U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 10:46 PM

99 posts, read 90,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Trust me, if things do change, KC will be one of the last cities in the nation to build whatever infrastructure that might be

Now if 1980's suburban office parks and strip malls come full circle, KC will be all over that!

Look at this project straight out of 1982 rearing its ugly head in 2014. "Mixed Use". LOL.

Big Overland Park mixed-use project City Place moves forward - KansasCity.com
Yeah cause the DC metro area isn't filled with developments like this.... NOVA is almost all like this, and they are building them currently. Don't pitch a fit when people build what others demand.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 10:50 PM

If you are gonna bash a development in OP...at least have the stones to admint that this kind of stuff is built in almost every city of the country. The KC area does not have a monopoly on suburban development.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:50 PM

21,949 posts, read 38,377,459 times
Quote:
Trust me, if things do change, KC will be one of the last cities in the nation to build whatever infrastructure that might be

Now if 1980's suburban office parks and strip malls come full circle, KC will be all over that!

Look at this project straight out of 1982 rearing its ugly head in 2014. "Mixed Use". LOL.

Big Overland Park mixed-use project City Place moves forward - KansasCity.com
That is another example of a project that should have REQUIRED open space and conservation land built into it. This was one of the very last properties in that entire area that was not developed. Yes, those apartment buildings will be quite appealing as they back right up to an 8-10 lane highway, adjacent to I-435. The office parks should add a good chunk to the city tax base, though

Old 01-15-2014, 10:51 PM

11,007 posts, read 20,726,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviastar View Post
No, it's just that most people see past the hype. I'm not saying KC is not good enough to have all that...we just don't want it. Many residents of KC don't want an over-hyped tourist magnet because we have the things that we like here without requiring any change at all. It's good for residents - we couldn't give a flip about what people who don't live here think.

I am curious as to what "potential" we are missing out on here. KC offers a pretty diverse range of living options, and amenities. To me, it fulfills it's potential pretty well - it appeals to its citizens. What it needs to focus on are problem areas like city schools.
A decent modern airport terminal is an over-hyped tourist magnet? okay...

The reason the city schools are bad is because KC has very few livable urban neighborhoods, not the other way around. That's what I mean by slow paced. KC sees very little gentrification compared to most cities except a few rustbelt cities. It's all about southern and western Johnson County, far southeastern Jackson County and the Liberty area. Everything else in KC is either decaying or seeing very minimal gentrification.

Potential? A metro of 2.2 million residents coming together and acting as one. Stop the bleeding of KCMO's corporate economy to Johnson County. Rebuild downtown KCK, build a "REGIONAL" transit system, even if it's freaking buses, fund the zoo, museums etc with a five or six county cultural tax, build some decent urban recreation along the rivers and connect the parks together with trails and bike paths and then USE THEM. Is all this sounding way to touristy to you? I hope not, because it's not.

I know KC is trying much of this, but it's just sooooo slowwww and with all the competing counties and cities, it's never what it should be for a larger city and metro like KC.

People in KC freak out about spending money to rebuild a public infrastructure asset like KCI and then don't blink an eye at all the corporate welfare that goes on there.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:

The reason the city schools are bad is because KC has very few livable urban neighborhoods, not the other way around. That's what I mean be slow paced. KC sees very little gentrification compared to most cities except a few rustbelt cities. It's all about southern and western Johnson County, far southeastern Jackson County and the Liberty area. Everything else in KC is either decaying or seeing very minimal gentrification.

Potential? A metro of 2.2 million residents coming together and acting as one. Stop the bleeding of KCMO's corporate economy to Johnson County. Rebuild downtown KCK, build a "REGIONAL" transit system, even if it's freaking buses, fund the zoo, museums etc with a five or six county cultural tax, build some decent urban recreation along the rivers and connect the parks together with trails and bike paths and then USE THEM. Is all this sounding way to touristy to you? I hope not, because it's not.

I know KC is trying much of this, but it's just sooooo slowwww and with all the competing counties and cities, it's never what it should be for a larger city and metro like KC.

People in KC freak out about spending money to rebuild a public infrastructure asset like KCI and then don't blink an eye at all the corporate welfare that goes on there.

1) Gentrification is not always a good thing.
2) Many other cities that build buses...they barely get used and operate at a tremendous loss. Even light rail has failed in many cities. I like MSP but the Hiawatha line does not make a profit and has become a money pit. So has DART. TriMet in Portland was running far in the red as of two years ago. The fact is that if you are not in the top handful of high-density cities in America public transportation is a much less valuable expenditure (and ROI much more questionable). KC will never have the density that those top 5 or 6 cities have - but there is nothing wrong with that. You'd be better of spending the money on car or gasoline subsidies...but I know cars aren't "cool"...
3) The zoo has come a long way and is still being improved. If you haven't been here in a while you shouldn't bash it.
4) the museums here are already top notch.
5) I love parks but the ones we have are underutilized. Show me the cost-benefit behind building more - will they get used?
6) The arts in this city attracts amazing talent - we have Yuja Wang coming in March (can't wait!) - she isn't visiting a lot of cities and it is the first time I get to see Rach III live. KC's Performing Arts Center is amazing and I am glad we had it done with private money. This isn't necessarily something the city gov't should get it's hands in...it has bigger fish to fry. Let private citizens fund it.
7) The city schools problem is not just a KC problem. Most big cities have problems with their school district. You can't insult KC's school district as if its some outlier when cities like DC and Baltimore have terrible problems too. I am sure that there is a solution for KC but it takes time.

