U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2014, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Omaha/Lincoln, NE
125 posts, read 127,837 times
Reputation: 95

Advertisements

too bad the downtown airport wasn't a little larger and KC could've had a Midway/Love/Hobby type second airport that is today dominated by Southwest or another low-cost airline
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2014, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
11,010 posts, read 20,844,501 times
Reputation: 6055
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
I am not saying move the airport, but could we please get just a few commercial flights out of Wheeler/Downtown to major hubs so downtown and the city has a more convenient drive to air travel access? Runway 1/19 can more than accommodate regional jets - which are a lot quieter now and would probably conform to noise abatement procedures. Also, you could convert or rehab the old terminal for access...

I would prefer to avoid driving all the way up to KCI altogether, and would prefer to just get to KMKC from which I could get to a major hub like KORD in about an hour.

The Northlands seem extremely sparse to me...granted, in the seven years I have been here the only time I have ever gone to the Northlands was to go to the airport (and one time for a Superbowl party, I think).
Downtown airport could easily accommodate Southwest Jets and it would be awesome to have commercial flights there again. I don't know that it will ever happen, but so long as the city continues to take care of MKC, I think there is a possibility of of scheduled flights there again (some overflow flights from KCI) when there is demand for it. Many large planes use KCI still today. Most charters for the visiting pro ball teams fly in there, air force one still lands there occasionally.

I took this photo during a race weekend at Kansas Speedway:

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2014, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Peoria, AZ
971 posts, read 1,189,869 times
Reputation: 1059
There are trade offs whenever and wherever you decide to locate an airport.

Out here in Phoenix, as I mentioned earlier, the main airport is in the center of the metro area and 3 miles from Downtown.

The advantage is that almost nobody (except in the exurbs) complains that the airport is inconvenient. In fact, it's located within a 40 minute drive of at least 80-90% of the metro area's population. The disadvantage is that it is landlocked, is constantly subjected to noise ordinances and complaints by surrounding neighbors, and it effectively limits the maximum height of buildings in downtown Phoenix. Also, much of Phoenix's general aviation traffic is dispersed between several suburban airfields.

Kansas City and Detroit have the airport located in a similar position to downtown and the core of the suburban sprawl. In Kansas City the majority of the metro area population is South and East of the airport. In Detroit, the majority of the metro area population is North and East of the airport. In fact, Detroit's wealthiest suburban county border (Oakland) is about 25 minutes north of the airport similar to Kansas City's wealthiest suburban county border (Johnson) being about 25 minutes south of the airport. There haven't been calls in Michigan to open a second airport in Oakland county (to commercial service). The NIMBYs would've hated to have the airport there.

KCI should stay where it is. They just need to make sure that they build a cost-effective terminal structure for present (and projected future) needs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2014, 07:29 PM
 
8 posts, read 7,572 times
Reputation: 39
Could someone tell me what the commute time is from western Shawnee/Lenexa area to KCI? Relocating to the area in June - hubby will be traveling on and out of KCI frequently - yet also has frequent mtgs in JoCo. Realtor suggested the above area as one that would accommodate both needs and said commute was not bad from this area due to proximity to 435. Coming into town on Monday to house hunt - but considering other areas too. Thx!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2014, 07:39 PM
 
13,718 posts, read 16,743,855 times
Reputation: 16767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamabadger View Post
Could someone tell me what the commute time is from western Shawnee/Lenexa area to KCI? Relocating to the area in June - hubby will be traveling on and out of KCI frequently - yet also has frequent mtgs in JoCo. Realtor suggested the above area as one that would accommodate both needs and said commute was not bad from this area due to proximity to 435. Coming into town on Monday to house hunt - but considering other areas too. Thx!
It's not bad. It depends on traffic, but if no traffic probably 20 minutes, 30 max. I live in Prairie Village and with no traffic I can get home in less than 30 minutes. If I were you I'd look further north, in Shawnee, to lessen the commute though - like west of 435, east of 7, north of Shawnee Mission Park, south of the river. Depends what you are looking for, but there's lots of newer housing along Shawnee Mission Parkway and Johnson Drive, west of 435 and east of 7 Highway. But I grew up out there and I'm partial to that area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2014, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
11,010 posts, read 20,844,501 times
Reputation: 6055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
There are trade offs whenever and wherever you decide to locate an airport.

Out here in Phoenix, as I mentioned earlier, the main airport is in the center of the metro area and 3 miles from Downtown.

The advantage is that almost nobody (except in the exurbs) complains that the airport is inconvenient. In fact, it's located within a 40 minute drive of at least 80-90% of the metro area's population. The disadvantage is that it is landlocked, is constantly subjected to noise ordinances and complaints by surrounding neighbors, and it effectively limits the maximum height of buildings in downtown Phoenix. Also, much of Phoenix's general aviation traffic is dispersed between several suburban airfields.

Kansas City and Detroit have the airport located in a similar position to downtown and the core of the suburban sprawl. In Kansas City the majority of the metro area population is South and East of the airport. In Detroit, the majority of the metro area population is North and East of the airport. In fact, Detroit's wealthiest suburban county border (Oakland) is about 25 minutes north of the airport similar to Kansas City's wealthiest suburban county border (Johnson) being about 25 minutes south of the airport. There haven't been calls in Michigan to open a second airport in Oakland county (to commercial service). The NIMBYs would've hated to have the airport there.

KCI should stay where it is. They just need to make sure that they build a cost-effective terminal structure for present (and projected future) needs.
DC, San Diego and San Jose are other cities with near downtown landlocked airports. Most large airports are in far flung locations though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2014, 08:59 PM
 
8 posts, read 7,572 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
If I were you I'd look further north, in Shawnee, to lessen the commute though - like west of 435, east of 7, north of Shawnee Mission Park, south of the river. Depends what you are looking for, but there's lots of newer housing along Shawnee Mission Parkway and Johnson Drive, west of 435 and east of 7 Highway. But I grew up out there and I'm partial to that area.

Thx!! This happends to be one of the exact areas we are looking in!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 24,538,361 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamabadger View Post
Thx!! This happends to be one of the exact areas we are looking in!
From out in that area, you take 435 up to the airport. It's basically a "country drive" the entire way. Traffic would be a non-issue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
11,010 posts, read 20,844,501 times
Reputation: 6055
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
From out in that area, you take 435 up to the airport. It's basically a "country drive" the entire way. Traffic would be a non-issue.
Kind of like taking 470 to DIA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 24,538,361 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Kind of like taking 470 to DIA
Except on 470, they charge $8 one way! I've only used that toll road once to get home from work, when the 25/225 freeways were totally jammed/accident filled. It was out of my way, but faster since nobody can afford to use it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:22 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top