Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 10:00 AM

4 posts, read 7,746 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to KC from the Cleveland area, to work at the opera house and study at UMKC -
I know it's on the Kansas side, but does anyone know anything about the Waterstone Apartments? i.e. - is it nice, safe, etc?
Any recommendations for SAFE, $800 max, apartment complexes? Looking for good location with easy access to downtown and UMKC/plaza area.
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 11:16 AM

40 posts, read 70,289 times
I'd look at Plaza Apartment Center: Plaza Apartment Center | Country Club Plaza apartments rent, lease

They own a lot of older buildings on the plaza, and their studios start in the range of $625 a month. Can't beat the location, and if you're into the art deco style architecture, then any of their buildings would be a great place to live! Only thing I know if you won't get is in-unit laundry.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:27 AM

709 posts, read 1,493,563 times
I knew someone who lived in that complex who also went to the UMKC Conservatory (I assume you're going to the Conservatory). I don't remember him having any particular complaints (this was around 10 years ago though, so it could have changed management).

Is it safe? I would think so. Is it nice? That's a matter of opinion. It is a typical newer cheap construction sprawling suburban style complex. In my opinion, it's not nice.

Personally, I wouldn't choose to live in that location, especially if you're going to UMKC and working at the Kauffman Center. I would live near campus, near the Crossroads, or anywhere in between. Not only would you cut down commuting, but you would also be living among more of your peers (University students, musicians, artists, etc) and nearer more amenities and culture.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:15 PM

I'm having trouble finding a 2 bedroom in my price range ($800 max) in that Plaza/UMKC and downtown area that don't have weird 'student restrictions.' Perhaps I'm being unrealistic, and that's why I was looking for something with only a short commute. I've dealt with that since I've been in grad school, and it isn't too much of a bother.
The Plaza Apartment Center looks amazing, but is a little outside what I want to pay. Any other suggestions? And thanks for the opinions and ideas!

Old 05-01-2013, 04:34 PM

709 posts, read 1,493,563 times
Hmmm.... I haven't heard of apartments having student restrictions - maybe that's a new thing.

There should be a pretty decent selection of 2 bedrooms for $800 (do you have a roommate and require the second bedroom? If not, you would have many more options for 1 bedrooms).

Where are you looking? I think Craigslist is a generally better tool than apartment search websites, particularly for smaller apartments and duplexes that tend to be lower priced.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:15 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,983,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srgmezzo View Post
I'm moving to KC from the Cleveland area, to work at the opera house and study at UMKC -
I know it's on the Kansas side, but does anyone know anything about the Waterstone Apartments? i.e. - is it nice, safe, etc?
Any recommendations for SAFE, $800 max, apartment complexes? Looking for good location with easy access to downtown and UMKC/plaza area.
Thanks!
That area is nice and safe. It's kind of nice-average, if you will. It's the Roeland Park area, but some of the apartment complexes are on the north side of 47th or County Line, which puts you in the city of Kansas City. If you want a more upscale suburban locale close to UMKC and with easy access to the urban core and within your price range, you might check out the Cornith apartment complex in Prairie Village. I wouldn't rule out any area of Johnson County close to the city though (Roeland Park, Prairie Village, Mission, Overland Park, maybe Merriam. But you should be able to find something in your price range actually in the city, if you want. However, there has been talk over the last year of a rental crisis (very high occupancy rates), especially downtown.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
Hmmm.... I haven't heard of apartments having student restrictions - maybe that's a new thing.

There should be a pretty decent selection of 2 bedrooms for $800 (do you have a roommate and require the second bedroom? If not, you would have many more options for 1 bedrooms).

Where are you looking? I think Craigslist is a generally better tool than apartment search websites, particularly for smaller apartments and duplexes that tend to be lower priced.

A lot of the loft-style buildings downtown that are newly renovated with lower rent costs have a 'no full time student' policy - which is crappy for me, because I'm also a full time employee and have sufficient means to pay a rent. They have a specific tax break or something like that because they want to keep their housing affordable. It was very strange to me.

I will be needing the second bedroom, yes.

I've looked pretty much everywhere. I'd like to stay in Missouri. I have found something interesting in Westport on Craigslist, but it is an older building with a lot of square footage, right at the top of my budget. I was concerned about the electric bill (the only utility payment) being high - hard to heat/hard to cool, etc.

I'm also used to parking being an issue in Cleveland - my roommate and I will each have a car and we need a building or location that has adequate parking, preferably free. There is almost nothing that frustrates me more than not being able to park my car in a decent location.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
That area is nice and safe. It's kind of nice-average, if you will. It's the Roeland Park area, but some of the apartment complexes are on the north side of 47th or County Line, which puts you in the city of Kansas City. If you want a more upscale suburban locale close to UMKC and with easy access to the urban core and within your price range, you might check out the Cornith apartment complex in Prairie Village. I wouldn't rule out any area of Johnson County close to the city though (Roeland Park, Prairie Village, Mission, Overland Park, maybe Merriam. But you should be able to find something in your price range actually in the city, if you want. However, there has been talk over the last year of a rental crisis (very high occupancy rates), especially downtown.
Thanks! I've requested more info on the Corinth properties.
Ideally, I'd like to be in Missouri and more in the Plaza area, but it doesn't really seem to be working out for me. I think I'm too picky!

Old 05-02-2013, 08:57 AM

6,820 posts, read 11,553,688 times
Quote:
A lot of the loft-style buildings downtown that are newly renovated with lower rent costs have a 'no full time student' policy - which is crappy for me, because I'm also a full time employee and have sufficient means to pay a rent.
If you have a full time job and can pay the rent, do you even need to tell them you're a student???

Old 05-02-2013, 04:52 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,983,847 times
Quote:
Thanks! I've requested more info on the Corinth properties.
Ideally, I'd like to be in Missouri and more in the Plaza area, but it doesn't really seem to be working out for me. I think I'm too picky!
Try harder. You should be able to get into the city. Another person's "Plaza Apartment Center" recommendation is an excellent one, but those buildings keep a very high occupancy rate. You should try Dunleith Towers, Craigslist, or anything you come across. Don't avoid looking at rentals in the Art Institute or museum area, it's just across the way from UMKC and right off the Plaza.

Dunleith Towers Apartment Homes | Apartments for rent in Kansas City MO 64112
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City