Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 05:25 PM

4 posts, read 9,466 times

Advertisements

Hello

we are looking at the possibility of relocating to the Kansas City area and we are looking to maybe move to Smithville MO because we are wanting the small town living. In light of these smart meters being in the media again, I am curious to know if Smithville, MO has the smart meters? You never know in the small towns how updated they are and sometimes, not being up on the latest things can be a plus! :-) Also, can anyone tell me what major landmarks are close to Smithville and what other surrounding cities would be good to look at as well that are the smaller communities.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 08:42 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,709,235 times
What is a smart meter?

Old 07-29-2013, 09:01 AM

5 posts, read 14,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
What is a smart meter?
It's the new meters that monitors your electricity use that they are installing all over the US with the exception of certain states who have banned them. It cuts down on having to have employees to walk house to house reading meters.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:25 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,709,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB67824 View Post
It's the new meters that monitors your electricity use that they are installing all over the US with the exception of certain states who have banned them. It cuts down on having to have employees to walk house to house reading meters.
That's what I thought, but what's the big deal with them? I think that's what we have here. I find it odd to consider something like that when looking at where to live. But I don't know about them I guess.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:45 AM

6,776 posts, read 11,408,854 times
Smithville is served by KCP&L (Kansas City Power and Light) and they definitely have smart meters. If you can go on-line and see your real-time usage, you're on a smart meter, be it gas, electric, water, whatever. kcmo, I think the big concern is that with this technology somehow the utility will use it to ration electricity if you're using too much. I think I have a better chance for energy problems with the increasing regulation of coal-fired power plants than with a smart meter, but I suppose that's a topic for a different thread.

Anyway, OP, Smithville was at one time its own little town but it, like towns like Platte City and Kearney, are slowly being taken over by suburbia. You might also look at Excelsior Springs.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:53 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,238,636 times
Smart meters are a bridge technology as things become ever more efficient over time. That is why the big utilities with their obsolete centralized model hate technology because they know it will eat into their profits. However, they will never build coal again because it is expensive, uses obsolete technology, and the public doesn't want it. We're left with natural gas, renewables, and nuclear. Energy efficiency has shown to mitigate any need for additional base capacity, and growth in wind energy installations have helped in that regard over the last 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City