Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 06:41 AM

31 posts, read 55,993 times

Advertisements

Any reasonable grocery stores that you recommend? Also pharmacies etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 01:01 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Between just those two cities (and not talking about the MO and KS sides of the metro), you are talking about an area with a population of well over 600,000 people spread across hundreds of square miles.

I think you are going to have to be a little more specific .

Old 06-25-2014, 01:35 PM

31 posts, read 55,993 times
Hubby on his way out there for work. He left today for job at GM Fairfax. Was just trying to figure out a good grocery that is not sky high on prices as they don't have Kroger out there. lol Not sure when I will be able to follow as have to sell our houses here first. Just trying to find out as much info as I can on the area. He's too proud to ask anyone.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:48 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
KC is dominated by a few chains like all metros are. Price Chopper is the biggest, then probably HyVee and then Hen House. Then they have the typical national chains like Whole Foods, Trader Joes and Walmart (superstores and neighborhoods markets). There are others as well.

Price Chopper is decent, but it can vary wildly by store and area of the metro. HyVee is probably the most consistent no matter where they are.

I think most are decent and you won't have a problem finding one you like nearby.

KC has probably hundreds of the standard national drug chain locations (CVS etc).

Old 06-25-2014, 09:12 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
I shop at Hen House. Some people *think* it is the most expensive, but I don't think it is. Be sure to get a rewards/loyalty card at whatever store you decide to go to because that saves a lot of money. I got turned off by Hy-Vee because the stores were nice in the beginning and then they got really ghetto, at least the ones I was familiar with. Some Price Choppers can be pretty ghetto too and others are nice. They are Cosentino's Price Chopper and Ball's Price Chopper.

I haven't ever been to a Hen House that was ghetto. There may be some, but I don't know of any. Ball's Price Chopper and Hen House are owned by the same people.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:17 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times
Price Chopper is the standard grocery store in the Kansas City area. They have great sales, good prices, and nice, full-sized, full-service stores. For a lot of people Hy-Vee is the standard store. I don't like it though because, while they have great sales at times to lure you on, once you're there the prices on general merchandise are higher. Plus, it's not locally owned and is based out of Iowa. Price Chopper stores have several different local owners, are unionized, and the brand is part of a locally-headquartered coop distributor (Associated Grocers), which is also unionized and a major local employer. The smaller, neighborhood grocery stores, like Apple Market and Thriftway (which are locally-owned and part of the same distributor coop I mentioned), tend to be oriented more toward the bargain-minded and have their own sales. Of course, we have Walmart, Target, Aldi, and Save A Lot grocery stores all over town too. And for more upscale items, Hen House has several locations and there's Cosentino's Market in Brookside. Again, these stores are locally-owned and part of the same coop. Then of course there's Whole Foods (3 locations, all in Johnson County), Trader Joe's (two locations, one in Johnson County, the other across the street from Johnson County), and Fresh Market (one location, at 135th and Metcalf in Overland Park). Several other chains have popped up too, like Natural Grocers and Sprouts, mostly in Johnson County. One store to stay away from if you're concerned about prices, at least the Westport location, is SunFresh. The Westport location has got to be the most expensive grocery store in the metro.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I shop at Hen House. Some people *think* it is the most expensive, but I don't think it is. Be sure to get a rewards/loyalty card at whatever store you decide to go to because that saves a lot of money. I got turned off by Hy-Vee because the stores were nice in the beginning and then they got really ghetto, at least the ones I was familiar with. Some Price Choppers can be pretty ghetto too and others are nice. They are Cosentino's Price Chopper and Ball's Price Chopper.

I haven't ever been to a Hen House that was ghetto. There may be some, but I don't know of any. Ball's Price Chopper and Hen House are owned by the same people.
Yeah, Hen House isn't really expensive. It's an upscale brand and store, so they will have upscale items, but they're not expensive on general merchandise, and they have great sales. There are no ghetto Hen Houses because it's specifically an upscale brand. Hen House stores are the nicest in the metro, except for maybe Cosentino's Market in Brookside, with the Leawood location probably being their flagship store, but some Price Choppers seem to be just as nice. How nice the stores are seems to be reflective of the demographics of the neighborhood, I've noticed, which makes sense. For example, from my experience I know that, even though Hen House is the upscale store/brand, the Price Chopper at 103rd and State Line Rd is nicer than the Hen House on Parallel PKWY in Kansas City, KS. However, the Hen House on Parallel PKWY is, of course, nicer than the nearby Price Chopper at 78th and State Ave. And the Hen House store (Leawood) nearest the 103rd and State Line Price Chopper is a lot nicer than it. So it's kind of all relative, depending on the local demographics. Anyway, I think part of people saying Hen House is particularly expensive is just perception as well as an excuse for not going there for other reasons. This is coming from the perspective of KCK, a very blue-collar and lower-income city, but I know people there who I believe avoid Hen House because it's simply too nice of a store for them. Too upscale. Too much frou-frou stuff they don't care about. Too many other customers that aren't like them, etc., stuff like that.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:25 AM

141 posts, read 257,937 times
I'm pretty sure Aldi is the most reasonable grocery store anywhere, lol. I also like to shop at Sam's Club and I know some like Costco. I've always thought Kroger/Dillons was too expensive. Hyvee is expensive too. Price Chopper, Apple Market, Walmart are alright. I've never even heard of Hen House. Not sure if they still have Food 4 Less here?

Anyway, I was reminded how cheap Aldi is yesterday when I took my teenage son and a friend there to get some snacks. My bill only totaled $6.50 for stuff that would have probably been $20 at Walmart.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:18 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemonkeys View Post
I'm pretty sure Aldi is the most reasonable grocery store anywhere, lol. I also like to shop at Sam's Club and I know some like Costco. I've always thought Kroger/Dillons was too expensive. Hyvee is expensive too. Price Chopper, Apple Market, Walmart are alright. I've never even heard of Hen House. Not sure if they still have Food 4 Less here?

Anyway, I was reminded how cheap Aldi is yesterday when I took my teenage son and a friend there to get some snacks. My bill only totaled $6.50 for stuff that would have probably been $20 at Walmart.
The OP mentioned Kroger and that's what I was thinking - Dillons. Are they still around metro KC? "Kroger" is under different brand names around the country. They're "King Sopers" in Colorado and "Ralphs" in Califorinia. But that's where I used to shop when I went to KU. Just a decent, standard grocery store.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
The OP mentioned Kroger and that's what I was thinking - Dillons. Are they still around metro KC? "Kroger" is under different brand names around the country. They're "King Sopers" in Colorado and "Ralphs" in Califorinia. But that's where I used to shop when I went to KU. Just a decent, standard grocery store.
There are a few Dillon's locations around or at least nearby, in Lawrence and Leavenworth at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemonkeys View Post
....I've never even heard of Hen House....
All of the Hen House locations are on the west side of the metro, in Johnson, Wyandotte, and Platte counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City