Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 06:25 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,379,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Downtown KCK would be a good place for an airport. There's nothing worthwhile down there anyway, and it would be a central location.
Another good central location would be Prairie Village northeast Johnson County. Nothing much goes on there and you've got the flat terrain that would be perfect for runways....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 06:28 PM

180 posts, read 261,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Another good central location would be Prairie Village northeast Johnson County. Nothing much goes on there and you've got the flat terrain that would be perfect for runways....
Where in PV would there be the available space?

Old 01-06-2014, 06:31 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,869,496 times
Quote:
Downtown KCK would be a good place for an airport. There's nothing worthwhile down there anyway, and it would be a central location.
Lets just say money is no object and somehow Kansas is going to spend like 20-30 billion dollars removing most of central KCK and building an airport there. Let's ignore the idea of using eminent domain to move tens of thousands of residents and businesses. Let's also ignore all the nearly impossible to overcome environmental issues such as noise and other safety issues. Let's also ignore the fact that it would nearly impossible to build an airport there even if you could because of the KCMO skyline and downtown airport creating problems.

We do all this, close the existing airport and create all sorts of problems that KCI does not have (noise, landlocked etc) to the airport is 15 minutes closer to Johnson County.

Yea, you should really change your career. I see urban planning in your future!

Old 01-06-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveTransplant View Post
Where in PV would there be the available space?
I don't think she was serious, luz lives in PV

Old 01-06-2014, 07:18 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,244,911 times
Quote:
Not enough room.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Not enough room.
And there is in the middle of downtown KCK???

Old 01-06-2014, 07:59 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,762,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Lets just say money is no object and somehow Kansas is going to spend like 20-30 billion dollars removing most of central KCK and building an airport there. Let's ignore the idea of using eminent domain to move tens of thousands of residents and businesses. Let's also ignore all the nearly impossible to overcome environmental issues such as noise and other safety issues. Let's also ignore the fact that it would nearly impossible to build an airport there even if you could because of the KCMO skyline and downtown airport creating problems.

We do all this, close the existing airport and create all sorts of problems that KCI does not have (noise, landlocked etc) to the airport is 15 minutes closer to Johnson County.

Yea, you should really change your career. I see urban planning in your future!
Before the "new" Kansas City airport was built, there was preliminary talk of connecting Kansas City Municipal Airport with Fairfax Municipal Airport in Kansas City, Kansas. The two airports were right across the river from each other. The idea was to connect the two by extending taxiways and automobile roadways via bridges across the Missouri River.

Fairfax had more and longer runways than Kansas City Municipal did. Several thousand propeller bombers and jet fighters were built in the area and TWA had an overhaul facility there.

I thought the idea was rather far fetched because of the bridges and the weight of the airliners, but when I moved to the Denver area, Denver's Stapleton had two runways that extended across I-70 and even 747s could be seen taxing over the highway. These bridges were torn down when the new Denver airport opened in 1994.

Now, I understand that Fairfax has been long gone.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Before the "new" Kansas City airport was built, there was preliminary talk of connecting Kansas City Municipal Airport with Fairfax Municipal Airport in Kansas City, Kansas. The two airports were right across the river from each other. The idea was to connect the two by extending taxiways and automobile roadways via bridges across the Missouri River.

Fairfax had more and longer runways than Kansas City Municipal did. Several thousand propeller bombers and jet fighters were built in the area and TWA had an overhaul facility there.

I thought the idea was rather far fetched because of the bridges and the weight of the airliners, but when I moved to the Denver area, Denver's Stapleton had two runways that extended across I-70 and even 747s could be seen taxing over the highway. These bridges were torn down when the new Denver airport opened in 1994.

Now, I understand that Fairfax has been long gone.
I know this was talked about, but I wonder how serious the idea was. Building runways or taxi ways over roads via bridges and tunnels is quite common now, but I don't think crossing a major river has been attempted. How would you keep the river navigable? It would have been a nice location if it were possible though I'm sure residents would get tired of the low flying jets.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:05 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,244,911 times
Quote:
And there is in the middle of downtown KCK???
More room than PV. All of PV wouldn't be big enough for an airport. But I was mainly just trying to get under kcmo's skin! I knew the thought of an airport in KCK would set him off!

Old 01-06-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
More room than PV. All of PV wouldn't be big enough for an airport. But I was mainly just trying to get under kcmo's skin! I knew the thought of an airport in KCK would set him off!
I was being tongue and cheek, too. I didn't realize you were doing the same.

kcmo, that's some good photoshop work, btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City