there any area in between those places that is popular with young professionals and perhaps pedestrian friendly (restaurants within walking distance, etc.)?

In short:

What are the best neighborhoods for newer, medium-sized houses in a nice, clean, and safe subdivision?
What are the best areas for young professionals?

Any input and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 01:29 PM

12,880 posts, read 13,544,694 times
I would probably look at Basehor,Piper, or Quivera Lake. Most of that area is very accessible to Leavenworth and KC. Even as far south as Shawnee. Most of the Shopping is in Johnson Co.
Highway 73 & 7 hook up nicely to the turn pike and 435. I once drove from Leventhworth to the River front park in KCMO in around 20 minutes, that's just about across town.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:58 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,119,173 times
I agree with the Shawnee area. There are lots of newer houses on both sides of 7 Highway. I like the area along 7 Highway between Johnson Drive all the way to Prairie Star Parkway or 10 Highway, but that might be more of a commute than you want.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:33 AM

6,768 posts, read 11,396,828 times
Before commiting to anything that would take you up K-7 to the Fort, I'd investigate the commute. I believe (and I readily admit I may not know what I'm talking about....) that once you get into Lansing, it's quite a slog during "rush hour" to get all the way up to FTL, which is at the north end of the city of Leavenworth.

Hopefully someone with real-life experience with this can chime in. I used to visit quite a bit at the VA Hospital (on weekends) and it seems like Leavenworth is just stop light after stop light.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:28 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,132,582 times
I know a guy who commutes to the Fort from western KCK and he often crosses the river into MO then cuts back across into Leavenworth to avoid the traffic on K7.

I would look hard at the Northland KC, Parkville and other Missouri side Platte Co. suburbs, all of which provide the kind of housing you are talking about, better or comparable suburban amenities/shopping, better proximity to the city, and quite possibly a better or at least comparable commute to western JoCo.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:00 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,473,921 times
It's been newly 20 years since I left Fort Leavenworth. While stationed there, I resided in Platte City. I found it to be a pleasant little town that offered an easy commute to Leavenworth with easy access to the KC Northland.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:48 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,696,479 times
If you ask me, coming from a large city you will find Basehor, Piper etc to be very country and redneck type areas. You may like that kind of thing, but the areas between Leavenworth and KCK just have a bizarre feel to them.

If you want an area that is more suburban (vs small town meets country meets the south) then I would look at the I-29 corridor south of Platte City. Even Platte City is has a more metropolitan suburban feel to it than most of Leavenowrth and Wyandotte County. I would look at Platte County Missouri or if you want to stay in Kansas check out Western Shawnee or Western Lenexa which have a similar white collar suburban feel.

Just know that the area of metro KC around the speedway and up around Leavenworth is not really representative of suburban KC and that urban KCMO is a basically a different world when compared to those areas.

It's like going out to rural PA or parts of Jersey yet being only minutes from Philly. Those areas of the Philly area are nothing like most other suburban areas of Philly yet they are often closer to the actual city.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:15 AM

5 posts, read 35,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I would probably look at Basehor,Piper, or Quivera Lake. Most of that area is very accessible to Leavenworth and KC. Even as far south as Shawnee. Most of the Shopping is in Johnson Co.
Highway 73 & 7 hook up nicely to the turn pike and 435. I once drove from Leventhworth to the River front park in KCMO in around 20 minutes, that's just about across town.
Was this drive in the evening/ weekend? Or is there less traffic in kc overall? I'm thinking about living in dtkc mo and commuting to ft Leavenworth when I move in dec. I'm used to traffic living in San Antonio/Austin Texas.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:56 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,696,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasgrl512 View Post
Was this drive in the evening/ weekend? Or is there less traffic in kc overall? I'm thinking about living in dtkc mo and commuting to ft Leavenworth when I move in dec. I'm used to traffic living in San Antonio/Austin Texas.

Parts of metro KC get pretty busy and even congested, but there is like no traffic in that part of the metro. Actually the freeways are way overbuilt for the traffic they carry in Wyandotte County and Leavenworth County. You have to take the interstate down to one lane with construction to even create minimal delays.

You will have no problems reverse commuting from Downtown out to Leavenworth. Just figure the miles and the speed limit and do the math with no delays and remember the speed limits in some parts of outer kc like out by the speedway are 70mph.

KC doesn't have anything like 35 in Austin. But Austin doesn't have near as many freeways. The entire city is built along 35. KC has many through freeways and many beltways.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 PM

5 posts, read 35,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Parts of metro KC get pretty busy and even congested, but there is like no traffic in that part of the metro. Actually the freeways are way overbuilt for the traffic they carry in Wyandotte County and Leavenworth County. You have to take the interstate down to one lane with construction to even create minimal delays.

You will have no problems reverse commuting from Downtown out to Leavenworth. Just figure the miles and the speed limit and do the math with no delays and remember the speed limits in some parts of outer kc like out by the speedway are 70mph.

KC doesn't have anything like 35 in Austin. But Austin doesn't have near as many freeways. The entire city is built along 35. KC has many through freeways and many beltways.
Thank you for the commute insight. I was thinking if living in dtkc or the zona rosa area. I'm single, late 20's, like outdoors, nightlife, good shopping, and outdoor activities. What would you recommend, dt or zona rosa area? I'm used to city life so I don't want to live in any small towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City