Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 10:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Until six months ago, I lived right on the Plaza (46th Terr. and Pennsylvania, right by McCormick & Schmick), and if there were mobs of kids storming the Plaza every weekend, I somehow missed it. Maybe I just happened to be on the opposite end of the Plaza every time it happened or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 11:11 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Does KC play the ads before the news that say "It's 10 o'clock, do you know here your kids are?" They do here all the time. Don't recall KC stations doing that, but I guess it's pretty common.
I'm sure that would solve the problem. A few more public service announcements.

As the article says, it's their city too - what's the problem?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:48 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
....But also what I have heard is that these groups of 150 will "storm" a store on the Plaza and then move on to another store. Can you imagine 150 kids descending on your store at one time? I mean, it's not like they are shopping. Apparently the Apple Store is one of the places they like to go.
It seems like we would hear about that on the news. I guess they didn't steal anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Until six months ago, I lived right on the Plaza (46th Terr. and Pennsylvania, right by McCormick & Schmick), and if there were mobs of kids storming the Plaza every weekend, I somehow missed it. Maybe I just happened to be on the opposite end of the Plaza every time it happened or something.
I know people who live in Dunleith and other places north (and south) of the Plaza who rarely actually go to the Plaza and who avoid even driving through, especially at peak times such as on Friday and Saturday nights. I don't know why people are like that, but that's beside the point. Do you actually go to the Plaza? Did you observe 47th, Nichols Rd, and the JC Nichols fountain area regularly on weekend nights? Did you actually go to the Plaza on weekend nights? Movies, dinner?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:58 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Well, this problem has been going on for years now, so we shall see. The city and police seem to be getting serious about the problem judging from their latest statements and plans. They should have been at this point over 2-3 years ago when Mayor James had to duck for cover from nearby gunshots while showing around out-of-town guests. I saw on the new the other day a local pastor calling for plans and stating that something has to be done or these incidents will "destroy the city".

But I wonder how Westport is doing. I have heard it's calmed down, but am not sure. Last time I was down there on Friday or Saturday nights on a regular basis was 2010 and shootings and mobs were still a problem then. Back then I remember police used to literally herd the black youth/young adults like cattle.
I've lived in Westport for the past 5 months or so and haven't personally witnessed anything like this. I'm about 1.5 blocks away from the center of the neighborhood. I did see a larger group of about 15-20 teenagers when I was doing some holiday shopping at the Plaza in December but it was more of an annoyance because they were walking slowly and like 6-7 abreast and being rowdy and it was just impossible to pass them. I literally could not wait to get to the intersection to cross the street because it was just too much.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:30 AM

82 posts, read 144,939 times
I heard that a few stores have started closing earlier to avoid the trouble which is a shame.

The police chief said they'll be watching the movie schedules closely so they can station more officers around there when the popular movies get out.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I've lived in Westport for the past 5 months or so and haven't personally witnessed anything like this. I'm about 1.5 blocks away from the center of the neighborhood. I did see a larger group of about 15-20 teenagers when I was doing some holiday shopping at the Plaza in December but it was more of an annoyance because they were walking slowly and like 6-7 abreast and being rowdy and it was just impossible to pass them. I literally could not wait to get to the intersection to cross the street because it was just too much.
^Well that's good to hear. Like I said, the last incident in Westport I knew of was in 2010 and I've heard Westport has calmed down. Didn't a troublesome place close? What was it called?

Come to think of it, I searched around at that time (2010) and found no indication of what I witnessed in the media. 3 black guys chased 2 black girls into the parking garage on Mill St and the shots came after they were in the garage and out of my sight, but it was very close by. Before the gun shots I thought they were playing or messing around. Two of the cops herding people on Westport Rd ran the same direction the 5 people had before the shots occured. That makes me wonder how many other similar incidents go unreported.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:51 AM

82 posts, read 144,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
^Well that's good to hear. Like I said, the last incident in Westport I knew of was in 2010 and I've heard Westport has calmed down. Didn't a troublesome place close? What was it called?

Come to think of it, I searched around at that time (2010) and found no indication of what I witnessed in the media. 3 black guys chased 2 black girls into the parking garage on Mill St and the shots came after they were in the garage and out of my sight, but it was very close by. Before the gun shots I thought they were playing or messing around. Two of the cops herding people on Westport Rd ran the same direction the 5 people had before the shots occured. That makes me wonder how many other similar incidents go unreported.
America's Pub was a trouble spot and it closed down last year I think.

Westport itself always seemed ok as long as you stayed within the confines. I've had two different friends get into trouble once they ventured too far, but that's why I take taxis.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:41 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Apparently they congregate in Mill Creek Park before/after going to the Plaza.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmvf View Post
America's Pub was a trouble spot and it closed down last year I think.

Westport itself always seemed ok as long as you stayed within the confines. I've had two different friends get into trouble once they ventured too far, but that's why I take taxis.
You could certainly get robbed walking outside of Westport, especially in a north/northeastern direction (39th between Main and Broadway can be very sketchy), but the actual shootings, fights and herds tended to be in the very center of Westport in the middle of it all on Friday and Saturday nights, especially in the summer.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:35 AM

210 posts, read 428,534 times
Westport is changing pretty quickly from a rowdy bar area to a more mature restaurant scene. There's a freaking frozen yogurt place there now! There were a couple isolated crime incidents just north of Westport, but its a much safer area than it used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City