U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 08:40 PM

13 posts, read 25,622 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I'm thinking of purchasing an inexpensive house in Kansas City and I'm wondering which areas are the safest crime wise and or what areas to avoid? I'm would be moving from Western Canada and would really appreciate someones insight. Please! thanks so much.......Dave...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 10:34 PM

10,994 posts, read 20,625,270 times
Safest, yet most modest, you have lots of options, but you might look at the lower part of the Northland south of Gladstone, just north of the river across from Downtown.

Avoid the East side of KCMO. There are some very detailed thread about where the east side is, so you might just do a search for safe, east side etc.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:48 AM

210 posts, read 381,303 times
Are you looking to live in KC proper or the KC Metro area? The safest part of KC proper is the Northland. Other than that, you'd be very safe in any suburb - pretty much all of Johnson County or east Jackson County (Lee's Summit/Blue Springs).

The only places that are really dangerous are the east side of KC (east of say the Paseo) and the Quindaro area of Kansas City Kansas.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:10 AM

5,763 posts, read 10,079,718 times
I'd highly recommend the Clay County portion of KCMO proper then the Shawnee Mission portion of Johnson County, KS.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:54 AM

180 posts, read 226,677 times
A rapidly growing community about 25 minutes southwest of KC proper on I-35 is Gardner.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:14 PM

15 posts, read 22,813 times
Trust me....until u get a feel for ks city....just move to OVERLAND PARK KANSAS right across the river... avoid MIDTOWN armour blvd area......anythng n kcmo frm independence ave to 63rd street...GRANDVIEW MO is overrated..if u want to stay n missouri do LEES SUMMIT r North of the river (the airport side) not North Kansas City (the run dwn industrial side)...i highly recommend u go to JOHNSON COUNTY KANSAS...overland park.....

Old 10-09-2013, 10:28 AM

377 posts, read 486,460 times
Depends what kind of lifestyle you're after. Do you want suburbia? Dense, walkable urban? Residential surrounded by light urban? Funky, eclectic neighborhood? Artsy? Corporate?

Old 10-09-2013, 12:22 PM

702 posts, read 1,286,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicoco View Post
avoid MIDTOWN armour blvd area......anythng n kcmo frm independence ave to 63rd street.
This is completely off base. Some of the nicest, most upscale areas in the entire metro are in KCMO between Independence and 63rd St (Sunset Hill, Plaza, Brookside, etc).

Have you been to Armour Blvd lately? It is completely changed from how it was 10 or even 5 years ago. Almost all of the buildings have been very nicely renovated and are fetching fairly high dollar rents.

It's tough to answer the question with out some more details (your definition of inexpensive and what you are looking for in a house and neighborhood), but I think Waldo is a nice area to find some low-priced housing.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:24 PM

15 posts, read 22,813 times
Born & raised in k.c......i knw wht im talking abt.....yes the inner city is being rehabbed nevertheless the crime is ridiculous....Independence ave...is skid row basically until u get to 63rd st....im a modern girl ...the waldo area is vintage old school ..I DIDNT MENTION THE PLAZA AREA BC THE AVERAGE PERSON CANNOT AFFORD TO LIVE THERE.......kansas city mo has one of the ABSOLUTE worse school districts in the US...in my opinion until u get a FEEL for the metro areas move to JOHNSON COUNTY KANSAS.....LEES SUMMIT MO.....BLUE SPRINGS MO.....AGAIN FRM I-70 independence ave to 63rd st.....Dnt do it! Armour blvd midtown area IS OFF THE CHAIN DRUG VALLEY....ROUGH!.....MAJORITY OF THE CRIME OCCURS IN THE GANG INFESTED 50s.....e.g. 51st & south benton r 53rd chestnut......THS IS THE REAL DEAL....SORRY......K.C. Is not houston l.a. or n.y. u can commute frm anyplace around the radius of metro k.c......im frm k.c. i knw the hood i knw wht im talking abt....

Old 10-30-2013, 01:40 PM

37,378 posts, read 45,390,117 times
I lived on the Plaza on a teacher's salary...there are affordable, safe places in this part of the city "for the average person," even more so in areas like Waldo. The above post is nonsense, for those not in the know, who might, for whatever reason, be taking that poster seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or