This city is a lot better than you portray it.

Last edited by aviastar; 01-15-2014 at 11:07 PM..

Old 01-15-2014, 11:06 PM

13,710 posts, read 16,631,550 times
I love how kcmo and Granite Stater don't even live in KC anymore, and haven't for some time, but continue to come here and bash Kansas City and especially Johnson County. You guys left here and say you don't want to come back (although it depends on the day and the thread for kcmo - he has posted that he may retire in Kansas City and posted he may even live in the SUBURBS that he claims are so boring!) That's fine if you left and don't want to come back. We don't care! Obviously there are people who love it here. If not, Overland Park would not make the list of BEST PLACES TO LIVE in Money Magazine every year.

I never in my life saw people so obsessed with a place that they don't live and don't want to live. They don't live here, but seem to know everything that is going on in Kansas City, from talk of building a new airport, to a mixed-use project in Overland Park.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:07 PM

13,710 posts, read 16,631,550 times
Quote:

The reason the city schools are bad is because KC has very few livable urban neighborhoods, not the other way around. That's what I mean by slow paced. KC sees very little gentrification compared to most cities except a few rustbelt cities. It's all about southern and western Johnson County, far southeastern Jackson County and the Liberty area. Everything else in KC is either decaying or seeing very minimal gentrification.

What's it to you? You don't live here.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:11 PM

11,007 posts, read 20,726,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviastar View Post
Yeah cause the DC metro area isn't filled with developments like this.... NOVA is almost all like this, and they are building them currently. Don't pitch a fit when people build what others demand.
Yea, way out by Dulles. They are actually building mixed use near the beltway now and if you really know DC, you would know that there are many true mixed use and transit friendly suburban developments and business centers in the suburbs of both MD and VA. Even Baltimore has more livable and vibrant urban neighborhoods than KC and even Baltimore is seeing major corporate investment in the downtown area, something totally lacking in KC.

While Baltimore has more true urban neighborhoods than KC you can't even begin to compare DC to KC as far as urban gentrification.

And urban recreation, transit use, walking etc? Different worlds.

Oh and an area with DC plus TWO states gets along better than the KC area does on regional issues. Trains and buses actually cross state and county lines.

And corporate welfare? You can find cases of it being used, but very few and they are nothing like KC. Even in Baltimore where you would think they would use it they don't. A company wants to build a new office tower in downtown Baltimore and the city doesn't want to give them a simple tif. We are not talking the stuff that KC does like supertiff, star bonds, earnings tax reimbursements, overlay sales taxes or just a lot of cash (kansas). Just a little tif or property tax abatement.

Regardless, more goes on in one tiny area of a tiny part of central DC than KC sees in decades.

You don't want to compare KC to the DC area. They don't compare.

What I do see is cities like Pittsburgh and Cincinnati and Columbus, Nashville and Charlotte and Indianapolis and Austin and even Denver or Minneapolis doing things that KC should be doing. Those are peers to KC.

Those cities have better regional corporation and civic minded corporate communities. Check out how metro Denver gets along so well regionally, how the twin cities are on the same page, how northern KY works so well with the Ohio side of Cincy.

KC has plenty of missed potential.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I never in my life saw people so obsessed with a place that they don't live and don't want to live. They don't live here, but seem to know everything that is going on in Kansas City, from talk of building a new airport, to a mixed-use project in Overland Park.

The other city I lived in (and really liked) - Winter Haven/Orlando - does not have nearly the assets that KC has, aside from the weather. I don't understand why we residents would want to throw good money after things that we don't want just because some people in other cities have determined that they are "cool"...A.K.A super high density, light rail, gentrification, carless access, etc...

Old 01-15-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:

Those cities have better regional corporation and civic minded corporate communities. Check out how metro Denver gets along so well regionally, how the twin cities are on the same page, how northern KY works so well with the Ohio side of Cincy.

KC has plenty of missed potential.
Yes, but aside from schools and crime in the inner city, what does KC really need to improve? We have great things here already...I have lived in Overland Park for about a year now and it really doesn't seem to be lacking much for most the metro (including both sides of the State Line). I would bet if you polled most people here, they wouldn't want to be like DC..or Pittsburgh...or those other cities. And why should it matter if a neighborhood is "vibrant"...we have enough vibrancy in many parts of the city here (for the people that like that style of neighborhood).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or